Sign in to follow this  
hiphile

SOLD: FS: NAD 5120 Turntable with Ortofon OM5E

Item: NAD 5120 Turntable with Ortofon OM5E
Price: $250
Item Condition: Excellent overall. Perfect working condition, great cosmetically (perspex lid has superficial scratches from years of being wiped/cleaned).
Reason for selling: Upgraded to a new TT
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
Extra Info:

This NAD 5120 is a time capsule. I bought it mint from a gentleman in the outer Melbourne suburbs in 2012, he had bought it brand new in the late 80s, used it for a couple of months then stopped using it and had put it back in its original box. For 20+ years it was in storage in its original box and when I bought it I had the pleasure to unbox it again. The sticky tape had almost perished / disintegrated and left a sticky mess.. nothing a citrus cleanser can't fix of course.

Sounded pretty good out of the box (I had it hooked up to a Rega Fono Mini) but I knew the original cartridge and stylus would've been long past its best before date. I put a fresh Ortofon OM5E, a new drive belt and took it to Carlton AV for a proper setup and voila, it sings!

Over the last 9 years I have enjoyed the NAD, listening on average only 1-2 hours per month - it did not get much use at all. Very very clean deck overall and well looked after. Stylus is regularly cleaned with a carbon bristle brush and has dust cap included.

The NAD 5120 is the epitome of NAD's quirkiness + 80s overengineering. The sub-plate is floating, suspended by springs, isolated from the main chassis from vibration. The counterweight is freely sprung in a magical 80s viscoelastic liquid in a reservoir! NAD calls it DVA - Dynamic Vibration Absorber. Patrick Bateman would've been really into this.

Lastly, it has a super handy auto-stop function which I really like.. you can listen to records to sleep and not worry about the stylus being ground to oblivion.

Own (and listen) to this 80s vintage piece of cool.

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.IMG_20200127_193244.jpg.698934b99597d581bc20cc7a27182ca0.jpgIMG_20200127_193259.jpg.ae52a2652f74d103b0ac7be6c77f4356.jpgIMG_20200127_193314.jpg.240845528ac3ba1c2e1b55d17fa61f3f.jpg

Edited by hiphile

It looks very pretty. 

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Classifieds Statistics

Currently Active Ads

Total Sales (Since 2018)

Total Sales Value (Last 14 Days)

Total Ads Value (Since March 2020)
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Wilde
      Item Condition: Used Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available. Suburb or Town: Peakhurst State: New South Wales Payment Method: Cash on pickup Reason for selling: No room for it Further information: 

I purchased this turntable new less than a week ago. I intended to keep it but there is no space to set it up properly in the area I keep my system. I’m selling it because it is unfortunately too impractical for me to set it up elsewhere or change the furniture around. 

The turntable was used once on the first day I got it. Everything is in working order and in as new condition. I also have the box, manuals etc. 

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

• By law18
      Hi guys, 

I've inherited a Perreaux 6000B and SM2 preamp in good condition. Given the age of these items I would really like to get them rebuilt with quality parts to last another 30+ years, by someone who knows what they're doing, is thorough and does a high quality job (including soldering and wiring cleanly). 

I am located in Brisbane and would prefer to have someone local to perform the work. 

If anyone has recommendations for someone to perform this work that would be very much appreciated. I've done an Internet search however haven't really come up with much. 
    • By bigears
      Item Condition: Excellent (one small scratch) Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available. Suburb or Town: PASCOE VALE State: Victoria Payment Method: PayPal, cash on pick up Reason for selling: Need to raise funds for family expenses Further information:

Purchased in 2013 from Audio Fidelity as Ex Display, (Came with a small scratch on crystal platter).  Low hours of use and well taken care of, Perfect working order with no damage. This is a stunning piece of German engineering with the audio quality just as good.
      Unfortunately not original packaging is available with this turntable, (so not to keen to ship)  But i do have the tools and perspex dust cover for it.  
      Drive Mechanism: Direct Drive, Platter driven by a proprietary, magnetic field motor Power supply: External, solid-state power supply Bearing: Hydrostatic, zero-maintenance bearing Platter: Resonance-optimized, anodized aluminum alloy; crystal-glass platter mat / clamp Plinth Oasis: Resonance-optimized anodized aluminum alloy, wood frame Chassis  Oasis: Movable (rotating) without play for simple and precise tonearm adjustment. Accepts all tonearms between 9” and 10.5“ effective length Connectors: RCA, or feed-through for tonearms with 5-pin DIN connectors RPM: 33 1/3 and 45, selectable by a switch LED indicator for speed (33 1/3 = green, 45 = red) Deviation from nominal speed: 0.0% (adjustable) Fine adjustment of speed: ± 10% with trim pot Wow & Flutter: 0.07% linear, 0.035% weighted DIN 45507 Speed-up time: 12 / 16 seconds (33 1/3 / 45 rpm) Rumble (noise): -64 dB (test record DIN 45544); -68 dB (measuring adapter) Weight Oasis: Total 26 kg (Plinth 15 kg, Platter 10 kg, Power Supply 1 kg)   

• By Brian_S
      Hi all.
      Hoping some of you gurus may want to weigh in with some advice / direction please;
      I have an RP6 with Exact cart, upgraded with Groovetracer sub platter and Little Belter blue belt. I love it - rhythmic, engaging, detailed - so much so that my LP12 has been relegated to the soon to be sold shelf in my storeroom (controversial, I agree). 
      So, now considering upgrade paths for the RP6 I'm considering one / some of the the following;

Groovetracer Delrin plater (approx $700), 
      RB 330 tonearm (also approx $700),
      NEO PSU $449
      Fono MC preamp $449
      Ania MC Cart $999

Alternatively, I could sell my existing RP6 for (say) $1000 and pick up a new P6 TT w no cart (that already includes the NEO + RB330) for 2K, or with a new exact fitted $2399. or with the Ania MC for $2799. So basically I could have a new P6 for a cost delta of a grand.

I have my own ideas on what would give the best improvements / cost but would really appreciate recommendations from you all on what path would provide the greatest sonic benefits.

FYI - the RP6 plays directly through my Plinus 9200 in-built phono stage.

Thanks in advance.
      Cheers,
      Brian

• Guest Dimitri K
      By Guest Dimitri K
      Item: Vintage Benytone Turntable
      Price: 150
      Item Condition: Excellent
      Reason for selling: Not using it
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info: Vintage Benytone turntable for sale. Purchased from a vintage hi-fi store a few years ago. The turntable was refurbished by the store. Excellent working condition.

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.