Mind openers

I'm not telling any secrets when I say that small amounts of alcoholic beverages heighten the senses and sharpen the perception, not the least that of music. It is well known that Mendelssohn's Hebrides overture cannot be properly enjoyed without a wee dram of Islay Malt. Makes you want to be a Scot.

Not a great fan of clear spirits myself, I do enjoy Sibelius' Karelia Suite with an ice cold shot of Finlandia Vodka. It makes my heart soar.

These things just go together, hand in glove. They awaken patriotic feelings for countries you've never been to.

Now, picture my surprise as I find myself listening to – and thoroughly enjoying – Finlandia (the Segerstam recording with a male choir in the latter part) holding a glass of Laphroaig! What's going on, I ask myself. What happened to the natural order where a patch of Earth grows the music and the spirits to go with it? Is it in the end as mundane as any sip of alcohol enhancing any odd piece of music??

What's next, champagne with Wagner? Guinness with Vivaldi? Pre-mix with Bach?

Edited by Steffen
  • Like 1

Guest jakeyb77
3 hours ago, Steffen said:

I'm not telling any secrets when I say that small amounts of alcoholic beverages heighten the senses and sharpen the perception, not the least that of music. It is well known that Mendelssohn's Hebrides overture cannot be properly enjoyed without a wee dram of Islay Malt. Makes you want to be a Scot.

Not a great fan of clear spirits myself, I do enjoy Sibelius' Karelia Suite with an ice cold shot of Finlandia Vodka. It makes my heart soar.

These things just go together, hand in glove. They awaken patriotic feelings for countries you've never been to.

Now, picture my surprise as I find myself listening to – and thoroughly enjoying – Finlandia (the Segerstam recording with a male choir in the latter part) holding a glass of Laphroaig! What's going on, I ask myself. What happened to the natural order where a patch of Earth grows the music and the spirits to go with it? Is it in the end as mundane as any sip of alcohol enhancing any odd piece of music??

After reading this post I’m not sure if abstaining May be a better option ?

Guest jakeyb77
1 hour ago, andyr said:

What is that device, Ian?

Andy

You use it to take the lid off a human Andy. 
Or to hold it next to someone tied in a chair and go “buzz buzz” to get them to release info or cash or whatever. 

12 hours ago, muon* said:

I don't drink and never had that experience from alcohol, so when I read the title I thought of this :ninja:

I don't drink either. Not any more, that is. From personal experience, it would seem that the positive effects of musical appreciation delivered by alcohol can also make you a bit pompous and as sick as a dog in the morning. Sigh...........

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Steffen said:

Matching food to drink is an oldie but a goodie.Never thought matching tipple with music. I can see where you are coming from. For me it’s just wine or beer or whisky but only when sitting down for the afternoon session. But each to their own. 

Guest jakeyb77
1 minute ago, emesbee said:

I've never eaten carpet, don't reckon it would be very palatable (yes, I do know it was a TV program). Have never imbibed the magic fungus either.

There’s a great South Park episode about eating carpet ?

17 minutes ago, jakeyb77 said:

Magic Mushrooms and Eat Carpet on SBS was a winning combination in the 90’s.... So I’ve heard 

Oh, I loved that show! And yes, I can imagine that being a worthwhile combination to try :D

Psychedelic music of all forms is accurately named.  I have heard they go together very well.

Edit - and a rite of passage for any enthusiast, somebody once told me.

Edited by BuzzzFuzzz
  • Like 1

Apparently eating natural fiber carpet goes well with folk, cool jazz and classical music especially when played on reel-reel tape through tube amplification.

Synthetic fiber carpet goes well with dance music and synthesizer music played on CD or seamed into solid-state amplification. 

Blended fiber carpet goes well with easy-listening music, played on cassette or 8-track. 

...so I've been told. 

Edited by audiofeline
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

I need trepanning like a hole in the head

Haha - I like it, Trevor!!  :lol:   :thumb:

8 hours ago, jakeyb77 said:

You use it to take the lid off a human Andy. 

I asked my cardio surgeon what he used to cut open my sternum, when I saw him 6 weeks after the bypass op.  I was thinking he would've used an angle-grinder type of thing - but he said he used a saw.  I immediately thought of a device like my Bosch jig-saw - but maybe he actually meant a "surgeon's Dremel" - like the one Ian showed a pic of!

Andy

Edited by andyr
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, audiofeline said:

Apparently eating natural fiber carpet goes well with cool jazz and classical.

Synthetic fiber carpet goes well with dance music and synthesizer music. 

Blended fiber carpet goes well with easy-listening music. 

...so I've been told. 

I've got a liitle patch of Berber for African music.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, jakeyb77 said:

Magic Mushrooms and Eat Carpet on SBS was a winning combination in the 90’s.... So I’ve heard 

I don't recommend going on the big dipper whilst partaking in said fungi.