Sign in to follow this  
DdDesign

Recommendation for Budget open back headphones ?

I’m looking to try openback headphones for the first time and want a shortlist to go and audition. My budget is up to $250 and I’m looking to wear them while I work (draft/design) at my computer. I have tried closes back headphones but don’t like the isolation from the environment. I thought open back will give we an immersive musical experience without feeling isolated.

Comfort is important and I would like a pretty lively and spacious sound. 

I would love any recommendations from those with experience to include on my list and thoughts about the following:

Grando SR80e ( not sure they will be comfy?)

Audio Technica AD700.

Akg 240

Seinheiser 58x ( on sale at addicted to audio)

Thanks 

I am a CAD designer too, and I have switched to apple airpods, mainly for the convenience of being able to pause music if someone wants to talk to me (by taking one out) and the other 'tap' controls.

The comfiest headphones I ever had for all day use were Sennheiser PX100s. I am not sure if they are still available or not. The Grados arent even comfortable for 10 minutes, s I don't think they would be suitable. The others will be fairly heavy for extended use.

If the Senny 58x fit anything like the 599, you would be hard pressed finding anything more comfortable.

AKG K7XX have a wide soundstage so maybe they will sound spacious to you?

HD58X is a great option.

Also, on a budget the Koss Portapro with Yaxi Pads is really comfortable and punches above its price range, they don't really require an amp which helps if you're on a budget, although they do scale with an amp.

I absolutely love the HD6XX if you can stretch your budget to about $330

MS1s are great out of an old iphone

http://alessandro-products.com/headphones-2/

I've worn them for a couple of hours at a time whilst cooking.

Good for moving around.

As recommended above - AKG-70* series are great out of an adjustable soundcard or headphone amp.

Not the best in a hot enviroment as it can get a bit sweaty under the pads after a while.

https://djcity.com.au/product/akg-k702-open-back-studio-headphones/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzOb1r8m35wIVjjgrCh3gaAccEAQYASABEgJ97fD_BwE

What will you run them off?

HD6xx is the king of $250...

15 hours ago, Bengineer said:

What will you run them off?

HD6xx is the king of $250...

Audoquest dragonfly black or Ifi micro dac/amp

Any thoughts on the HifimanHE4xx. There is a possibility of getting a second hand pair

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and suggestions. I ended up buying the hifiman he4xx. 

On 04/02/2020 at 1:55 PM, figjam said:

I am a CAD designer too, and I have switched to apple airpods, mainly for the convenience of being able to pause music if someone wants to talk to me (by taking one out) and the other 'tap' controls.

Agreed. Also if anyone calls there's no need to remove them to grab the phone. In a work environment they are for background music only so the need for headphone amps dac's is probably overkill. I now have the Air Pods Pro and love the transparency mode where I don't even have to take them out to talk to people, and also great for out exercising where you need to be aware of traffic.

EDIT: I have Sennheiser 599 at home but really just use them for late night (middle of the night) TV viewing without waking up family and very occasional music listening.

Edited by blybo

I would suggest 58x as they are easier to drive than the 6xx.

Agree with either 58x or 6xx. I suggest you only get the 6xx if you have a decent amp to drive them work 300 ohm impedence.

If you want value, the Koss KSC 75 or Koss Porta Pro are unbeatable. Really enjoyable sound.

I received my my Hifiman He4xx that I bought from the classifieds (thanks Honey Badger). Really happy with them. I love the wide open silky smooth sound. Lots of instrument separation and details are great. They do need a bit of power. My Cayin N3 Dap just does the job but I have to turn the volume up pretty high.

Philips Fidelio X2HR?? Heavily discounted at the moment. Just got a pair myself. Outstanding build quality, easy to drive, great sound stage and fun!!

Edited by oldf%$ker