Buying Records in Singapore.

First off, if this is in the wrong section, I apologise.

We are off to Singapore on Saturday (8th Feb) for 2 weeks and I thought that there might just be a chance that there is some room in my suitcase to bring some vinyl back.

I am after some suggestions as to where to find record shops.

Cheers

Steve

Thanks, we're staying in the CBD, so that will be walking distance.

Edit: Just checked on the map and it is 1km away from our hotel.

Edited by Batty

Also the millenium walk  has a number of hifi stores. 

I was in singapore in 2015 and records either new or second hand were not cheap. Not sure thats changed ?

Edited by cafe67

38 minutes ago, crtexcnndrm99 said:

Heading to the airport later today (Japan). Any tips for transporting the records home? 

Depending how many you are buying? Pick up a empty box from the record shop which holds around 50 records.90 records will be around 30 Kg . Over that your looking at postage where a box of 50 records is about $250 EMS.

2 hours ago, Batty said:

First off, if this is in the wrong section, I apologise.

We are off to Singapore on Saturday (8th Feb) for 2 weeks and I thought that there might just be a chance that there is some room in my suitcase to bring some vinyl back.

I am after some suggestions as to where to find record shops.

Cheers

Steve

Dont expect to find records in Singapore which you wont find at home  at a better price.

Buy enough face masks before taking flight so you and your companions will not pickup any virus throughout the whole 2 weeks. Be prepared to use up to 3 per day.  And hand gloves too, or sanitizer. These items are out of stock in Singapore now. So buy before boarding the plane. 

There's more than 10,000 wuhan china visitors wandering around the city unsupervised...

Don't ever feel that you are impolite by not removing your face mask when talking to anyone here.

Edited by jeromelang

My plans aren’t quite that impressive. This isn’t the primary purpose of the trip and hopefully I can restrain myself enough to keep it <15-20. 

The box is a good idea, as is the frame of reference for how much so many will weigh. An extra bag of checked luggage on the way home may be best.

And apologies @Batty for hijacking the thread ?

3 hours ago, glenm64 said:

For The Record

3 Coleman St #4-28

Peninsula Shopping Centre

Lots of hard to get stuff, but as said earlier not cheap.

Theres another in same building but more new stock.

The owner of that store is a top bloke. Opened the store just for me on a public holiday.

Prices aren't "cheap" in Singapore anymore, not for anything. These guys have high rents to pay.

Selection is certainly better than our local stores (Perth) though. 

As mentioned, Adelphi also has some good shops for both hardware and media.

14 hours ago, jeromelang said:

Friendly warning: postpone this trip if possible.

Screenshot-20200205-184604-Facebook.jpg

We are fast becoming a place where visitors can unwittingly pick up "free gifts" that are made in china

???

Any record shops on Christmas Island?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

When I travelled I would pick up some records, but a max of about six at a time.  I carried them as hand luggage so they would be in a controlled temperature environment to avoid warping.  I would take a suitable bag to pack them in, and take packing material to protect them (as I would only expect small numbers I would take several layers of sturdy corregated card cut to size).  I would always anticipate them being put into the overhead lockers, and other passengers throwing their bags on top of my records or moving them around, so the packing would protect the records when they were beyond my control.  Never had any problems with the records when I inspected them on return home.  And whey I play them I have nice memories of the trip when I acquired them ?

Edited by audiofeline
  • Like 1

Two more cases of the coronavirus infection were confirmed by the Singapore Ministry of Health (MOH) on Thursday (Feb 6).

This brings the total number of confirmed cases in Singapore to 30, of which 11 are Singaporeans.

One of the new cases is a close contact of a previously confirmed case. The second case announced on Thursday has no recent travel history to mainland China and does not appear to be linked with previous cases.

The second case was confirmed late on Wednesday night and contact tracing is still in progress, with a focus on identifying any links it may have with past cases or travellers from China.

So far, all previously announced confirmed cases have been either Chinese nationals from Hubei, or individuals with links to travellers who are Chinese nationals.

All of these cases have been isolated and ring-fenced, said MOH.

"But we must be prepared for the possibility of new infection clusters involving locals within the community, not linked with recent travel to China or contact with recent PRC travellers," said the ministry.

After Japan's 45 cases, Singapore has the second highest number of coronavirus infections outside of China.

On Wednesday, four cases of the coronavirus infection were confirmed by MOH, including the youngest patient confirmed so far, a six-month-old baby who is the child of an infected couple. The couple's maid was also infected.

Three of Wednesday's cases are linked to a cluster of local transmissions - the first here - announced on Tuesday. The last case is an imported one involving a Chinese tourist from China's Wuhan city.

The cluster is linked to a group of 20 tourists from Guangxi, China, that visited health products shop Yong Thai Hang in Cavan Road in Lavender. With the cases announced on Wednesday, the number of cases linked to the tour group is now seven.

MOH said the Chinese health authorities have confirmed that two travellers from the tour group have the coronavirus infection.

if anyone has to come to Singapore, come with all the protection that you will need to get before you get on the flight to come here. Face masks are sold out everywhere!

And the last thing you need to do is go out into the busy city to hunt for records, where more than 10,000 visitors from the wuhan area (10,680 to be exact) have been wandering around Singapore, unsupervised....

Edited by jeromelang