Sign in to follow this  
THOMO

Troels Gravesen Faital 3 Way-Valve amp heaven?

This medium/high efficiency  design with a 12 inch pro woofer,6 inch pro mid and Scanspeak tweeter design looks almost too good to be true if you a user of lowish powered valve amps or SETs ,zero negative feedback low power class A or current drive SS amps .On paper at least it almost looks like a godsend in terms of an easy to drive full range affordable speaker project.The drivers are affordable and the crossover count is quite low and relatively simple.

What is especially impressive is the impedance curve-almost flat from 30hz to 20000Hz [range 5 ohms to 9 ohms].You do not see that too often and combined with 93db sensitivity it suggests it should be a very easy load.Something that will electrically get out of the way and allow you to hear amps as they really are?

Look at the impedance [red line] and electrical phase response [green line].

image.png.ba98f21ca8eeff8afb0d41b4c6c63970.png

Not the highest WAF suppose but I have seen a lot worse.

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Faital-3WC.htm

Edited by THOMO

Compared to say this-

Like giving the amplifier a booby trapped obstacle course-

image.png.aa3a0f2df3cf0fb8c6861b541f0c15ae.png

24 minutes ago, THOMO said:

This medium/high efficiency  design with a 12 inch pro woofer,6 inch pro mid and Scanspeak tweeter design looks almost too good to be true if you a user of lowish powered valve amps or SETs ,zero negative feedback low power class A or current drive SS amps .On paper at least it almost looks like a godsend in terms of an easy to drive full range affordable speaker project.The drivers are affordable and the crossover count is quite low and relatively simple.

What is especially impressive is the impedance curve-almost flat from 30hz to 20000Hz [range 5 ohms to 9 ohms].You do not see that too often and combined with 93db sensitivity it suggests it should be a very easy load.Something that will electrically get out of the way and allow you to hear amps as they really are?

Look at the impedance [red line] and electrical phase response [green line].

image.png.ba98f21ca8eeff8afb0d41b4c6c63970.png

Not the highest WAF suppose but I have seen a lot worse.

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Faital-3WC.htm

I didn’t think they looked too bad. From personal experience I would say that 93db sensitivity is low for 2W SETs etc. 98db+ is about where you can extract good volume without compression. 

Is there a link to an independent review. Not a technical overview but a genuine listening review? 

Nice looking speakers though. 

Edited by mwhouston

Very nice looking speaker.

49 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

I didn’t think they looked too bad. From personal experience I would say that 93db sensitivity is low for 2W SETs etc. 98db+ is about where you can extract good volume without compression. 

Is there a link to an independent review. Not a technical overview but a genuine listening review? 

Nice looking speakers though. 

If you would have read the article you would have noticed that he states the minimum wattage required to drive the speakers is 20W not 2W.

The review he is giving is as independent as it gets. It is not like he makes money by selling his speakers and I do not think he is particularly biased towards his own creations unlike some. 

On 01/02/2020 at 11:48 PM, Ihearmusic said:

Very nice looking speaker.

If you would have read the article you would have noticed that he states the minimum wattage required to drive the speakers is 20W not 2W.

The review he is giving is as independent as it gets. It is not like he makes money by selling his speakers and I do not think he is particularly biased towards his own creations unlike some. 

To be fair, Troels does make a bit of money since you only get the crossover values when buying the kit through Jantzen Audio. But I think that's only fair considering the amount of work he puts into it.

That being said, I wouldn't hesitate building this. Troels is a really good loudspeaker designer and definitely knows what he's doing. On top of that he's a great guy to deal with. I have built a couple of his designs and was never disappointed with them.