Please put me out of my misery...NX9 or Z1

Hello Folks, 

Really need some insight from the collective brains trust...please

I have not seen the NX9 or Z1 so I m looking for some feedback from those that have or are lucky enough to own one, 

The time has come where my HT is nearing completion and I need to make a decision on my PJ, 

The HT is a bat cave, with total light control, screen will be a 2.40 AT that Rich will build for me, dims are approx 3600mm x 150mm

I am somewhat hesitant to drop down so much cash on a lamp based unit..however I am thinking the Z1 will be a better choice considering the screen size and the additional lumens, it provides, 

I won’t be using a lens, but instead a Lumagen Radiance Pro so this can take of the tone mapping for HDR, 

Yes the Z1 is considerably more, but I am prepared to stump up for the difference...I just don’t want any regrets as this is a minimum 5 year decision, 

This is killing me...please put me out of my misery ?

Cheers...

hmmm 5 years ? it can be an eternity in projector land ... especially if buying in on models eg the nx9 thats 1+ year old vs z1 that was announced in 2016 :)

are you the type that wants the latest and greatest ? or instead are you easily content with something great that can be happy with regardless what else might come out subsequently that might be better ? 

its just that cant really hold back progress...be no doubt something or other comes along in next few years be better... I ask because your already asking whether will have regrets :D 

if can be happy with what is best to you right now suspect be hard pressed to beat the Z1 ! especially if tone mapping not really a consideration given the lumagen plan to use for that.... definitely check in with woofer who has experience with both

Wow. I wish I had your problem.

Which ever of the two you choose you will be blown away by what your eyes are going to experience.

From what you have written the answer to your dilemma is obvious.

The Z1.

For those not familiar with the Z1 take a look at this

Pure ecstasy 

Enjoy?

Edited by CCRider

8 hours ago, Quark said:

@wooferocau posted some opinions here (scroll to the top of the page) - this would have been before the N9 got the tone mapping update, so not sure if his opinion would change. Perhaps he might chime in with some thoughts.

I have compared the NX9 with the latest JVC DTM to my Z1....The Z1 in my opinion is still the far superior projector , especially combined with madVR,s HSTM . ?

The Z1 might not be the "Latest"  BUT , from what i have personaly seen it still the "Greatest"  in the under $100K price range..

@Andy0217  I see you are planning on using the Lumagen , i recentley had the opportunity to set a Lumagen up in my theatre to comapere to madVR...the Lumagen is a terrific unit and combined with the Z1 you wont get a better comination ( both madVR and the Lumagen produce amazing results with HDR ) .

Send me a PM with your contact number and i can call if your interested..?

Edited by wooferocau
  • Like 3

Thank you all...you are all very fine Gentleman ?

Woofer appreciate your insight on the Z1 and NX9...and also

on the Radiance Pro...I already have the 4242 so it’s only the PJ and SSP I need to still get, 

Pretty sure you have convinced me the Z1 is the way to go....

Thanks again cheers 

2 hours ago, Andy0217 said:

Pretty sure you have convinced me the Z1 is the way to go....

If the funds permit you to do so, then its 'definately" the way to go! ☺️

The Z1 really is a  very refined and reliable package and  throws an awesome image..

• 4 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Andy0217 said:

Thank you all again, especially Woofer, 

I have ordered the Z1...now the long wait,

And for the Minister of Finance to dip into the kids inheritance ?

Congrats!

Now you need to go to the gym in preparation for mounting it! :)

• Haha 1

I won’t be lifting anything...have 2 burly sons to do that...

And after ripping out a Sony CRT from the ceiling I reckon the Z1 will be a cinch ?

Will post some pics when the time comes...the threaded 1.5” pipe is already engineered into the ceiling joists...it will hold 500kgs easy thanks to my OCD,

Just have to order the Peerless Heavy Duty Mount Mount from BH which is good for 125lbs, 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Andy0217 said:

I won’t be lifting anything...have 2 burly sons to do that...

And after ripping out a Sony CRT from the ceiling I reckon the Z1 will be a cinch ?

Will post some pics when the time comes...the threaded 1.5” pipe is already engineered into the ceiling joists...it will hold 500kgs easy thanks to my OCD,

Just have to order the Peerless Heavy Duty Mount Mount from BH which is good for 125lbs, 

great move ! if can handle those old CRT beasts Z1 should be not a bother :) 

good thing have some burly sons !  I had to take a double take even putting the nx7 up on the mount :D 

• 2 months later...

Good Golly the Z1 is massive, but was a cinch to hang with the HD Peerless Mount, its a pretty much hang and hook method, and then 4 additional bolts 2 each side to level the pitch, and another 4 bolts, 2 each front and rear to adjust roll, and as it’s fixed to a 1 and 1/4 “ threaded pipe, rotation is easy, 

Its pretty much leveled out, but will make adjustments when the screen is hung,

The finishing line is not to far off now...yah it’s been a long grind...

A big thanks to everyone, especially Woofer for the advice, and Rich for the service and support, 

Cheers

AEBB3414-FA17-4AB0-B34E-87742653FD79.jpeg

E020FB7E-593E-48DE-BC7F-04EF42D4A70C.jpeg

4EDA3646-68C6-46DC-A31F-E1093654FCEE.jpeg

EF5A85CD-BFA5-4A9A-AB27-81699508CB97.jpeg

• Like 10

13 hours ago, Andy0217 said:

Good Golly the Z1 is massive, but was a cinch to hang with the HD Peerless Mount, its a pretty much hang and hook method, and then 4 additional bolts 2 each side to level the pitch, and another 4 bolts, 2 each front and rear to adjust roll, and as it’s fixed to a 1 and 1/4 “ threaded pipe, rotation is easy, 

wow indeed !!! 

i didn't realise peerless made a mount for it ? what is the HD mount ? can post a pic of it ? good to hear has adjustments for what need :)

looking great in situ in what looks like a great room :) 

42 minutes ago, betty boop said:

wow indeed !!! 

i didn't realise peerless made a mount for it ? what is the HD mount ? can post a pic of it ? good to hear has adjustments for what need :)

looking great in situ in what looks like a great room :) 

Hi Al, yep they make 3 heavy duty mounts. I think the Z1 owners are using this one

https://www.peerless-av.com/collections/projector-mounts/products/pjr125?variant=29193745760371

Left one has 113kg capacity, right one 56kg so perfect for the Z1.

image.png.4d8b5e28580521eebec3e95bfe330004.png

• Like 1

Thankyou all  for the kind words ?

Rich you’re spot on, the PJR125 is the mount I am using, the pic only shows 4 spider arms, however the kit comes with 6 arms in total, and I have used all 6, 

What gets me though is the bolt size that screws into the chassis of the Z1 is a M5 x 25mm,  and being so small I had to make washers to accommodate the narrow gauge as the arm has a bigger hole than the bolt head ?

I will get a pic loaded tonight with the mount fixed the Z1 before it went up...

• Like 1

There are 8 fixing points on the chassis, but the manual shows the middle 4 are typical for a ceiling install,

Instead of just using the middle 4 mounting points, decided to offset the mount so I could get all 6 arms screwed in, and this increases the gap between the rear of the Z1 and the bulkhead, 

AFA3758A-74BC-4788-A50F-A8CC2FAC82A8.jpeg

thanks Rich and Andy, great to hear they make some more heavier duty ones there in the 50-110kg range. as yeah you'd want something beefy indeed for something like the Z1

Andy that is amazing they have still gone for 5mm i agree on the Z1 am in a bit of shock. 4 x 5mm threaded screws  for ~50kg wow ! :D I can understand why went for the 6 great idea and would be more comfortable myself ! In my engineering schooling anything with loads with rules of thumb .... we would consider 8mm as minimum or multiple 6mm at the least.... :D 5 is getting skinny !