robmid

2020 StereoCoffee LDR passive preamp redesign.

15 minutes ago, MattyW said:

Mmmm, I may have to try at some point. See how it compares to quality Litz interconnects

Unfortunately they are unobtanium, unless you get lucky as I did. Hifi-Shark is your friend!

Ah, I won't bother then. I'm very happy with what I already have anyway 

55 minutes ago, lenticularis said:

Today between DAC and Stereo Coffee, I replaced the Burson Cable+ impedance-matching interconnects

How do you impedance match between analog components? The interconnects virtually always go between low-impedance outputs and high-impedance inputs. Impedance matching would be a very bad idea indeed.

I'm simply quoting the marketing blurb from Burson about the design concept of their Cable+ cables. Both the standard Cable+ model (pictured) and the Cable + Pro have circuitry that claims to do just that.

Burson-CablePlus.jpeg

Is that a series transformer in the middle?    Ah, no - finally found it. 

It's a  V5i chip powered by usb so it's a signal line buffer and could be very useful indeed as an "impedance matching" device - it's listed on the US site as U$139 (if I got that right?) plus the usual exorbitant freight/postage so maybe around the A$250?  It does come with the ICs so that's a big plus too.

I prefer the sound of their V6 chip myself and with a high quality power supply, it could make this a potential winner although this wouldn't be all that cheap -  the V6 chip itself is about A$80 (stereo), a good quality shunt reg will be maybe another 150+, and a pcb, case, plugs/sockets, etc  maybe another 100?  (+ about A$400). Then add the extra ICs …

I did a B1 buffer (the Hypnotize project on Diya) and that came to about A$300, I think, plus the extra IC pair.

Ah thanks, so it’s actually an active device, not just a cable.

Well that V5i IC circuit chip does need power to operate and that slim socket on the side looks to be the only way to get it so,  it is  an active device inserted in the middle of the interconnect cable as a unity gain buffer (gain of 1) - quite a  neat idea actually.

Posted (edited)

The power is via a micro-USB cable, so 5V.  

There are some good reviews of the Cable+ or Cable + Pro on the Web. I chased mine up because of a specific glowing SNA user recommendation*, when used between Gieseler DACs and pre-amp.

*The recommendation was made my Max Headroom on p2 of the Gieseler Gross DAC Review thread, as follows:

“Lots of comments here... but let me share with you all that the GroB and the Fein compare to anything under $10,000, and probably more with one little trick. Guys get a pair of Burson Audio Cable+ Pro cables. They will bring the Gieseler DACS up an amazing level when they're matched with the Gieseler Kraftwerk Power Supply. UNBEATABLE combination - I've compared with quite a few great DACs so feel able to say this.

Edited by lenticularis
Typo

This might sound a bit silly but I wonder if you were to use a really high quality 5v supply, via that usb plug, if it would make any audible difference?  

Just musing out loud here as I have found that all the buffers I have used are very dependent on the quality of power supplies, just like any/many other active circuits, I guess.

Do Burson Audio make their own cables too - any reviews, experiences, etc - there doesn't appear to be anything about cables on their website that I can find ...

Posted (edited)

Yes, I’ve been wondering the same thing re PS

Even an iFi iPower would be worth trying...I can steal one from an iFi iPurifier that is only doing duty between TV and Klipsch soundbar.

Burson cables: their Cable+ Pro model uses Canare cable and the two Cable+ sets I have use a much longer but thinner cable marked ‘Mongli Weive Electronics Co Ltd Sound Video Cable’!

I contacted Burson at the time I bought the Cable+ from eBay USA, since the mauve-sheathed Mongli cable looked so different from the red thick Canare cable. I asked them why they discontinued the line and they reflected that the market hadn’t been very responsive to the concept.

Edited by lenticularis

This whole passive Pre SC business sounds interesting. Unfortunately I don't have a Pre In on my integrated so will keep it in mind for future reference. Those Burson products are similarly intriguing, not to mention very elusive!

Posted (edited)

I've temporarily marked up the front of my SC with sticky labels:

Dots for sources and '0' for the mute position.

The volume knob has a dot in the zero position; that's somewhat redundant because I have the remote volume option.

I may try and find some nice timber for a facia to replace the standard aluminium.

20200703_SC-markup (1).jpeg

Edited by lenticularis

1 minute ago, lenticularis said:

I've temporarily marked up the front of my SC with sticky labels:

Dots for sources and '0' for the mute position.

The volume knob has a dot in the zero position; that's somewhat redundant because I have the remote volume option.

I've an idea to seek out some nice timber for a facia to replace the standard aluminium.

20200703_SC-markup (1).jpeg

it’s lots of fun to take the the fascia front panel to a CNC machinest to tool the symbols. Practice template recommended to see how a CAD drawing renders to actual including appropriate tool bit used. Or laser etch.

Yes thanks, I'll certainly exercise one of those options if I stick with the aluminium.