Epson TW9400 calibration

I found this guide (5050UB)  which will be relevant for calibrating the Epson TW9400. 

I hope to have mine next week to work through this.  Havent found other concise guides for the projector.

https://www.projectorreviews.com/epson/epson-home-cinema-5050ub-4k-capable-home-theater-projector-review-calibration-settings/

just be VERY careful just plugging in settings guys. i helped with 9400. there were a lot of way off settings in it I found had to mostly all put back to factory ! lot of the settings ie brightness, contrast, really shouldn't even play wiht unless using a pattern. and actually the factory 0 is probably pretty good if just looking by eye. 

main thing is actually setting luminance a light meter is handy but it really depends on screen size vs throw... and then adjust lamp level and iris. 

A calibration is really dependant on room and setup as well as determines final image. There is a difference between calibrating and plugging in settings. you can't calibrate a projector by plugging in settings. need to calibrate it in my opinion. not to say there are some basics cant do. but its minimal in my opinion need to play with or should unless doing a full calibration.

• Like 1

I've used both those links to set up three memory settings. All are very bright as they use the higher lamp settings. Not bad in my Family room set up but I could imagine quite OTT in a theatre room.

Is it a new PJ ? If so I'd leave off calibration until it had at least 150 hours on the electronics and the lamp.

You'll find with new lamps that they don't drift down slowly to lesser light output, they will put out high lumens and then you will have a sudden drop to a lot less, the lesser output will be your new norm, it from then on slowly drift downward RE light output, you want to wait until the PJ is at this state before calibration, the first big drop from new is not a subtle drop, it is very noticeable when it happens.

Grey tracking /white balance etc [same thing] is the thing you really need to get correct, it's a PITA but worth it.

The Epsom only having a 8 point adjustment for the Grey scale does hamper you quite a bit, as it means you'll have to stuff about a lot trying to get those 8 points even.

You can still use your calibration software finer Grey scale adjustments [I think ChromaPure has 20 point adjustment] it will just mean a bit [lot] more twoing and frowing between setting to get it correct, as your PJ's adjustments are going to be very coarse compared to other PJ's/TV with 20+ point adjustment.

To calibrate with a IRIS open or closed is another thing you have to decide before you even attempt a calibration, it's either one or the other.

Watch a few movies with both the Iris set at AUTO and the same movies with the Iris set open.

Decide if the Iris closed [Auto] gives better Black levels / contrast compared to fully open, if you feel it looks better with the Iris closed, then have your Iris closed when doing all metering / calibration

I use ChromaPure as well, I've always followed this guide/ walk through for calibration

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35322

Edited by Tweaky
  • Like 2

Thanks Tweaky,  I haven't done a HDR calibration before so I can feel some time in the bat cave scratching my head coming up.  PITA about the 8 point,  at least they could have provided 10 point; somewhat disappointing.

TBH the I wouldn't bother doing a HDR calibration, it's only worth doing if you have a Native 4K PJ, even doing it for my 4K Panasonic was barely noticeable, reason being that there is no 'Standard' RE: NIT's [Light output] for UHDR to measure at.

Also there is no range within the controls on the TV'PJ  in that UHDR that you can make a meaningful difference with.

UHDR is 'pie in the sky' reference that has been agreed upon, more as a target spec, problem is NO screen/monitor/PJ on the planet can get even close to reproducing those specs.

The Grey scale should remain the same regardless [Thank God], it's only the colour gamut that will differ.

You can make subtle adjustments with the UHDR colour, but TBH they are very subtle.

Also, if going the extra yard for UHDR calibration, you have to use the actual machine you are going to use for that 4K Disc playback.....I found that my Panasonic 4k Disc player sends out a over vivid signal, colours can be garish....if I use the same 4k disc player to calibrate colour, then that garishness can be neutralized

• 9 months later...