Panasonic Australia Exits TV Market

Panasonic Australia has today announced it has decided to withdraw from the Australian television market, citing "current local market conditions", and to all the company to focus on "established and emerging areas of the business".

View the full article

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

gosh how disappointing ! they make arguably the best tv on the market ... this is equivalent to pioneers exit with their kuro  in plasma days...

That’s a bit of a shame, their 2020 OLED range looked promising. Reduces the competition as well. LG and Sony Australia would be happy with this for market share.

Saw  a 65 inch GZ1000 at jbhifi in Perth this afternoon with a $2495 sticker on it. Asked the sales guy if it was just for the floor display one and he said no that's the price for new in box.

That’s a bit of a shame, their 2020 OLED range looked promising. Reduces the competition as well. LG and Sony Australia would be happy with this for market share.

• Like 3
  • Moderators

gosh how disappointing ! they make arguably the best tv on the market ... this is equivalent to pioneers exit with their kuro  in plasma days...

• Like 8

The end is nigh for Panasonic and manufacturing of tv's. 

Just like Pioneer, Hitachi, Sharp, Fujitsu, NEC before them.  My two real Hitachi tv's are still going strong.

Only Sony left from Japan.

Edited by metal beat

• Moderators

Well damn it, :( Panasonic have been my go to for TV's for many, many years, glad I picked up the current GZ1000 OLED.

• Like 2

A strategic decision, I guess. The writing is on the wall - not enough profit, and there would be even less to be had with competing technologies and cheaper manufacturing rivals in the years ahead.

Good thing might be a big discount on the existing products.

Edited by PositivelyMusicallyGeared
1 hour ago, betty boop said:

My thoughts exactly.  I remember when I bought my Kuro back in 2006 or so (I just replaced it with a Sony 65" X9500G), the Panasonic plasma was a close second in picture quality.  The Kuros probably priced themselves out of the market.  The Panasonics, especially the OLEDs, seem to have basically done the same thing.  Too bad.

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

It’s never logged a profit since 2010 when it began.  wow.

10 years is a long time indeed ! OLED has probably peaked too suspect.... bit like plasma did with the kuro...and with microLED now knocking on the door.... probably figured time had come ...

Just now, betty boop said:

10 years is a long time indeed ! OLED has probably peaked too suspect.... bit like plasma did with the kuro...and with microLED now knocking on the door.... probably figured time had come ...

The issue is that they never get there first, LG and Samsung are always at the forefront ahead of the game, they change range in 6-9mths and even Sony and Sharp can’t even get a foot in the door.   

So sad to read this.

I recently purchased a gz1000 65 oled.

PQ is spectacular.

Panasonic has always been my favorite brand.

Looks like I may have to turn in to a Sony fanboy.🙄

Most consumers will buy a Hisense , TCL or MelikeYumCha  brand because they get these massive screens for $600 and crap pq to boot which they don't care about anyway.

Edited by CCRider
  • Like 2

I don't think Panasonic have been market leaders since plasma anyway, I'd take a Sony any day...well, I did a couple of years ago, and am still very happy with it.

Nonetheless, not good news, they're a quality product, plus I don't want more market share to go to LG or Samung, just junk.

11 hours ago, betty boop said:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-panasonic-televisions-idUSKCN0YM0UQ

not just australia either its global.... not profitable... gone...

Is that from 2016?

Although, after reading the bad news yesterday, I feel they’re getting out of it completely eventually. Sad stuff.

Edit...

The HZ flagship model was announced at CES...

https://www.avforums.com/news/video-panasonic-hz2000-oled-full-details-and-specs.17048

Edited by Ralfi
  • Like 1
16 hours ago, PositivelyMusicallyGeared said:

Good thing might be a big discount on the existing products.

I'll be keeping an eye out but also wondering if it's a bad idea from a support & smarts update perspective?    

Sad to see them throw in the towel.   I've been  looking forward the upgrading to their OLED but dragging my feet because my  Plasma just wont die.   

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, manchu said:

I'll be keeping an eye out but also wondering if it's a bad idea from a support & smarts update perspective?    

Sad to see them throw in the towel.   I've been  looking forward the upgrading to their OLED but dragging my feet because my  Plasma just wont die.   

Don't expect any new features / feature fixes via software updates, except perhaps just security patches. 

Haggle hard if you want the last Panasonic. I wouldn't even consider it if the discount is less than 60%.😜

My plasma is still going strong, and I am still very impressed with the quality of the display.

• Like 1

I've only ever bought panasonic TV's. Oh well, have been thinking for a while to get a projector next time anyway. My current screen is 65" which for 4K isn't big enough for my viewing distance, need at least 100", hence projector.

I don't think panasonic make 4k HDR projectors?

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, digitalj said:

I've only ever bought panasonic TV's. Oh well, have been thinking for a while to get a projector next time anyway. My current screen is 65" which for 4K isn't big enough for my viewing distance, need at least 100", hence projector.

I don't think panasonic make 4k HDR projectors?

Panasonic shared epson platform when last did make projectors. So while no Panasonic projector can just buy epson instead

LOVE my Panasonic FX800 , still under warranty - a replacement for my previous faulty Pana TV and they were great to deal with while sorting it all out for me.  hope the warranties and services are still good.

5 hours ago, PositivelyMusicallyGeared said:

Don't expect any new features / feature fixes via software updates, except perhaps just security patches. 

Haggle hard if you want the last Panasonic. I wouldn't even consider it if the discount is less than 60%.😜

My plasma is still going strong, and I am still very impressed with the quality of the display.

Sad to hear of this news, and quite surprised by it actually, especially with the rave reviews Panasonics OLED's have had.

As for don't expect any updates for your Panasonic, well that a sore point with me.

My ex780A TV [called the EX750 in euro] was supposed to get a HDR-10+ update, which they did in euro, but not here.

Panasonic even when so far as to release a update that was one more number along, that had the HDR-10+ decoding removed....of course Panasonic Australia support droids just spat out verbatim spiel that they were told without actually checking anything [I mean they think people can't easily find these things out on the internet], it's a stupid business practice that costs them customers.

Panasonic have never been the same since they pulled out of the USA market.

It's not that their TV's weren't good, they lost their footing with big sales in the lower end of the market when brands like Hisense / TCL and others swamped the market after the GFC.

When you have stores like ALDI and Wallmart in the USA selling these sort of TV's, your old established brands are going to be treading water at best.

Unfortunately it's like the rest of society, the lowest common denominator is winning out = cheap crap for the uneducated masses over a quality product, there seems to be little to no aspiration to own a quality piece of kit now days, it started with HiFi, now it's happening with TV's.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Tweaky said:

Unfortunately it's like the rest of society, the lowest common denominator is winning out = cheap crap for the uneducated masses over a quality product, there seems to be little to no aspiration to own a quality piece of kit now days, it started with HiFi, now it's happening with TV's.

Along with the content to play on said Hifi and said TV.

I am very disappointed.  I am reminded of that phrase 'only the good die young'.

First Pioneer, now Panasonic.

Hopefully my Panasonic OLED lasts well.

Benje

• Like 2
  • Moderators
On 03/02/2020 at 9:43 PM, RankStranger said:

Why can't we just have nice things? 😕

I agree with this sentiment...

Len Wallis has some things to say on his blog on the topic. Agree, surely there is a market for those that do want to buy good things....

https://lenwallisaudio.com/2020/02/panasonic-australia-pulls-the-plug-on-tv-range/

its sad they have to exit. 

• Like 2
58 minutes ago, betty boop said:

I agree with this sentiment...

Len Wallis has some things to say on his blog on the topic. Agree, surely there is a market for those that do want to buy good things....

https://lenwallisaudio.com/2020/02/panasonic-australia-pulls-the-plug-on-tv-range/

its sad they have to exit. 

It’s a good point but if it was a sustainable business model we would still have Loewe

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, RankStranger said:

It’s a good point but if it was a sustainable business model we would still have Loewe

I think loewe is still around. got saved.... :) 

1 hour ago, betty boop said:

I think loewe is still around. got saved.... :) 

Interesting. I hadn’t heard that.

It has already been announced that a new smartphone will be launched [by Loewe] at Mobile World Congress next month, as well as a new range of TVs and audio solutions being unveiled at IFA 2020 later this year“.

I don’t know that that counts as saved but... ok?

Not the only ones, either

http://cphpost.dk/news/business/bang-olufsen-still-losing-money.html

As much as I love having the option to get a better tv for more money, the world at large and Australia in particular apparently doesn’t agree :( 

Tangentially related: I read an interview with the CEO of American tv company Vizio who said he doesn’t care if he makes one penny profit on the tv, his business model is selling the owner’s viewing data to advertisers. Don’t think for a second that they’re the only ones.

Edited by RankStranger

Well the writing was on the wall for Panasonic when I bought my TV back in Nov 2017.

I knew exactly which brand and model of TV I wanted before I went into the store, yet the salesman said to me straight off the bat, mate you don't want a Panasonic, they are like the NOKIA of TV's.

That sort of sums it up.....how they became to be seen like that by sales staff is another matter.

I suspect kickbacks or similar incentives given by the distributors of other brands over the years could have played a role in this.

• Like 1

Yeah sad news indeed. My pana plasma is still going strong after 10 yrs - no doubt in my mind id go with another panasonic when it's time to replace/upgrade.

If TVs were subsidised it might have been of some help.

But since that ship has sailed...

Lets petition for subsidies towards the Playstation thats about to be released.  We dont want Sony leaving now do we.  :D

• Like 1

Like many my two Panasonic plasmas are still going strong and while HD, they still have better picture quality than 4k QLED etc. 

Probably their downfall, if they blew after 5 years I'd have replaced them with Panasonic OLED by now. That and they couldn't keep up with App updates like Samsung etc. 

Laughed when I bought the last one, negotiated big discount on plasma run out sale at Bing Lee then watched as our local Hifi store resold the same models a month later for double the price as premium products over LCD at the time. 

9 hours ago, DrSK said:

Like many my two Panasonic plasmas are still going strong and while HD, they still have better picture quality than 4k QLED etc. 

Probably their downfall, if they blew after 5 years I'd have replaced them with Panasonic OLED by now. That and they couldn't keep up with App updates like Samsung etc. 

Laughed when I bought the last one, negotiated big discount on plasma run out sale at Bing Lee then watched as our local Hifi store resold the same models a month later for double the price as premium products over LCD at the time. 

Yes I still have my VT60 55" purchased on run out from Bing Lee - save for plasma's power consumption they were a superlative product and in all honestly would still consider purchasing a VT60 65" were one ever to pup up in the classifieds.

• Like 1