Edifier R1280DB

Just bought a pair of these after doing some research.
I found they reviewed well and came in the top 10 of one review against speaker 10x their price.
Anyone else have a set?
I was thinking to add them to my 7.1 as surround speakers?

• 2 weeks later...

not many people is into cheaper brands around here.. regardless of their sound prowess.

a shame because there's tons of new brands that are worth looking into.

I'm also interested in edifiers as an affordable and compact solution for my desk.

I highly doubt that you can use active speakers in any multichannel config unless you buy a decoder (which you would be loosing the benefit of a cheap setup)

and to top it all off decoders just decode, they don't apply any phase/volume/tone or any adjustment. only receivers do (which are powered)

however, edifier does make unpowered speakers.. so you can check those out.. with a receiver of course.

5 hours ago, audiodude said:

not many people is into cheaper brands around here.. regardless of their sound prowess.

a shame because there's tons of new brands that are worth looking into.

I'm also interested in edifiers as an affordable and compact solution for my desk.

I highly doubt that you can use active speakers in any multichannel config unless you buy a decoder (which you would be loosing the benefit of a cheap setup)

and to top it all off decoders just decode, they don't apply any phase/volume/tone or any adjustment. only receivers do (which are powered)

however, edifier does make unpowered speakers.. so you can check those out.. with a receiver of course.

I already have a Pioneer SC-LX76 for home theater.
This receiver has the outputs for connecting additional amplifiers. 
So i was thinking the powered Edifier is basically amplifier inside the speaker so why could i not connect these speakers to the "surround channel amplifier"?

As standalone powered speakers connected to my TT I am pretty happy with the sound.

Capture.JPG

19 hours ago, audiodude said:

that should work. but you're doubling up.. unnecessary to have 2 amps, both on the speakers and receiver.

if you want to keep the receiver, buy the edifiers with no amp. they're cheaper.

this was more a question of can I do it.
These Edifiers will end up in my computer room. I may look at the passive speakers to connect up later.