Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone, 

Good day can any one recommend a good budget power conditioner.

 

Thank you.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can recommend  the ifi I power strip available from addicted to audio

 

Not really budget but   well made unit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many people here like power conditioners but I prefer not to use one.   Found that it slowed down the rhythm and pace of the music. To test, play something with a fast beat and see whether it is acceptable.

 

When you said budget, what is your limit?   Cheaper brands include Thor, Consonance, Isotek

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/02/2020 at 9:30 PM, Snoopy8 said:

Many people here like power conditioners but I prefer not to use one.   Found that it slowed down the rhythm and pace of the music. To test, play something with a fast beat and see whether it is acceptable.

 

When you said budget, what is your limit?   Cheaper brands include Thor, Consonance, Isotek

Thank you for your comment Snoopy8, about the draw back of your experienced with a power conditioner. I had not heard about this before. I had only heard positives about power conditioners.

 

I had considered a power conditioner myself. But now I am not so sure, if this is the best way to spend that kind of money. After all even a budget power conditioner and then the cables for each piece of equipment results in quite a few $$.

 

Happy listening.

Edited by ampup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, ampup said:

Thank you for your comment Snoopy8, about the draw back you experienced with a power conditioner. I had not heard about this before. I had only heard positives about power conditioners.

 

I had considered a power conditioner myself. But now I am not so sure, if this is the best way to spend that kind of money. After all even a budget power conditioner and then the cables for each piece of equipment results in quite a few $$.

I was happy running power conditioners for many months because they gave a blacker background. I did not realise its impact on the rhythm and pace of the music until I looked for it.  However, I know many people happily use power conditioners, so you need to test for yourself whether it works for your setup and your listening preferences.

 

There is a constant battle to decide where to spend your $$ on the next upgrade. Often, it is a matter of trying things. It is cheaper to get something from the Classifieds and flip it if it is does not work.

 

Most importantly, enjoy the journey. Happy listening...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you Snoogy8 for the elaboration (directly above post)of your reason to not use a power condition.

 

In the end the journey is about Trade Off's, i guess ( do not wish to put words into your mouth), ie. Advantages vs Disadvantages.

 

Each person has their own vision of Nirvana.        

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


@SBM, what is the system you are wanting to condition?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AVR , Subwoofer , Integrated amplifier. Thank you

 

I have already purchased Thor power board

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SBM said:

AVR , Subwoofer , Integrated amplifier. Thank you

 

I have already purchased Thor power board

Ok, in that case, try with and without (unless it is purely for protection) if it doesnt sound definitely better (or even maybe worse) then dont keep it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the Thor you may want to connect everything except the AVR and Integrated amps.

 

I found that the Thor power boards limits the on demand current supply for amps and they lose some dynamics as a result, at least that is my theory why this happens. Others have noticed this loss in dynamic performance when using these with amplifiers.

I have just a 20 watt valve amp and a CD player, I connected the CD player to 2x Thor Duo's daisy chained for extra filtering by itself and it made a difference to the players performance, but I have now plugged the amp into an unfiltered board so it performs dynamically as it should.

Edited by muon*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


3 hours ago, muon* said:

With the Thor you may want to connect everything except the AVR and Integrated amps.

 

I found that the Thor power boards limits the on demand current supply for amps and they lose some dynamics as a result, at least that is my theory why this happens. Others have noticed this loss in dynamic performance when using these with amplifiers.

I have just a 20 watt valve amp and a CD player, I connected the CD player to 2x Thor Duo's daisy chained for extra filtering by itself and it made a difference to the players performance, but I have now plugged the amp into an unfiltered board so it performs dynamically as it should.

Thank you for your comment, as this clarifies one method, of how a power conditioner can improve sound in a system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That the Thor boards though, some say some of the more expensive ones don't negatively effect amps, but I can't recall what ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have Thor Ps10 the latest one with accompanying filtering power board in one system and Thor A12bf just the power board in another.

Simply excellent both of them, if filtering is not your thing just plug into the bank 1 on the Thor power board, it will provide the protection as all the other banks but without filtering as per conversations with the Thor manufactures/suppliers.

Thor ps10 will have the added benefits of stable voltage, even in Sydney where I am it’s not unusual to get steady 250v plus on many occasions during the day.

Neo

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/02/2020 at 9:30 PM, Snoopy8 said:

Many people here like power conditioners but I prefer not to use one.   Found that it slowed down the rhythm and pace of the music. 

Mate, you should have posted that in Joke of the Day - very good.   I hope everyone realises you were tongue in cheek.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


24 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Mate, you should have posted that in Joke of the Day - very good.   I hope everyone realises you were tongue in cheek.

Not tongue in cheek, was what I found in my setup. Power conditioners are not for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

Not tongue in cheek, was what I found in my setup. Power conditioners are not for me.

Did you try with everything bar the amps connected?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, muon* said:

Did you try with everything bar the amps connected?

I did try removing my active speakers but still did not like the impact of the power conditioners on my system.  At the end of the day, it is a personal preference not to use most power conditioners.

 

P/s I do use a Holton DC Blocker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve got an old Thor PS10 looking after my HT system. Can’t really say if it improves or distracts sonics but keen to find a way to improve my main stereo system without breaking the bank. Does anyone have experience with the PS Audio P3 or 5?

On 05/02/2020 at 8:30 PM, Snoopy8 said:

Many people here like power conditioners but I prefer not to use one.   Found that it slowed down the rhythm and pace of the music. To test, play something with a fast beat and see whether it is acceptable.

 

When you said budget, what is your limit?   Cheaper brands include Thor, Consonance, Isotek

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting thread. I'm a qualified electronics engineer, and I design and build amplifiers as a hobby amongst other things. Power conditioning strips are (IMHO) a hugely overpriced waste of time - all properly designed amplifiers and other audio equipment connected to the mains have mains filtering already built into them and should be designed so that typical noise spikes are addressed and essentially always inaudible. Mains electricity can certainly be very noisy, but the snake oil "conditioners" sold mostly won't do anything real or measurable to cure that - they often contain little more than a few 10 cent capacitors and a simple (few dollars cost) surge limiter, active or passive, for some kind of added protection over what the fuse and X1 line filter & safety capacitor in your audio system already provides by design. 

 

If you don't, for whatever reason, trust the filtering in your audio equipment (even though this is a core component of any decent power supply design) then there are two alternatives you can consider which provide true isolation from the mains; using a computer UPS (AC converted to DC to charge a battery, then the battery feeds an AC inverter to recreate a 50Hz AC "mains" which will be clean of any noise on the original line...though may have other much more predictable and thus easy to filter harmonic switching noise). Or just get an isolation transformer of suitable wattage......this takes 240V mains and couples it through a 1:1 transformer to generate again a fully isolated 240V supply you can plug your equipment straight into. These are quite expensive solutions but honestly at least your money is going into something tangible that does actually work, as opposed to a plastic strip board with a few cheap components and an LED which does nothing much at all.

 

If you are really worried about noise or hum coupling and transfer in your system, you could invest in a balanced interconnect between source and amplifier (if equipment supports it) as any residual noise from mains or any other source will be greatly removed, which is why pro audio has always used differential connections. 

 

My opinion only of course, everyone has their own view of this stuff and nobody is "right" about what you can or cannot hear !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Sabercat. I am not having any hum or noises in the speakers. I am just trying to stop spike or surge to my AVR and subwoofer as precaution as added security for longevity.

 

I was thinking to buy Thor power board (cost $150-250$)

 

Based on your suggestions. I think, I should not waste that 150$?

 

Much appreciated your time.

 

Regards

SBM

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Sabercat said:

Interesting thread. I'm a qualified electronics engineer, and I design and build amplifiers as a hobby amongst other things. Power conditioning strips are (IMHO) a hugely overpriced waste of time - all properly designed amplifiers and other audio equipment connected to the mains have mains filtering already built into them and should be designed so that typical noise spikes are addressed and essentially always inaudible. Mains electricity can certainly be very noisy, but the snake oil "conditioners" sold mostly won't do anything real or measurable to cure that - they often contain little more than a few 10 cent capacitors and a simple (few dollars cost) surge limiter, active or passive, for some kind of added protection over what the fuse and X1 line filter & safety capacitor in your audio system already provides by design. 

 

If you don't, for whatever reason, trust the filtering in your audio equipment (even though this is a core component of any decent power supply design) then there are two alternatives you can consider which provide true isolation from the mains; using a computer UPS (AC converted to DC to charge a battery, then the battery feeds an AC inverter to recreate a 50Hz AC "mains" which will be clean of any noise on the original line...though may have other much more predictable and thus easy to filter harmonic switching noise). Or just get an isolation transformer of suitable wattage......this takes 240V mains and couples it through a 1:1 transformer to generate again a fully isolated 240V supply you can plug your equipment straight into. These are quite expensive solutions but honestly at least your money is going into something tangible that does actually work, as opposed to a plastic strip board with a few cheap components and an LED which does nothing much at all.

 

If you are really worried about noise or hum coupling and transfer in your system, you could invest in a balanced interconnect between source and amplifier (if equipment supports it) as any residual noise from mains or any other source will be greatly removed, which is why pro audio has always used differential connections. 

 

My opinion only of course, everyone has their own view of this stuff and nobody is "right" about what you can or cannot hear !

Have you tried a power conditioner or power conditioning board in your system?

Neo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, SBM said:

Thanks Sabercat. I am not having any hum or noises in the speakers. I am just trying to stop spike or surge to my AVR and subwoofer as precaution as added security for longevity.

 

I was thinking to buy Thor power board (cost $150-250$)

 

Based on your suggestions. I think, I should not waste that 150$?

 

Much appreciated your time.

 

Regards

SBM

 

 

@SBM

I would audition one for yourself and draw ones own conclusions in your own system, before dismissing power conditioning based on an expert opinions 

Neo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Neo, will try and see.

 

Much appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Classifieds Statistics


    Currently Active Ads

    Total Sales (Since 2018)

    Total Sales Value (Last 14 Days)

    Total Ads Value (Since March 2020)
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By youngjimmy
      Item Condition: As New Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Carlingford State: New South Wales Payment Method: EFT, Cash on pickup Reason for selling: no longer needed Further information: 2 x 20 watts RMS into 4 ohms. Sounds much bigger than its spec would suggest. This amp is as new, in original carton, with its under desk mounting bracket
       
      Photos:
       
      PLEASE READ
      If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved




    • By vunn
      Item Condition: Used but in excellent condition Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Harrison State: Australian Capital Territory Payment Method: PayPal, Bank transfer, Cash Reason for selling: No longer required Further information:
      Regretly let them go after 10 years serving me well. I paired them with Italian Pathos Classic One which is listing for sale also. They are very sweet French taste, vocal, rhythm, dynamic etc are so surprisingly well controlled. I have original shipping box. Flat rate shipping is $60.00 to any destination in Oz. I also listing on Ebay. Will donate after sales. 
       
      Description: Two-way, reflex-loaded loudspeaker for use with stands 20–30" H (not included). Drive-units: 1" titanium-dome tweeter in molded horn enclosure, 6.3" coated pulp-cone woofer. Crossover frequency: 2.5kHz. Frequency response: 50Hz–20kHz, ±3dB. Impedance: 8 ohms nominal, 4.4 ohms minimum. Sensitivity: 90dB/W/m.
      Dimensions: 16.5" (420mm) H by 7.9" (200mm) W by 13.2" (335mm) D. Shipping weight: 41 lbs (18.7kg).
       
      Review:
      https://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/408tri/index.html
       
      Photos:
       
      PLEASE READ
      If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved











    • By Fabrice Dal-Cin
      Item:Denon or Marantz
      Price Range:$800-900
      Item Condition: New or Used
      Extra Info: Any leads would be appreciated.
       
      Please don't forget to report your post as FOUND when possible. (You can now delete this text).
    • By mfroes
      Hi Guys,
      another newbie question.
      I've been after some speaker wire. i've seen people use cat5/cat6 and all that but i think i'd just stick to standard speaker wires.
      I'll be using the furthest speaker with about 17-18m because of how the speaker wire needs to be routed.
      All speakers are rated at 150W but the Front ones that are rated at 250W.
      the amp will be set under the TV and the only wires to be routed to the right will be the front right and the Surround right
      all other ones will have to be routed through the left  passing from the TV through Subwoofer, front left, surround left, back left and back right (about 17m)
      unfortunately the house is rented and i cannot drill foor/wall/ceiling.
       
      I've read online that i would need 14 Gauge wiring for the speakers but didnt say anything about distance. was just power and ohms.
       
      Would it be ok to use 12Gauge instead of 14 gauge? would that have any implications ?
      or better to just stick with 14 gauge? 
       
      would anyone have any suggestions on wire to buy that wouldnt be that expensive?
       
      what are the thoughts on ugly?
      https://www.selby.com.au/brands/ugly-cable/ugly-12-awg-speaker-cable-420-strands-ug12.html
       
      have anyone used knukonceptz ?
      http://www.knukonceptz.com/home-theater/speaker-wire/kord-speaker-wire/sp/kord-ultra-flex-12-gauge-speaker-wire-100/
       
      I think i'll need in total about 70-75m of wiring so can get expensive fast.
      the idea is to use banana plugs for everything.
      i would probably use the same wire with RCA connector for the sub.
       
      current setup:
      Front: NHT C4
      Centre: Gale 20
      Back & Surround: Axis LS28
      Subwoofer: Sound Dynamics THS-10
       
                               TV
      FL   S                C                     FR
       
       
      SL                                              SR
       
       
      BL                                             BR
       
       
      distance from amp:
      C(enter): 3-4m to be able to route through the tv unit
      S(ub):  4m
      FL: 5m
      FR: 6m
      SL: 10m
      SR: 12m
      BL: 14m
      BR: 18m
    • By vunn
      Item Condition: Excellent as new, No box, Walnut Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Harrison State: Australian Capital Territory Payment Method: Paypal (free friend&family, +3%, Cash on Pickup, Bank transfer Reason for selling: Not used Further information:
      This Klipsch center is highly recommend for home theatre system. I purchased about 2 years ago but used only few times since bought a Thiel SC4 to make it a centre with my Thiel sc2.4 as front. Prefer local pick up or can ship at buyer’s expenses.
       
      RRP: 1,090 in Digital Cinema
       
      https://www.digitalcinema.com.au/klipsch-rp-440c-reference-premiere-centre-channel-speaker.html

      Reviews are here:
       
      http://centerspeakerzone.com/klipsch-rp-440c-review/
       
       
      Photos:
       
      PLEASE READ
      If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved






×
×
  • Create New...