Sub $1k MC Phonostage or Back to MM??

16 minutes ago, andyr said:

You now realise:

1.   what an over-marketed PoH (Hype!  :) ) the Mani is, @Fubar990:lol:
  2.  and how a phono stage can radically change your enjoyment of a cartridge!

As you probably know, the specs for your kontrapunkt A say, the loading recommendation is 50-500 ohms.  I recommend comparing a load of 500 ohms (against your current 100 ohms) - just to see how it sounds.  :)

Good luck,

Andy

Don't mean to derail the thread, but i'm genuinely interested Andy as you clearly have much experience and knowledge on the subject. If the Mani is over marketed hype, what else at approx $250RRP betters it?

I ask this as i'm looking for an ultra cheap phono to get a mate up and running and i thought the Mani would fit the bill.

Way OT so possibly better via PM...

2 hours ago, Fubar990 said:

Just loaded it to 475 ohms on Andy's advice. Man, I got Canonball and Miles in my lounge room. Awesome

Excellente!  :thumb:  (Glad that changing load is so easy with the Nova!  :) )

Andy

2 hours ago, wikeeboy said:

Don't mean to derail the thread, but i'm genuinely interested Andy as you clearly have much experience and knowledge on the subject. If the Mani is over marketed hype, what else at approx $250RRP betters it?

I ask this as i'm looking for an ultra cheap phono to get a mate up and running and i thought the Mani would fit the bill.

Way OT so possibly better via PM...

Not OT at all, W.  :thumb:

People talk about it as punching waaay above its weight - whereas what I would say is ... you get what you pay for.  @Fubar990 has heard how much better-sounding the Nova II is ... but then it is  more expensive!

If you want to get your mate up and running then - as presumably F is now getting rid of his ... you may be able to get hold of a Mani for him, for much less than its $250 rrp.  :)  Whether it sounds better than the $50 one that Jaycar sells ... that is the $64,000 question!  :lol:

Andy

PS:  Cart loading has been a hobby horse of mine for a couple of decades.  9_9  This led me into developing my own phono stage - the 'Muse' - which allows variable loading to be easily achieved.

• Like 3

Andy,  Wikee 

What I can tell you is that the mani  royally shat all over the nad pp2 and the Cambridge (can't even remember what the model number was it was so horrible).  The mani is lovely,  really.  It is only because I bought a nice table that happened to have a lovely mc cart on it that I did anything at all... and as I mentioned earlier,  even with the kontra, the mani wasn't  horrible.... and I still think it's a great mm phono.... it's just that I've got a hold of a great phono stage that,  in 2013 retailed for £1200, for a good price... and it's opened my eyes to what's possible. 

If your mate is starting,  the mani is more than adequate in my opinion. 

Edited by Fubar990
  • Like 1