Vinyl v Digital

On 27/07/2020 at 7:35 PM, muon* said:

When I was 40 and started in this hobby I could just faintly hear a 21kHz test tone through average headphones, now I'm down to 15 - 16kHz.

I wasn't much of a party or concert goer, only occasionally.....didn't even own a stereo myself until when i started this hobby. The old chalk/blackboard or knife - fork/plate sounds were torture most of my life and I'd throw my hands up to cover my ears every time, not as annoying these days.

I don't believe you.

But don't feel bad its not important.

• Like 1

On 27/07/2020 at 7:04 PM, Colin Rutter said:

A person who can hear anywhere near 22kHz must have a dog as a close relative.

Funny you should post that...

I remember as a very very young tacker maybe as a  2/3yo our friends who lived a street away from my parents in West Footdescray they had bought a TV (black and white and very tiny screen, I had to  lay on their carpet three feet away to get an idea of what was going on!)...that was a real rarity back then in those days (have no kids so buy a TV!  :) )

Anyways my parents had a long standing invitation to come around on a Sunday afternoon to watch TV...I was absolutely wrapped TV!!!...all I can remember any of us watching was a 1/2 hour submarine show where the intro showed a periscope rising and breaking the water above and Disneyland! Yes!  And some films one in particular I still can remember in parts but I was too young to make much sense of...but have never been able to track down anywhere...

(black and white movie seen in 1954 sometime...three kids walking around a large tree trunk, one boy/two young girls and one of the girls tricks the other girl by calling her from behind the tree into going the wrong way and presumably getting lost! I was stunned why would she do that Moma?!? Moma?!? why?!?! why?!? huh?!? Why moma?!? Moma never had a short answer and always came out with a long winded East European explanation about good and evil and how it always seemed to involve God and the Angels, 12 Apostles. and also about going to Church on Sundays regularly...r-e-g-u-l-a-r-l-y!!!..an explanation which was still ongoing by the time we all reached home...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :) ) good luck with tracking that one down! Whirlpool movie threads anyone! :) )

Anyhoo on our weekly trips to the neighbours house and TV I some how came to realize that when the neighbours where home the TV was on and vice versa...and the TV being on produced a very high pitch noise that I could hear in the air above their house...I could hear it or not hear it at least a house away from the neighbours...I would tell my parents with great certainty and delight that their friends were home and the TV was on because I could hear it...don't be silly johnnee, we vill check virst do see if dey are hom!..No moma, tatee I can hear the TV...can you hear it?!? I always got a disappointing blank stare and a negative shake of the head back in return. When I got a few moma/tatee they are not home and i can't hear the TV confirmed and right...they started to believe me...demon child! :)  Maybe I was a foundling lost just like the children in that film?!? Maybe they were not my parents?!? Maybe I was a wolf child from East Europe that they secretly adopted and smuggled into Australia , who knows?!?

Wait a minute...Stop, now, what's that sound, Everybody look what's going down, Stop, children, what's that sound, Everybody look what's going down...

Edited by BLAH BLAH

7 hours ago, Colin Rutter said:

I don't believe you.

But don't feel bad its not important.

Of course you don't.

I couldn't feel bad about it as It's not my issue.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BLAH BLAH said:

Funny you should post that...

I remember as a very very young tacker maybe as a  2/3yo our friends who lived a street away from my parents in West Footdescray they had bought a TV (black and white and very tiny screen, I had to  lay on their carpet three feet away to get an idea of what was going on!)...that was a real rarity back then in those days (have no kids so buy a TV!  :) )

Anyways my parents had a long standing invitation to come around on a Sunday afternoon to watch TV...I was absolutely wrapped TV!!!...all I can remember any of us watching was a 1/2 hour submarine show where the intro showed a periscope rising and breaking the water above and Disneyland! Yes!  And some films one in particular I still can remember in parts but I was too young to make much sense of...but have never been able to track down anywhere...

(black and white movie seen in 1954 sometime...three kids walking around a large tree trunk, one boy/two young girls and one of the girls tricks the other girl by calling her from behind the tree into going the wrong way and presumably getting lost! I was stunned why would she do that Moma?!? Moma?!? why?!?! why?!? huh?!? Why moma?!? Moma never had a short answer and always came out with a long winded East European explanation about good and evil and how it always seemed to involve God and the Angels, 12 Apostles. and also about going to Church on Sundays regularly...r-e-g-u-l-a-r-l-y!!!..an explanation which was still ongoing by the time we all reached home...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :) ) good luck with tracking that one down! Whirlpool movie threads anyone! :) )

Anyhoo on our weekly trips to the neighbours house and TV I some how came to realize that when the neighbours where home the TV was on and vice versa...and the TV being on produced a very high pitch noise that I could hear in the air above their house...I could hear it or not hear it at least a house away from the neighbours...I would tell my parents with great certainty and delight that their friends were home and the TV was on because I could hear it...don't be silly johnnee, we vill check virst do see if dey are hom!..No moma, tatee I can hear the TV...can you hear it?!? I always got a disappointing blank stare and a negative shake of the head back in return. When I got a few moma/tatee they are not home and i can't hear the TV confirmed and right...they started to believe me...demon child! :)  Maybe I was a foundling lost just like the children in that film?!? Maybe they were not my parents?!? Maybe I was a wolf child from East Europe that they secretly adopted and smuggled into Australia , who knows?!?

Wait a minute...Stop, now, what's that sound, Everybody look what's going down, Stop, children, what's that sound, Everybody look what's going down...

Children can hear pitches up around 16-18khz maybe 20khz in exceptional cases

By the time we are 40, 12 to 14khz would be very good hearing if no industrial hearing loss has occured..

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Colin Rutter said:

By the time we are 40, 12 to 14khz would be very good hearing if no industrial hearing loss has occured..

So black an white.......pun intended xD

1 hour ago, Colin Rutter said:

Even at my advanced age...and through many industrial jobs(with all sorts of ear-muffs and those soft rubber jelly bean thingies stuck deep inside one's ears and then pulled back out attached to long plastic strings) my hearing still manages to surprise me with what it can pick up and always on first initial hearing...regular high pitched sounds irritate me into head aches and nausea ...I revel in the boom boom of Bass get down right down...Get down and dirtyI know you heard me,  Get down and dirty, (Everybody get down)...then again too much of a good thing like Bass makes me complain too...moderation grasshopper... :) 

Edited by BLAH BLAH
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BLAH BLAH said:

Even at my advanced age...and through many industrial jobs(with all sorts of ear-muffs and those soft rubber jelly bean thingies stuck deep inside one's ears and then pulled back out attached to long plastic strings) my hearing still manages to surprise me with what it can pick up and always on first initial hearing...regular high pitched sounds irritate me into head aches and nausea ...I revel in the boom boom of Bass get down right down...Get down and dirtyI know you heard me,  Get down and dirty, (Everybody get down)...then again too much of a good thing like Bass makes me complain too...moderation grasshopper... :) 

There is always an exceptional exception.

You can be one and Mister muon too.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Colin Rutter said:

I'm now personally relieved since the office world moved on from CRT computer monitors. 

Nothing worse than a whole room full of high frequency screamers. Used to drive me nuts and used headphones to mask it all.

Only now put up with it on my man cave Panasonic Plasa. Waiting on excuse for OLED or Samsung to get their MicroLED at domestic scale and prices. 

On the whole analogue digital thing. 

I think digital got off to a bad start and has ongoing issues with DAC quality. 

The difference between CD players in the home retail market and a decent DAC are night and day and I believe these CD players let the digital side down. Or perhaps it was the realities of the tech itself, great idea but the cost to get it back to analogue well is/was more than many people wanted to pay compared to available analogue products. 

On 29/07/2020 at 9:36 AM, BLAH BLAH said:

.I could hear it or not hear it at least a house away from the neighbours...I would tell my parents with great certainty and delight that their friends were home and the TV was on because I could hear it...don't be silly johnnee, we vill check virst do see if dey are hom!..No moma, tatee I can hear the TV...can you hear it?!? I always got a disappointing blank stare and a negative shake of the head back in return.

You would have been hearing the noise produced by vibrations of the TV's horizontal deflection circuitry operating at 15,625 Hz.  

Not unusual for children to be able to hear that frequency when in the same room as the TV. But you did very well to hear it a house (or two) away!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
On 10/04/2022 at 9:43 PM, TheBlackDisc said:

David Bland, the retailer interviewed in this segment, used to run Pet Sounds in suburban Melbourne during the 1980's.  It was an exceptional suburban record store - very helpful and informed staff who looked after their regulars by providing exceptional customer service.  Unfortunately, it was also was the site of an armed holdup. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, audiofeline said:

David Bland, the retailer interviewed in this segment, used to run Pet Sounds in suburban Melbourne during the 1980's.  It was an exceptional suburban record store - very helpful and informed staff who looked after their regulars by providing exceptional customer service.  Unfortunately, it was also was the site of an armed holdup. 

Pet Sounds used to be a great record store. I bought lots of LPs from there

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well now we know who won this debate🍿

Any record lovers feeling a little silly right now I’m here to help

Ive got a whole list of great records no one has ever heard of that you could buy and extol the virtues of to help with your loss of credibility 😄

Start with this one (in any format or price range) it will sound incredible

944FF1A1-1603-49CF-A0BE-2A8538FEB337.jpeg

• 10 months later...

Interesting entry which is bound to excite and annoy nearly everybody. But the author is fairly thorough and not at all long-winded.

Although I've seen it reproduced in a number of places, I think this is the original article: Myths (Vinyl).

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Cloth Ears said:

Interesting entry which is bound to excite and annoy nearly everybody. But the author is fairly thorough and not at all long-winded.

Although I've seen it reproduced in a number of places, I think this is the original article: Myths (Vinyl).

Better or worse is quite subjective..... but some super important facts, when people are considering this:

• The higher resolution (>>20khz) reply of vinyl is very very distorted.... this is when you look at the output of the phono ... and that is before it even gets to your speaker (which distorts it more)
    • .... but that's ok, because those frequencies don't help anyways.

• Vinyl (even crazy 6 figure players) has much higher non-linear distortion (<< 20khz) ... but that's ok, cos NLD is practically inaudible anyways.
    • You don't want NLD if you're mixing/mastering/producing/archiving... but at playback, it's mostly a non-issue, within reason.

• If you look at the output of the phono... and compare it to the CD... they usually have pretty dramatically different frequency response.
    • This is why they sound different.  They are just simply not the same content (or the equipment is not designed/calibrated right)
    • This is why if you record the output of a phono, and play it back through a digital system, it sounds just like the vinyl did.

People like vinyl, some like CD... this is normal and expected.... they just usually get the "why/how are they different, and why does that matter" pretty messed up.

Vinyl has worse "specs" than CD... but it doesn't really matter much.

Vinyl and CD playback are rarely the same (frequency response) and this is why they sound different.

The fact that vinyls "bad specs" (even on a SOTA record player) are quite sufficient for good quality playback.... just goes to show, how irrelevant or overstated a lot of the "important specs" that we've been told to look at, really are, for a playback system.

• Like 5
  • Love 2

The article made me laugh. I have to be honest and say that I also believed some of these myths, but overtime learnt that most vinyl claims are romantic. Nevertheless, I still buy vinyls because I enjoy the warmth they provide.

• Like 1
  • Love 1