RedDogs

Thorens TD160 turntable with SME 3009 arm

Item: Thorens TD160 turntable with SME 3009 Series II Improved arm
Price: $1320
Item Condition: Mostly good
Reason for selling: Not being used
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal (+3.0%), COD Only
Extra Info:

For lovers of vintage turntables, a Thorens TD160 classic turntable. A piece of audio history….

I’ve used this 1970’s Thorens TD160 with a Ortofon 2M Black moving magnet cartridge with pleasing results. 

Below are the changes/improvements I've made to the turntable along the way - 

• Installing an SME 3009 Series II Improved arm and arm board.

• Added dampening to the suspending chassis

• SME arm serviced with new rubber supports. Chassis springs and dampers removed and cleaned.

• Replaced underneath masonite plinth with thicker MDF.

Also -

• Original SME arm also included with arm board. The original arm is still functional but the small anti-skating auto dial is broken. Anti-skating can still be manually adjusted. SME arm is far superior! 

• All original internal turntable fittings with pictures included should you wish to convert to original setup. I have a complete set of pictures showing the original setup which is actually fairly simple. Happy to talk you through it.

Please note there is damage to the rear corner of the Perspex cover. Unfortunate, but doesn’t affect sound. 

Should mention that the Thorens arm raiser post isn’t required as the SME arm has it own lift mechanism. Hence, I cover two small screw mount holes in the Thorens deck with a small level. As seen in the pics. 

There is still room for improving the turntable as I’ve never replaced the original cables or plugs and the rubber legs are still original.

I don’t have the original box but could pack effectively if you wanted to arrange courier pickup and insurance. Insurance would be advisable.

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

Arm level.JPG

Arm stay holes 2.JPG

Chasis.JPG

SME arm.JPG

Thorens 160 head (2).JPG

Speed change.JPG

SME 3009 Series II Improved arm.JPG

Thorens 160 Inside.JPG

Cover.JPG

Cover damage.JPG

Wow.... what suburb mate?

Ashgrove be the suburb!

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By overjp
      Price: $4000 Item Condition: excellent, with all the original accessories & packaging. Shipping Options: Pickup is available,Audition is not available, but in-person pickup can be arranged with limited personal contact Suburb or Town: Melbourne State: Victoria Payment Method: cash, bank transfer Reason for selling: no longer required. Further information: Dark Walnut, prefer local sale but can ship at buyer's risk and expense,
      not D7.2's.

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

• By Eagleeyes
      Price: $2700 Item Condition: Good Shipping Options: Pickup is available,Audition is not available, but in-person pickup can be arranged with limited personal contact Suburb or Town: Perth State: Western Australia Payment Method: Paypal, cash, EFT Reason for selling: Dont use or stream etc cash   Further information: 
      Purchased on SNA from psychometrics in March 2019 as part trade on another product I was selling. with original ad here: https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/297228-sold-fsantipodes-dx-music-server/?tab=comments#comment-4424382
      Has operated flawlessly since purchase using NAIM DAC V1 (separately for sale). Can operate via Vortex Box/Squeezer but I found the iPeng app was better.  Connects to an external DAC via USB. Antipodes in NZ suggested using latest operating system but former owner said he had a later unit using this and preferred the original (see SNA ad) so I kept it.

A few very light scratches/scuff marks on top of the box that I have tried to show in photo. Selling as I don’t listen to a streamer enough or  via headphones much and I have several other sources for vinyl and digital in the main system. 

Reviews include Positive Feedback: https://positive-feedback.com/audio-discourse/audio-ramblings-the-antipodes-dx-music-server/ and John Atkinson in Stereophile: https://www.stereophile.com/content/antipodes-dx-reference-music-server and an interview by John Darko: https://darko.audio/2015/05/antipodes-audio-dx-music-server-review/

Photos: from previous advert.

• By Bunno77
      Price: $2500 Item Condition: Excellent Shipping Options: Pickup is available,Audition is not available, but in-person pickup can be arranged with limited personal contact Suburb or Town: Brisbane Coorparoo State: Queensland Payment Method: Bank Trans, Paypal, Cash Reason for selling: Not being used Further information: 

Unfortunately this just isn't being used anymore. Absolutely fantastic amp in surround or 2 channel. Heaps of info about these here and online.
      Recently replaced 1 module from Magenta at about $500 (great that this is so easily repaired. 4 screws)
      RRP was about $7,000 USD when new

I have original double boxes to post and manual. Modules are very easy to turn on and off which is very handy to keep some spare if not being used

Power Output: 350W RMS continuous into 4 Ohms Distortion THD: <0.007% at 1kHz at all powers up to 350W into 4 Ohms, <0.03% at 7kHz at all powers up to 350W Unbalanced and Balanced Voltage Inputs Thermally controlled forced air cooling Mains Voltage: 190 – 250VAC Remote trigger switch between On & Standby Command Functions: Switch between On & Standby Ability to inhibit individual amplifier modules Amplifier module will indicate Over Temperature condition Halcro Reliability Assurance Service  

SPECIFICATIONS:
      Inputs, selectable
      Unbalanced: RCA sockets
      Balanced: XLR sockets
      Outputs
      Internally bridged: Binding Posts

Command Functions
      Switch between On & Standby
      Ability to inhibit individual amplifier modules
      Amplifier module will indicate Over Temperature condition
      Amplifier module will indicate Over Current condition
      Halcro Reliability Assurance Service

Gain
      Unbalanced and balanced: 29x = 29dB

Power Supply
      Universal switch mode
      Power factor corrected
      Fully protected
      Compliant in all countries

Fault Indications
      LED turns red if Heatsink temperature exceeds 78°C
      LED flashes red if current limit exceeded

Distortion
      THD:<0.005% at 1kHz at all powers up to 350W into 4ohms
      0.02% at 7kHz at all powers up to 350W (typically <0.01% at 350W)
      Noise: <30nV/sqrt(Hz) @ 1kHz referred to input

Impedance
      Input
      Unbalanced: 10k Ohms
      Balanced: 10k Ohms
      Output impedance at 7kHz
      <80 milliohms

Power
      Consumption
      Idle: <14W
      350W with 4 Ohm load: <22W heat (>94% efficient)

Mains Voltage
      100-250 VAC

Dimensions
      Weight: 25.0 kg
      Height: 7 inches or 169mm
      Width: 17 inches or 438mm
      Depth: 16 inches or 410mm

• By Eagleeyes
      Price: $2500 Item Condition: AS new Shipping Options: Pickup is available,Audition is not available, but in-person pickup can be arranged with limited personal contact Suburb or Town: Perth State: Western Australia Payment Method: Paypal, cash, EFT Reason for selling: Upgrading AVID PELLERE Phono stage 2 box with seperate power supply

Extra Info: The equipment is 18 months old and all is in perfect working order and has hardly been used comes with original boxes.

https://hifipig.com/avid-hifi-pellere-phonostage/

• By Eagleeyes
      Price: $3500 Item Condition: Very very good, one small scratch on top lid Shipping Options: Pickup is available Suburb or Town: Perth State: Western Australia Payment Method: Paypal, cash, EFT Reason for selling: Upgrading   Esoteric E-03 dual input phono stage- run 2 turntables from one phono stage- Esoteric sound and build.

Very Good one small scratch on top

No longer required- Krispy sold one for 4000 a week or two ago

All original packaging & Manual - (power lead missing will supply standard one.)