Panasonic Australia Exits TV Market

The end is nigh for Panasonic and manufacturing of tv's. 

Just like Pioneer, Hitachi, Sharp, Fujitsu, NEC before them.  My two real Hitachi tv's are still going strong.

Only Sony left from Japan.

Edited by metal beat

A strategic decision, I guess. The writing is on the wall - not enough profit, and there would be even less to be had with competing technologies and cheaper manufacturing rivals in the years ahead.

Good thing might be a big discount on the existing products.

Edited by PositivelyMusicallyGeared

1 hour ago, betty boop said:

gosh how disappointing ! they make arguably the best tv on the market ... this is equivalent to pioneers exit with their kuro  in plasma days...

My thoughts exactly.  I remember when I bought my Kuro back in 2006 or so (I just replaced it with a Sony 65" X9500G), the Panasonic plasma was a close second in picture quality.  The Kuros probably priced themselves out of the market.  The Panasonics, especially the OLEDs, seem to have basically done the same thing.  Too bad.

4 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

It’s never logged a profit since 2010 when it began.  wow.

10 years is a long time indeed ! OLED has probably peaked too suspect.... bit like plasma did with the kuro...and with microLED now knocking on the door.... probably figured time had come ...

Just now, betty boop said:

10 years is a long time indeed ! OLED has probably peaked too suspect.... bit like plasma did with the kuro...and with microLED now knocking on the door.... probably figured time had come ...

The issue is that they never get there first, LG and Samsung are always at the forefront ahead of the game, they change range in 6-9mths and even Sony and Sharp can’t even get a foot in the door.   

So sad to read this.

I recently purchased a gz1000 65 oled.

PQ is spectacular.

Panasonic has always been my favorite brand.

Looks like I may have to turn in to a Sony fanboy.?

Most consumers will buy a Hisense , TCL or MelikeYumCha  brand because they get these massive screens for $600 and crap pq to boot which they don't care about anyway.

Edited by CCRider
  • Like 2

I don't think Panasonic have been market leaders since plasma anyway, I'd take a Sony any day...well, I did a couple of years ago, and am still very happy with it.

Nonetheless, not good news, they're a quality product, plus I don't want more market share to go to LG or Samung, just junk.

11 hours ago, betty boop said:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-panasonic-televisions-idUSKCN0YM0UQ

not just australia either its global.... not profitable... gone...

Is that from 2016?

Although, after reading the bad news yesterday, I feel they’re getting out of it completely eventually. Sad stuff.

Edit...

The HZ flagship model was announced at CES...

https://www.avforums.com/news/video-panasonic-hz2000-oled-full-details-and-specs.17048

Edited by Ralfi
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, PositivelyMusicallyGeared said:

Good thing might be a big discount on the existing products.

I'll be keeping an eye out but also wondering if it's a bad idea from a support & smarts update perspective?    

Sad to see them throw in the towel.   I've been  looking forward the upgrading to their OLED but dragging my feet because my  Plasma just wont die.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, manchu said:

I'll be keeping an eye out but also wondering if it's a bad idea from a support & smarts update perspective?    

Sad to see them throw in the towel.   I've been  looking forward the upgrading to their OLED but dragging my feet because my  Plasma just wont die.   

Don't expect any new features / feature fixes via software updates, except perhaps just security patches. 

Haggle hard if you want the last Panasonic. I wouldn't even consider it if the discount is less than 60%.?

My plasma is still going strong, and I am still very impressed with the quality of the display.

• Like 1

I've only ever bought panasonic TV's. Oh well, have been thinking for a while to get a projector next time anyway. My current screen is 65" which for 4K isn't big enough for my viewing distance, need at least 100", hence projector.

I don't think panasonic make 4k HDR projectors?

2 minutes ago, digitalj said:

I've only ever bought panasonic TV's. Oh well, have been thinking for a while to get a projector next time anyway. My current screen is 65" which for 4K isn't big enough for my viewing distance, need at least 100", hence projector.

I don't think panasonic make 4k HDR projectors?

Panasonic shared epson platform when last did make projectors. So while no Panasonic projector can just buy epson instead