Sign in to follow this  
2Brix

Kenwood KP-1100/9010 headshell+cart combo suggestions

Calling past and present owners, sales or service techs *with first hand knowledge* of Kenwood KP-1100/-9010 turntables.   If you don't mind could share please your experience of which headshell+cart combo have worked well... or which have not!! 

Both in terms of sound....but also in terms of *weights* compatible with the Kenwood arm. 

I don't have a manual nor know how to interpret the info i find online (where's that darn confused emoji gone?).

Not knowing any better I'm thinking of Jelco HS-25 headshell combined with Denon DL-103R cart.   

Cheers

2B

Edited by 2Brix
typo

I've had Kenwood KD decks for around 15 years I have no wish to use anything else. 

You do know that these decks were designed from the ground up. I daily watch NHK World, the Japanese public service channel. Their science programmes show just how open minded and innovative the Japanese are. 

The Kenwood engineers paid no heed to 'received wisdom' often turning out to be sclerotic and out of date. The arm was designed specifically for these KD/KP decks. Described by an industry professional as 'one of the best' of gimbal arms. The supplied headshell is a solid piece of aluminium as you will well know. One piece arms were rejected thankfully or your post would never have happened. Don't reject this h/shell, it does an excellent job at rejecting vibration and resonances that might get past the detachable nature. You can also use a minimal amount of blutac at the interface to kill any vibration travelling up the arm wand but the way the Kenwoods are built that is unlikely.

I use an AT 33 EV MC. with the Kenwood h/shell. It was my first MC and it performs way above it's price, there is nothing to criticise from top to bottom and I play all kinds of music. Then came the AT ART 9 BUT there are too many stories of people receiving dodgy examples and there is the  Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC *  which can be retipped by Soundsmith for a very reasonable price, read the shootout between the two cartridges on Audiogon. 

I would have bought the Soundsmith but Don't like being ripped off on the price difference between the USA and EU and it's not the 20% import duty alone but the greedy sellers in all EU countries. These 3 cartridges will all perform well on the existing arm as will the  the Denon.   

I also wanted to increase the range of cartridges I could use by lowering the effective mass of the arm by using a lightweight h/shell. I also purchased both aluminium and nylon screw/bolt sets.. The nylon set will definitely have a better dampening effect as well.

Years ago I bought a s/hand (virtually unused) Pickering 7500S cartridge. This is a LOMM and needs at least a medium to low mass arm. I have been able to reduce the mass using lightweight alternative fittings. With a one piece arm we wouldn't have the opportunity to experiment.

Don't forget you have with the KD/KP decks the simple but brilliant end of side arm lift meaning you can think of removing the finger lift on a lightweight h/shell which removes a possible source of vibration.

I’ve used and been happy with an Ortofon 2M Bronze and Benz Micro Ace on my 9010. I’ll need to look up the headshells and get back to you.

I also had the manual translated to English, which I’m happy to share with you. 

Hi Southerly and Goatboy, many thanks for your replies 😊

I don't have the original headshell but i managed to find a manual for the KD-990 which i think was pretty similar, and it stated original headshell weight 12g, and maximum of 24g total for headshell+cartridge.

Cheers

Ed

Edited by 2Brix
some more words

I don't have any experience with the Kenwood, so can't give specific advice there.

On a more general note, using a lighter/heavier headshell can be a strategy to decreasing/increasing the mass of a tonearm to tweak compliance compatibility with a particular cart.  

On 03/02/2020 at 6:34 PM, Goatboy said:

I’ve used and been happy with an Ortofon 2M Bronze and Benz Micro Ace on my 9010. I’ll need to look up the headshells and get back to you.

I also had the manual translated to English, which I’m happy to share with you

Thanks for that very kind offer Goatboy, which i took you up on today.

I really appreciate the generous share!

Cheers

Ed

I was given an FR mk3 and had it retipped by Garrot - a great cartridge worth more than the deck, I know ( mine is the Kp 990)

will get it set up a bit better by A friend if he can ( he has written extensively on the business at the analogue department.

i have an fr7 too but it’s too heavy- and am thinking of adding weight ( blutack? ) to the counterweight. 
then I can have a shoot out with the technics epa  on a big Jvc direct drive