Help me choose atmos ceiling speakers

Hi guys. Another help me choose thread. I am currently building my house and planning to have a 5.2.2 setup in my theatre room. Room measurements are 4240mm X 3080mm, ground floor of a 2 storey home in Sydney North West. My current speakers are all Richter MK4 speakers. Have not decided on a AV Receiver yet as the build still have a few months to go but leaning towards a Sony STR-DN1080. Usage would be 80% movies and 20% music. I am looking to get a pair of ceiling speakers for atmos use. My budget is around $500 but can be stretched if necessary. Any suggestions on ceiling speakers that I should look into, which would be a match for my current setup?

Reading through some other forums, I am considering the below, but this is only based on my limited research.

1. https://www.selby.com.au/pair-of-8in-angled-glass-fibre-ceiling-speakers-xd8205b-x2.html

2. https://www.customht.com.au/products/ns-ic800?variant=14009024544820&currency=AUD&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google+shopping&gclid=CjwKCAiAj-_xBRBjEiwAmRbqYqUTjJD_qtRPY4ljtjTx-S0A6j8l8A5j_XWP0sUXE43JjFZ6SquQbxoC5rYQAvD_BwE

Appreciate any help. Thank you. 

Edited by ExCaLiBur9

I'll let others recommend the speakers, but you might want to reconsider the Sony STR-DN1080 - it has a maximum power consumption of 240W. After applying 70% typical class A/B amplifier efficiency that leaves 168W spread over 7 channels i.e. 24W per channel. That's before we consider power losses for the pre-amp section etc.

You really need highly efficient speakers and/or low listening levels to avoid clipping with this Mr Puniverse of receivers. Almost any other brand would be better.

8 minutes ago, Quark said:

I'll let others recommend the speakers, but you might want to reconsider the Sony STR-DN1080 - it has a maximum power consumption of 240W. After applying 70% typical class A/B amplifier efficiency that leaves 168W spread over 7 channels i.e. 24W per channel. That's before we consider power losses for the pre-amp section etc.

You really need highly efficient speakers and/or low listening levels to avoid clipping with this Mr Puniverse of receivers. Almost any other brand would be better.

Hey Quark. Thanks for the insight. Read a lot of good reviews on the Sony, could be misleading. What would you recommed? Trying not to spend more than 1k if possible. My current AVR is an old Marantz SR6008. Was also considering a Yammy RX-V685. Thoughts?

26 minutes ago, ExCaLiBur9 said:

Hey Quark. Thanks for the insight. Read a lot of good reviews on the Sony, could be misleading. What would you recommed? Trying not to spend more than 1k if possible. My current AVR is an old Marantz SR6008. Was also considering a Yammy RX-V685. Thoughts?

The 685 would be a much better option. :)

• Like 1

Consider the environment your atmos speakers are going in Excalibur ; its a good move to have an enclosed back so dust isn't a factor and the driver has a known displacement to interact with . The more frequency extension you can afford the better ;I have Krix ;  well known aussie pedigree :)

https://www.krix.com.au/in-ceiling/

Edited by cwt
  • Like 1

If you spend $100 on second hand speakers than you can move remaining $400 toward new AVR.  

BTW your old Marantz is better than that brand new Sony. You need to get Marantz SR6013 or better me think. 

Guest niterida

I may have a Pioneer VSX 1131 5.1.2 receiver up for sale soon - it was stop gap while I replaced my failed Yamaha RX-A3040 with a RX-V3079 and Rotel 5 channel amp.

I have only just installed the new gear so not fully set up but the new gear doesn't sound any different to the Pioneer !!

Those Tannoys I linked have a sealed back and you seriously cannot go wrong - buy 4 just in case you decide to upgrade to .4 Atmos later - although in your sized room .2 will be OK.

$100 for 2 Tannoys and $400 for my receiver - $500 for a (mild) killer setup ?

Edited by niterida

What Richters?

I have the Yamy RXV685 running 5.1.2 - Richter Harlequin V (mains),  Jamo centre, Richter Merlins V (rear surr) and Dali Altico C1 (rear height/atmos) and an SVS SB2000 in a 4m x 5M (ish) room.

Amp doesn't have an issue running them (wife usually complains its too loud?)

2 hours ago, hometheatrebugbitten said:

What Richters?

I have the Yamy RXV685 running 5.1.2 - Richter Harlequin V (mains),  Jamo centre, Richter Merlins V (rear surr) and Dali Altico C1 (rear height/atmos) and an SVS SB2000 in a 4m x 5M (ish) room.

Amp doesn't have an issue running them (wife usually complains its too loud?)

I'm running the Richter Wizards IV for mains, Unicorn for center, Merlins IV for surround and an old harman kardon for sub. 

Edited by ExCaLiBur9
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, ExCaLiBur9 said:

Between the Yammy RX-V685 and Marantz SR6014, or even with the Onkyo TX-NR686 anyone had any experience with any of them? which would be recommended for my 5.2.1 setup? 

The Marantz SR6014 would be the clear leader out of the three, but in a different price league too. It has the best room correction (Audyssey XT32).  Onkyo's room correction is pathetic and I have trouble recommending them after their many years of appalling reliability and repeated assurances that it was fixed with each new release only to find over time that it wasn't (I used to be an Onkyo/Integra fan when they were in their heyday).

10 minutes ago, Quark said:

The Marantz SR6014 would be the clear leader out of the three, but in a different price league too. It has the best room correction (Audyssey XT32).  Onkyo's room correction is pathetic and I have trouble recommending them after their many years of appalling reliability and repeated assurances that it was fixed with each new release only to find over time that it wasn't (I used to be an Onkyo/Integra fan when they were in their heyday).

Good point @Quark. The Marantz price looks like almost double that of the Onkyo 696 or yammy 685. Since I only plan to buy in the next 4-6 months and only need 5.2.1 setup, do you think the Marantz SR5013 would be an option too if i wanted to lower the cost? 

3 minutes ago, ExCaLiBur9 said:

Good point @Quark. The Marantz price looks like almost double that of the Onkyo 696 or yammy 685. Since I only plan to buy in the next 4-6 months and only need 5.2.1 setup, do you think the Marantz SR5013 would be an option too if i wanted to lower the cost? 

The SR5013 and its replacement the SR5014, only have Audyssey XT room correction and its a big step backwards from XT32 (does minimal bass EQ, which is where you generally need it most).

Consider a Denon X3500 (on runout) or X3600. Denon is the sister brand of Marantz and shares a lot of tech. Still going to cost a lot more than your other options.