Accessories for ceiling ATMOS speakers

Hi

Was looking for a budget friendly ceiling ATMOS speakers. One of my friends suggested the focal ones https://www.stereophonic.com.au/focal-100-icw5-in-wall-in-ceiling-2-way-coaxial/

Im wondering if I need to buy the optional pre-mounting kit and fireproof box.

I cant see them on stereophonic though.

Cheers

• Moderators
6 hours ago, SangeethSamrat said:

Hi

Was looking for a budget friendly ceiling ATMOS speakers. One of my friends suggested the focal ones https://www.stereophonic.com.au/focal-100-icw5-in-wall-in-ceiling-2-way-coaxial/

Im wondering if I need to buy the optional pre-mounting kit and fireproof box.

I cant see them on stereophonic though.

Cheers

focal make great in ceilings and dont have to be expensive. i run a few myself for 3D audio(atmos) there is no pre mounting kit needed and a fire proof box i would suggest dont need. if have a fire saving your atmos speakers is probably leas of your worries :D

I got my vocals from melbourne hifi and they sell and recommend the dynamat, dynabox back boxes for all their installs. these are good for retrofit situations and you can also remove them post install if ever needed. i would highly recommend. it not only gives your speakers an exclosure. it means sound isnt travelling through your roof or ceiling space. also gives some protection for your speakers from creepy crawlies that tend to exist in roof and ceiling cavities. plus also if you had a leak or damp or something which is always possible in roof or ceiling spaces its not going to ruin your speakers ! leak or damp being more of a likely hood than fire ! 

backing boxes stop dust... check out the amount of crap that builds up over time in a ceiling space and its a no brainer purchase or diy.

Edited by hopefullguy
  • Like 1

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, SangeethSamrat said:

if buy from australia as do the speakers likely get cheaper. it is a flexible back box and very good one. if wanting cheaper suggest try make own :) 

3 hours ago, SangeethSamrat said:

Sounds like a very wise move to buy this.

Do you know where I can buy this in Melbourne?

i mentioned already melb hifi where got mine, but there might be other options :)

• 3 months later...

How did you go in the end, Sangeeth?

I’m also considering Focal in-ceilings to complete an Atmos setup.

On 08/02/2020 at 8:10 AM, betty boop said:

i run a few myself for 3D audio(atmos)

Which model did you go for, betty boop?

Was on the phone with Stereophonics earlier today & am hoping to get the 100 series delivered. Just waiting on specific details.

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, Ralfi said:

How did you go in the end, Sangeeth?

I’m also considering Focal in-ceilings to complete an Atmos setup.

Which model did you go for, betty boop?

Was on the phone with Stereophonics earlier today & am hoping to get the 100 series delivered. Just waiting on specific details.

hi Ralfi, I was lucky enough to buy a job lot of focal Electra IC1002 in ceilings which are a great match to my focal electra(surrounds + centre) and utopia mains. i bought job lot but literally paid for them piece meal over some year or so :D one at a time as budget permitted :D but i was in no rush as was still working things out etc.

I note below a bit of a discount form the importer/distributor. 50% off which is plain mad as discount :D 

https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/products/focal-chorus-ic-706-v-in-ceiling-speaker-each-ex-demo-unit

FOCAL CHORUS IC 706 V IN-CEILING SPEAKER EACH [EX-DEMO UNIT]Focal Clearance

$212.50 RRP $425.00

ps as per notes above do factor in some back boxes the dynamat as was recommended to me...excellent things.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, betty boop said:

I note below a bit of a discount form the importer/distributor. 50% off which is plain mad as discount :D 

https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/products/focal-chorus-ic-706-v-in-ceiling-speaker-each-ex-demo-unit

Yeah I spotted that deal. Looks good. How would they compare to the newer 100 series? Would any difference be noticed with two Atmos speakers? & if not, I guess I should just take up the better deal?

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Ralfi said:

Yeah I spotted that deal. Looks good. How would they compare to the newer 100 series? Would any difference be noticed with two Atmos speakers? & if not, I guess I should just take up the better deal?

looks like new series are same price literally, but will be twice what paying of this deal here. twice as better ? unlikely :D 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, betty boop said:

looks like new series are same price literally, but will be twice what paying of this deal here. twice as better ? unlikely :D 

Oh you mean same RRP.

Yeah the price of the 100 series was what I’m waiting on from Stereophonic as I’m sure they mentioned a model that worked out better priced than the older 706 series.

I’ll give them a call tomorrow & weigh things up.

• Like 1
  • Moderators
3 minutes ago, Ralfi said:

Yeah the price of the 100 series was what I’m waiting on from Stereophonic as I’m sure they mentioned a model that worked out better priced than the older 706 series.

yes rrp, $860 a pair

https://www.instylehifi.com.au/products/focal-100icw6-in-ceiling-speaker-pair

or $430 a pop

vs rrp $425 a pop for the previous 706...  or on special for $212 ea in deal above....

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, betty boop said:

yes rrp, $860 a pair

https://www.instylehifi.com.au/products/focal-100icw6-in-ceiling-speaker-pair

or $430 a pop

vs rrp $425 a pop for the previous 706...  or on special for $212 ea in deal above....

Ended up getting a quote today of $790 for the ICW6, so the 706 are much better value.

I understand the 706 are 10 year old models (like my current Focal speakers), so i'm wondering if they were manufactured with Atmos in mind back then & will they do the job adequately, or were they made as inconspicuous, in ceiling surround speakers?

I guess if they were the latter then they should deliver with Atmos tasks anyway right?

Edited by Ralfi
  • Moderators
23 minutes ago, Ralfi said:

Ended up getting a quote today of $790 for the ICW6, so the 706 are much better value.

I understand the 706 are 10 year old models (like my current Focal speakers), so i'm wondering if they were manufactured with Atmos in mind back then & will they do the job adequately, or were they made as inconspicuous, in ceiling surround speakers?

I guess if they were the latter then they should deliver with Atmos tasks anyway right?

hi ralfi there is no difference here :) the upfiring modules are the ones dolby claims re "atmos"

being 10 year old probably just a refresh. I wouldn't stress on it.... will do job more than adequately :) 

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, betty boop said:

hi ralfi there is no difference here :) the upfiring modules are the ones dolby claims re "atmos"

being 10 year old probably just a refresh. I wouldn't stress on it.... will do job more than adequately :) 

Just purchased the 706’s 😁. Any recommended install guides for a novice?

• Like 1
  • Moderators
3 minutes ago, Ralfi said:

the dolby guidelines great.... something i noticed in all my demoing... for the best systems i tended to start noticing... and this is if you dont want to get into angles and what not... is ... if sitting in main listening position looking forward.... without moving your head back you shouldn't be able to see the front heights.... but if you move your eye brows back looking up ... should just come in view... simple easy gauge :) 

and as far as width of positioning... just line them up with your mains or inside the line of your L&R mains.... ie if your mains are 2.5m apart the heights id place say 2-2.5m apart  for width across the room. thats it placed... 

you will find some limitations of what the ceiling joists are ... so will have to place to work around those... but if work to above will be pretty close. i wouldn't stress too much if slightly out...

• Thanks 1

More accurate to measure your seated ear height, subtract it from ceiling height and that figure is how far forward and rearward the height speakers should be. And that measurement is on the ceiling from directly above your ears.

• Thanks 1
40 minutes ago, betty boop said:

you will find some limitations of what the ceiling joists are .

Yeah those ceiling joists are what I was worried about, though as you say, even if positioning is out by a little it shouldn’t matter as the AVR’s speaker calibration should allow for it (is it has for my existing off-centre surrounds).

42 minutes ago, betty boop said:

and this is if you dont want to get into angles and what not... is ... if sitting in main listening position looking forward.... without moving your head back you shouldn't be able to see the front heights.... but if you move your eye brows back looking up ... should just come in view... simple easy gauge

Appreciate that. Yeah, how I was planning to install them, had them just out of view I think - I’ll post a pic of proposed positioning in my build thread later to show it. 

43 minutes ago, betty boop said:

and as far as width of positioning... just line them up with your mains or inside the line of your L&R mains...

Yeah mate that makes sense & lines up with my thinking. 👍🏼

• Like 1
On 13/05/2020 at 6:23 PM, Ralfi said:

Do you know how many they might of had? Looking for heights as well.

1 hour ago, SGS said:

Do you know how many they might of had? Looking for heights as well.

They said they had a few.

Btw, mine just arrived today. Very fast (& free)  shipping.

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...
On 13/05/2020 at 6:42 PM, niterida said:

More accurate to measure your seated ear height, subtract it from ceiling height and that figure is how far forward and rearward the height speakers should be. And that measurement is on the ceiling from directly above your ears.

Just want to calcify this as I’m about to install height speakers!

seated ear height = floor to your ear

subtract that from ceiling height. 
what ever that figure is, that should be how far forward from your ear that they should be mounted?

as in:

if floor to ear height is 950mm

ceiling height is 2800mm

difference is 1850mm

does that mean the heights should be installed 1850mm in front of ear?

Thanks!

On 14/01/2021 at 4:05 PM, paok_18 said:

Just want to calcify this as I’m about to install height speakers!

seated ear height = floor to your ear

subtract that from ceiling height. 
what ever that figure is, that should be how far forward from your ear that they should be mounted?

as in:

if floor to ear height is 950mm

ceiling height is 2800mm

difference is 1850mm

does that mean the heights should be installed 1850mm in front of ear?

Thanks!

Yes that is correct - 1850mm in front and behind.

Assuming you are installing 4 heights and not just 2 

For just 2 they go directly above you, although some people prefer them to be slightly in front.