Dimension Four / Advance Audio Australia Turntable

• 1 year later...

Hey only 1 1/2 years ago! Suggest you list it in the Private Classifieds forum. Need to state a price and some pics will definitely help - especially with a rarity such as this. How much are you asking for it?

mfwalker

i did a bit of research on this tt when this thread first appeared.

looked ok

found1 on gumtree 18months ago but it was gone

but as no one knew it it was hard to price

eg last month an amber [highly modded p2 or 3] went for $200 when it would have got twice the price as a p2!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Thanks for the interest in the Dimension Four TT.

I will be selling the TT and will post a full description and pics in the For Sale section at some point.

I was being a little pre-emptive.:cool: The TT is still in use in my system. I've recently bought a Technics SL1200 that needs some work. When I've got that up and running I'll sell the Dim 4. I'll update this post too when I've more details.

Regards,

Matt

• 9 months later...

I have a Dimension 4 turntable and so does my father. His recently developed a problem with the power supply and replaced the turntable with a new Rega - not a patch on the D4. Hope we can find someone who can help with the repair to the power supply. Does anyone know if Peter Rielly is about? He was the designer/builder of these turntables. Regards, Laurie.

• 7 years later...

I have a turntable branded Advance Audio Australia that I bought in a hi-fi store in Dandenong (of all places) that was reputed to be as good as or superior to the best reference turntables of the day. It came with a lifetime warranty but the store that sold it (and I believe made/assembled it) closed down then opened up again in East Bentleigh, I think, and then disappeared. Anyway, the turntable is still going well. I wonder if any members know about it and think it lives up to those claims.  It cost hundreds of dollars in the '80s.

TuYw79Y.jpg

Edited by hiram.j
Added photo

It is known as the Dimension 4 and by all accounts, it is a fine high end TT. This what I have gleaned about it from the internet.....starting with quotes from a 2016 Pinkfishmedia thread.

"This was produced in the 1980s by Peter Riley of Melbourne, who has sadly passed away recently.
There were only about 100 of these produced."

********************************

"I know this a very late response, but my dad John used to hand-make these turntables with Peter, they both ran a shop Sound Images in Dandenong in the late 80's."

"The D4 turntables were designed to be top-end turntables. Peter and John designed the turntables locally, and sourced locally made parts (e.g. the arms were from Interdyn (Alex Encel)). Peter was an 'audio nerd' and everything had to be perfect, and it was! As you say, the motor mount is based on the Rega O-ring. The electrics were also made locally, and they were definitely beyond the typical resistor/capacitor network. We can not remember the details of the power supply or electric system (it was over 30 years ago!).
The extra platter mass was done for noise and vibration reduction, and the springs were not adjustable."

Here is the link to the thread from which the bits above were lifted: https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/advance-audio-australia-dimension-4-turntable.196396/

NB: The last post on this page is too big too paste here but it is a beauty with lots more info and history.?

Here is a link to some pics (for others who might be interested in how it looks but I've put the main one up):

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=!AKLdrCnyigJBBzU&id=C6DC1CF4AD1F8547!28268&cid=C6DC1CF4AD1F8547

104694030_AdvanceAudioAustralia-Dimension4_1.jpg.c130e43686c7cda33aa482fa1946188e.jpg

Finally, a link to a small D4 discussion thread right here on Stereonet:

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 5

Thanks for the detailed response, stevoz.

One thing I remember Peter Riley telling me about the turntable is that when it is in use, the lid should be in the open position, for improved audio. I don't know if this was designed into the turntable or it was a discovery after the event.  I also don't know how this works but I always did what he said.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, hiram.j said:

Thanks for the detailed response, stevoz.

One thing I remember Peter Riley telling me about the turntable is that when it is in use, the lid should be in the open position, for improved audio. I don't know if this was designed into the turntable or it was a discovery after the event.  I also don't know how this works but I always did what he said.

Some say remove the lid completely while playing.....which I now do with my TT (the lid just slides off the hinges). It's all about lowering resonance, so it makes sense to remove a large potential source of resonance like a plastic lid.?

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 2

I should do the same then, remove the lid completely and rest it back in place when not in use.

Reading over the details again, this sentence: "Peter was an 'audio nerd' and everything had to be perfect, and it was!" reminds me of something else about the turntable. Peter told me they had some metal parts machined locally (perhaps they were the pulleys, or something to do with the bearings) and he kept rejecting the parts because they weren't to the micron tolerances he had specified.

• Like 1

Australia had an excellent hi-end turntable industry in the 1960's - Orpheus Silex, Commonewealth, Byer/Rola (and possibly the Austral Argo, but little information survives on those). 

It's nice to know that we continued to have a high-end turntable designed and manufactured in the 80's.  It's frustrating that our audio companies struggle to survive, as our market for high-end turntables is small and it's difficult to crack international markets.  This lack of success can't be attributed to a lack of quality - there have been some magnificent audio come out of our country. 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...