Power amplifier recommendations- 150w-200w at 8 ohm

Hello everyone, 

Good day . I am new to stereonet. Looking for some recommendations for my stereo(40%)/HT setup(60%).

Current setup:

Klipsch RP 260F (L-R)

Connected to TV.

Looking to upgrade my AVR and add power amplifier. Looking for some recommendations.

As klipsch are bright sounding speakers need to pair with Warm sounding amplifiers like Denon/Marantz

I am looking to invest in something which will future proof for next 5 years at least.

Thank you.

Edited by SBM
Updated

hmm so you are running a basic 5.1 system and it will be expanded? thats why you are looking at an 11 channel avr?

from audioholics

"Marantz SR8012 Advantages over the Denon AVR-X6500H:

• HDAM SA2 current feedback topology between preamp and power amp
  • 22,000uF, 81V capacitors x 2 vs 15,000uF, 73V capacitors (X-6500H)
  • Torodial 835VA transformer vs 750VA E-Core (X-6500H)
  • Separated symmetric construction vs single in-line (X6500H)
  • Copper plated chassis
  • More rigid top cover
  • Teflon tape on oscillator circuit for better damping

In my opinion, these are all noteworthy improvements and a justifiable upgrade path if you're a serious audiophile and plan on using the internal amps of this receiver to drive your entire speaker system."

note the last sentence. now there is nothing wrong with having a separate power amp IF you are running 5.2.4 or 7.2.4.. but you are not.

you have not indicated the room you will have this in, dedicated with projector, size, open/closed etc

denon match well with klipsch and i would guess marantz as well. but thats a lot of $$ in an avr when the yammy rxv3085 is a 11 channel processor for $1550 in stereonet classifides

Edited by hopefullguy
  • Like 1

Aggred, thanks for the input. I am renting and it's a make over theatre room no projector/ Dolby Atmos. Just a 5.1 or may be 7.1 setup for movies/music , (as I have two extra Polk tower not connected as my current AVR is 5.2 supported )over TV for next 2-3 years. It's a 4m*4m room.

Hi SBM, 

Have you thought of maybe running seperate processor & power amp. That way you could upgrade bit by bit as your system grows. 

Emotiva can be had pretty cheap in terms of processing & you have your pick of the bunch when it comes to power amps. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 04/02/2020 at 6:26 PM, hopefullguy said:

hmm so you are running a basic 5.1 system and it will be expanded? thats why you are looking at an 11 channel avr?

from audioholics

"Marantz SR8012 Advantages over the Denon AVR-X6500H:

• HDAM SA2 current feedback topology between preamp and power amp
  • 22,000uF, 81V capacitors x 2 vs 15,000uF, 73V capacitors (X-6500H)
  • Torodial 835VA transformer vs 750VA E-Core (X-6500H)
  • Separated symmetric construction vs single in-line (X6500H)
  • Copper plated chassis
  • More rigid top cover
  • Teflon tape on oscillator circuit for better damping

In my opinion, these are all noteworthy improvements and a justifiable upgrade path if you're a serious audiophile and plan on using the internal amps of this receiver to drive your entire speaker system."

note the last sentence. now there is nothing wrong with having a separate power amp IF you are running 5.2.4 or 7.2.4.. but you are not.

you have not indicated the room you will have this in, dedicated with projector, size, open/closed etc

denon match well with klipsch and i would guess marantz as well. but thats a lot of $$ in an avr when the yammy rxv3085 is a 11 channel processor for $1550 in stereonet classifides

I was always thinking to buy parasound A52+ for power amplifier. But I hear much about Elektra. Thinking to try Elektra HD2 3 channel , as the channel increase from through through 7 channel , I cannot see change in the specifications like torridal transformer size , capacitance capacity. Just it seems adding channel with out any spec update.  Also Siad sonically better than Emotiva. So I am thinking to go for 3 channel as I want for LCR channel. Do you have any idea on Elektra amp ? Thank you

Edited by SBM
Up

Considering you can’t hear ANY Elektra amp in Perth unless a fellow forum member has one and opens an invitation to come and listen, I’d be wary of buying one blind. I know this because I know of people who have not liked them, and of one member who required servicing and the lack of dealers made this more difficult than it ordinarily needed to be. 

This is an observation rather than a criticism. With other brands you mention, at least if the exact model you seek isn’t available to audition, something will be which will give you a sense of the brand’s tonality or character.

I think speaker placement and room acoustic treatments will yield much better results than trying to achieve that through electronics selection.  

Sure amplifiers make a difference tonally but I would say the speaker, placement, and room characteristics make the biggest difference.

I have heard very bright systems completely transform purely because the correct sound treatment was used in the room. Sound paneling doesn’t need to look ugly or be expensive either.

20 hours ago, PSI Audio said:

I think speaker placement and room acoustic treatments will yield much better results than trying to achieve that through electronics selection.  

Sure amplifiers make a difference tonally but I would say the speaker, placement, and room characteristics make the biggest difference.

I have heard very bright systems completely transform purely because the correct sound treatment was used in the room. Sound paneling doesn’t need to look ugly or be expensive either.

Thanks

• Like 1