Buyer Beware - Scammer Warning

8 minutes ago, mjledme said:

Hi Bruno, may I know why PayPal is supposed to safer than bank transfer? Thank you.

If you dont get anything, you at least can claim that and get your money back. 
lately i bought something on gumtree and i got no reply after paying. It was just an old $50 ipod. i got my money back.
You have to pay as 'good or service' and not Family and friends.

21 minutes ago, Bruno28 said:

Ive had an issue once where i paid $800 and the bank was of no help, neither was the police. Luckily he was a druggy and had given me his passport as proof, which was his real passport. Apparently he had done this to 60 or more poeple.
He got 3 months jail, but i never got my money as i needed to fill in a form that required his address. The police couldn't share his address as its breaching privacy. SO it was a close loop that wouldn't allow me to get my money back.

Just went through every reply of this post. Learned a lesson. Luckily I successfully suppressed the urge of purchase this morning...

But Bruno what you experienced makes me sad and outrageous! The police asked you for the address of the scammer and protected his privacy?! How ridiculous!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bruno28 said:

If you dont get anything, you at least can claim that and get your money back. 
lately i bought something on gumtree and i got no reply after paying. It was just an old $50 ipod. i got my money back.
You have to pay as 'good or service' and not Family and friends.

Okay embarrassed but have to admit I never knew it before...thanks Bruno. Luckily the ppl I dealt with in this forum are more than honest...

I've gotta chime in and say PayPal isn't that great of an option for private sales either. I once bought a surface tablet, received it and the pen was missing. Told the seller and they said they'd look for it. Followed up with them a few days later and no response. Opened a dispute with PayPal to which the seller responded there and only to PayPal, didn't say a thing to me.

PayPal wanted me to go file a police report and get a copy of it (which i think costs $70). They make it a hassle to turn people off of continuing going through with the dispute.

Guest jakeyb77

I collect vintage guitars and same thing happens with those ads. Heaps on Facebook now. Stolen ads from Overseas. 
I’ve stopped hundreds of them. 
Just the way it is. 

Thanks Marc for the vigilance! ?

Just a word of advice for sellers:  If a buyer pays with paypal but is going to pick up, the seller needs to get either a receipt of pickupsigned by the buyer, or a photo of the buyer with the goods.  If not, the buyer can say he never got the goods and put a claim in with Paypal and they WILL give the buyer your money.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bruno28 said:

Ive had an issue once where i paid $800 and the bank was of no help, neither was the police. Luckily he was a druggy and had given me his passport as proof, which was his real passport. Apparently he had done this to 60 or more poeple.
He got 3 months jail, but i never got my money as i needed to fill in a form that required his address. The police couldn't share his address as its breaching privacy. SO it was a close loop that wouldn't allow me to get my money back.

This type of bureaucratic b/s really gets under my skin. 

What happened to simple logic and common sense, and looking after victims?

Perhaps you can do your own detective work and find his address (to pass onto the police, not to do him harm).  Wait a minute - you have his address - c/o Her Majesty's Prison, Australia. 

Edited by audiofeline

8 minutes ago, t_mike said:

Stolen words generally means the scammer doesn't have English as a first language.

Generally true but may not be applicable to this case/OP.

In his profile page (https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/profile/278764-hibard/) you can see that he joined the community on 30th Jan 2020 and did posted a few topics and replies after that. I was wondering which is the case: EITHER he joined the community with scamming as a purpose in mind, just using the activities (replying and posting) as a camouflage; OR he joined with no intention of scamming at all but somehow just decided to do this only after one week?

Edited by mjledme
grammar

4 minutes ago, mjledme said:

In his profile page (https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/profile/278764-hibard/) you can see that he joined the community on 30th Jan 2020 and did posted a few topics and replies after that. I was wondering which is the case: EITHER he joined the community with scamming as a purpose in mind, just using the activities (replying and posting) as a camouflage; OR he joined with no intention of scamming at all but somehow just decided to do this only after one week?

I would bet your first suggestion.

Guest jakeyb77
6 minutes ago, mjledme said:

You need to participate (post and reply) to access the classifieds on this site. That would be the only reason the scumbag would have posted at all. 

6 minutes ago, jakeyb77 said:

You need to participate (post and reply) to access the classifieds on this site. That would be the only reason the scumbag would have posted at all. 

OMG okay you teach me a lesson mate lol. Didn’t even know that...?

11 minutes ago, furtherpale said:

Steve Hoffman forums require 50 posts and 30 days.

Seems like a great idea IMO. Although I would always accept bank transfer from those I know and trust and I am sure they would  do the same for me.

I would never accept PayPal as a form of payment from someone who I didn't know really well

Lately this place has become a revolving door of people just joining to sell. There are many exceptions of course and I understand that this has been discussed at length, but I think it is worth re visiting.

• Like 1

Guest jakeyb77

Major one at the moment is duplicating Facebook profiles and then listing items. They steal all the photos etc. so the profile looks legit. 
You can also see this happen as the new profile generally tries to add the friends of the original profile. 
If you get a friend request from someone that is already a friend is a sign. 

Edited by jakeyb77