TV Dilemma

Hey All,  Just wondering if anyone can help me in the right direction my wife just rang and informed me that, My 60" TV in the lounge room just blew-up so time for an upgrade my budget is around the $2500 mark I will be Neg diff shops  for a 75" what would you recommend Brand Model number etc;   Cheers....

Had a quick look at Videopro.  You could try a Sony 75" KD75X8000G which they're selling for a bit less than $2.3k.  We recently bought the higher spec (KD65X9500G) Sony LCD at 65".  Cost us a few bucks less than $2k delivered.  But the 75" size of that model is well over your budget.  Is 75" necessary? 

• Like 1

Not necessary but thought my old TV was 60" and was 10yrs old so 75" would be a great up grade I was looking at something like the LG-75SM8600PTA if I can push it to $2500 or the LG-75SM7600PTA for $2000 There is also a

Sony-X8000G 75", for $2000. So many hard to know the best buy...

Harvey Norman, back in early January.  Pretty well all the usual outlets (HN, Good Guys, JB Hi Fi etc etc) had them for around that price.  They seem to have gone up since then.  Weird, since there was a new model (x9500h ??)  introduced at the CES which will probably be introduced here in Oz sometime in the next 4-6 months.  Anyway, the Sony 65" X9500G is a very good flat screen IMHO.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Yetiman said:

Not necessary but thought my old TV was 60" and was 10yrs old so 75" would be a great up grade I was looking at something like the LG-75SM8600PTA if I can push it to $2500 or the LG-75SM7600PTA for $2000 There is also a

Sony-X8000G 75", for $2000. So many hard to know the best buy...

If picture quality is important to you then avoid TVs with an IPS panel such as the LG M86OO or 7600 or any lower end Sony models.  IPS panels are terrible for contrast and black levels.   IPS panels, to be fair, will provide a wider viewing angle than TVs with a VA panel so if your lounge configuration includes a wide seating arrangement, then an IPS unit may suit you.

The Sony X8000G in the 75" version utilises a VA panel (the smaller sizes come with an IPS panel),  however it is an edge lit TV so will be limited in its ability to display HDR material as intended by the director.    Suggest you purchase the 65"  Sony 950G which is a full array local dimming TV utilising a VA panel that will give you a much more "immersive" experience with movies.  

I would also look at the Samsung Q70R which is also a quality full array local dimming television.  I believe it is currently on special at JBs for about $2300.

Hope this helps.  

• Like 3

Just be aware ips panels have far better viewing angle ... which eg in our setup is important. Refresh rate is another 

good article below on lcd tech pros cons ..,
https://www.techspot.com/article/1788-display-tech-compared/

VA and IPS panels are both significantly better, with IPS being the best overall for viewing angles. 178/178 viewing angle ratings are a realistic reflection of what you can expect with an IPS, you won’t get much shift in colors or contrast from any angle. VAs are good in this regard but not as good as IPS, mostly due to contrast shifts at off-center angles. With VAs and especially TNs having some color and contrast shifts when viewing at angles, they’re not as well suited to color-critical professional work as IPS panels, which is why you see most pro-grade monitors sticking to IPS.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 07/02/2020 at 6:37 PM, brumby said:

Had a quick look at Videopro.  You could try a Sony 75" KD75X8000G which they're selling for a bit less than $2.3k.  We recently bought the higher spec (KD65X9500G) Sony LCD at 65".  Cost us a few bucks less than $2k delivered.  But the 75" size of that model is well over your budget.  Is 75" necessary? 

Prices have definitely gone up. The 65" X85G now sits just under 2K.

Edited by Sansui77

59 minutes ago, williac said:

the Sony ebay store has box damaged (not refurbished) Sony X95G 65" for under $2000 if you apply the 15% code at the moment, which is a pretty good deal.  

Link Here:  https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sony-65-X95G-Full-Array-LED-4K-Ultra-HD-Smart-Android-TV-Box-Damaged-/283797298815?hash=item4213a31e7f

Great price & great TV. Bought a 55" X85G recently and I have no complaints from me.