StereoNET

Panasonic Australia Exits TV Market

39 minutes ago, Mr_Gimlet said:

Thinking about bringing forward my GT60 plasma replacement. Need a convincing story for Mrs_G though.

My Pana ST60 plasma is still going strong and I was thinking maybe an OLED changeover in the next year or so?  However, it may now be a technology jump to MicroLED (non Pana unfortunately) assuming of course the plasma remains ok.

I'm planning on hand-me-downs: OLED for hifi room, GT60 to family room, 2007 Kuro to ???.

Micro-LED is too far away: it took OLED a good five years to become mainstream and even now, over 65 is pretty much unaffordable.. 

micro LED is indeed too far away... it will go through same lifecycle as OLED as LCD did before and plasma before that :D 

6 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

My Pana ST60 plasma is still going strong and I was thinking maybe an OLED changeover in the next year or so?  However, it may now be a technology jump to MicroLED (non Pana unfortunately) assuming of course the plasma remains ok.

with me as long as euro plasma keeps going am happy to keep skipping on tech... lets see what comes and mean time what i have can just keep on going on as long as it likes :D 

3 minutes ago, Mr_Gimlet said:

Micro-LED is too far away: it took OLED a good five years to become mainstream and even now, over 65 is pretty much unaffordable.. 

1 minute ago, betty boop said:

micro LED is indeed too far away... it will go through same lifecycle as OLED as LCD did before and plasma before that :D 

I reluctantly agree but with LCD receeding quicker than I thought and OLED still expensive,  what will fill the gap?

8 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

OLED still expensive

I don't really consider OLED expensive anymore. What will fill the gap is quasi-OLED technologies like QLED. They will only exist whilst the price differential is there, especially on larger panels.

As OLED gets cheaper/bigger, then QLED will die.

They stopped selling tvs in the Us quite a while ago, I guess our number was coming around, just matter of time ...

3 hours ago, MarkT said:

The Reuters article is from 2016 when Panasonic announced they were stopping making panels in Japan.

Exactly right, it's 3+ year old article about them stop making their own TV panels... Nothing about stopping TV production 

.. 3+ years ago 

Panasonic are stopping TV sales in Australia, anything about them stopping manufacturing TVs is pure heresay

21 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

what will fill the gap?

From all reports this is the way of the future...

Unknown.jpeg

1 hour ago, STROP said:

From all reports this is the way of the future...

No-one would have forecast the renaissance of the turntable. Perhaps there will be a similar movement in TVs.

9 hours ago, Marc said:

Len Wallis has weighed in on this, and makes some great points: https://www.stereo.net.au/opinion/opinion-panasonic-tv-australian-market-exit

Trouble is Panasonic is a mass market brand. They are not Mercedes or Rolex.  B&O are the equivalent in todays market.

They would need a total rebrand similar to what Pioneer did in the 70/80's with Exclusive or Teac do today with Esoteric.

Even then, could a large corporate company make money on comparatively very small production runs.

Would there be enough demand for high cost TV's from the buying public?   Even rich ones?

22 hours ago, Marc said:

Len Wallis has weighed in on this, and makes some great points: https://www.stereo.net.au/opinion/opinion-panasonic-tv-australian-market-exit

There are some fundamental differences between Panasonic TVs and the other items he references. Panasonic TVs are mass produced with similar parts to cheap alternatives but with more design work. In other words they are cheap to make. Most TVs have a huge margin already, in fact the whole TV market is over priced. The cost of design, manufacture, and distribution is small in comparison to RRP. A lot of good Chinese products show that electronics are over priced. Where do the rest of the costs go? Marketing? Store space? Sales staff? It is not ideal to have TVs go into land fills so it would be great to have higher quality components with better design to justify even the current pricing, and have people hold on to products for longer.

Len would be spot on if Panasonic used selected high quality, low production run components. If they also went as far as reducing multilayer PCB and making their TVs serviceable at component level then there would be a big draw card. Of course this would cost them more, and they are already struggling in the market. 

Here is a good example of a difference between a high end brand and their design methodology and a middle of the market brand and theirs. It speaks volumes in why the higher end brand provides extra value, and why their costs are so much higher. Thr higher end brand is designing middle of the range product (for their lineup) but the middle of the market brand is designing a top of the range product (for their lineup). Ironically the two products are meant to be very closely aligned if not the same. In the end, they won't be and thus higher value brand will have more value despite its price.

https://www.motoring.com.au/toyota-supra-v-bmw-z4-whats-different-111512/

It would be much better to have additional players in the market. Unfortunately I see no brands or products in the TV market that Len would like to see; luxury, well designed, highly polished. I think it would be a bad idea to take a mass production, fairly generic item and remarket it as a high end product with no improvement.

Edited by gwurb
Added an extra paragraph

On 03/02/2020 at 10:54 PM, CCRider said:

Sony fanboy

Good, at least you’ll have a good tv, regardless of “labels“

I finally crumbled and bought a 65" from JB for 2500.

On 10/02/2020 at 3:55 PM, Mr_Gimlet said:

I don't really consider OLED expensive anymore. What will fill the gap is quasi-OLED technologies like QLED. They will only exist whilst the price differential is there, especially on larger panels.

As OLED gets cheaper/bigger, then QLED will die.

I seriously believe micro LED is what the future will be. Even replacing the projector one day.

2 hours ago, Sime said:

Good, at least you’ll have a good tv, regardless of “labels“

Nothing wrong with Sony. 😊

2 minutes ago, CCRider said:

Nothing wrong with Sony

I'd definitely look at Sony. It's just their pricing seems to be a bit less flexible than their competitors, end up being too expensive and so the people who buy them buy the brand or are talked into it at their local store.

1 hour ago, Mr_Gimlet said:

I'd definitely look at Sony. It's just their pricing seems to be a bit less flexible than their competitors, end up being too expensive and so the people who buy them buy the brand or are talked into it at their local store.

Or like me, wait for the right sale which was the yearly change when the new model released.

1 hour ago, Mr_Gimlet said:

It's not that their pricing is inflexible that puts me off Sony.....but now that Panasonic is gone, looks like my next TV will be a Sony...again.

What put me off Sony was their servicing of their goods, it's horrendous in Sydney, and that was still after knowing a staff member working at one of the two Sony service centers .

Mind you the persons running the said Sony service center [was at Mascot in Sydney] soon found they quickly lost that contract after Sony Aus contacted me.

But still to this day, Sony only has two service centers for the whole of N.S.W, not a good situation.

6 hours ago, CCRider said:

I seriously believe micro LED is what the future will be. Even replacing the projector one day.

Have you seen a micro LED tv?

Edited by metal beat

Came into work today and did a few price updates, the 55” Pana OLED at $2295 and the 65” was $2495!! I was gobsmacked. One of our guys sold one in the early afternoon but by then the price had been adjusted to $3495... clearly someone had screwed up in HQ. HA HA. Lucky for the buyer, he got it at the cheap price. Amazing deal. Keeping my eyes open for a Pana bargain now. 

2 minutes ago, unclemack said:

clearly someone had screwed up in HQ

I think Panasonic wanted to offload some stock.

10 minutes ago, unclemack said:

Came into work today and did a few price updates, the 55” Pana OLED at $2295 and the 65” was $2495!! I was gobsmacked. One of our guys sold one in the early afternoon but by then the price had been adjusted to $3495... clearly someone had screwed up in HQ. HA HA. Lucky for the buyer, he got it at the cheap price. Amazing deal. Keeping my eyes open for a Pana bargain now. 

Saw  a 65 inch GZ1000 at jbhifi in Perth this afternoon with a $2495 sticker on it.

Asked the sales guy if it was just for the floor display one and he said no that's the price for new in box.

Was a bit disappointed as I had bought a new one on Friday from West coast hifi for over $3k.

Went back to west coast just to check what their new pricing was and they still have them with $3995 sticker on and sales guy said he was unaware of any big drop in pricing and said they are selling stock quite quickly as people hear it's the last chance to grab one.

I guess some lucky jbhifi buyers got a damn good deal today thanks to their mistake.

Even at 4 grand though it's great value , amazing tv.

On 12/02/2020 at 5:43 PM, metal beat said:

Have you seen a micro LED tv?

Only on Vincent Teoh's  HDTV youtube channel. He was impressed.