PLEX Owners & Discussion Thread

20 hours ago, Marc said:

Lately I've swung over to Infuse. Still using a Plex Server, but Infuse as the player. I find it a more compatible, more responsive, and something else I just can't put my finger on. 

I'm using Infuse on an Apple TV 4k. It's the only app which takes advantage of the Apple TV's 4K hardware decoder. Absolutely no frame skipping when viewing 4k content. If you try VLC on Apple TV 4K, you can see that it struggles at times with stutter because it doesn't utilise the hardware decoder. 

I've also read that the NVidia shield is a decent 4K content player, but have read other forums that it too stutters. Kind of like trying to use raw processing power to decode 4k content.

• Administrator

The downside is it still doesn't do bitstream/passthrough, meaning via AppleTV there is still no way to get Atmos unfortunately.

I've got a Shield Pro arriving today so will be putting it through its paces later. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am life-pass member for a long time, set up desiccated server with 8 bays of HHDs which is about 40TB, purely for movies and TV.  play 4k thru plex in Kodi in my HTPC  so I can fully utilize Madvr functionality.

• Like 1

Started using Plex earlier this year and recently purchased a Plex Pass.  Plex Server is installed on a Lenovo M93P Tiny PC which is always left on with media on a separate USB drive.  All my movies and photos are on there and the library is shared with family members, also used remotely via internet.  Works very well for us. 

Just about to dip my toes...

Have approx 1000 Blu-rays and am keen to reclaim some shelf space.  To that end I purchased a discounted/discontinued Synology DS918 and will begin with running Plex from the NAS. If that proves insufficient for any transcoding will switch to a Mac Mini who's current sole purpose is to run Audirvana. Knowing how far down the rabbit hole i've gone with digitising music i'm a little apprehensive about beginning this project ha ha

Edited by Black Label

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone else having issues with Plex and Hisense TV's? It's been working fine for years and then all of a sudden stopped working. I've played around with all the settings and just will not connect. Keep getting the error message "Plex is offline or unreachable”

I've also updated plex to the latest version, updated the TV, logged out and then back in. Not sure what else I can try.

Any help would be appreciated. I'll also try Plex Support.....

I just bought a Synology 218play for audio, but may try it out with plex for video too, is it underpowered for the job? 64bit quad core 1.4GHz cpu and 1 gig of DDR4 RAM.

Drives are 2x 4Tb red.

13 hours ago, leon0001 said:

I am currently running Moode on my raspberry pi4, does anyone know if I can install plex server on the same pi ? 

Hi Leon0001, you can certainly run plex server on the pi4 and there's plenty of online tutorials on how to do it. I can't say how well it would run but it seems plenty of people do it.

Let us know how you go as I'd be interested to know.

Cheers, John

Pi4 with 4gb of ram runs plex server just fine as long as your playback devices can direct stream the videos.

If it tries to transcode you would quickly run out of power,  audio only transcodes are usually fine on low power hardware though.

Same goes for the Synology 218.

Basically, the better your playback clients, the less server power you need.

I have tried raaspberry pi 4 with both Plex and Moode Audio last few days. With Plex installed on the top of Moode, it doesnt seem working properly while scanning my NAS drive. Running Plex itself on a raspberry Pi 4 seems fine, no issues with streaming/transcoding music remotely. But transoding a video would cause CPU usage to peak at 90% - 100%.

2gb memory should be more than enough, the bottleneck is with the CPU, not RAM from what I can see from the Plex dashboard.

• Administrator

A Raspberry Pi is not powerful enough to run PLEX with any real performance. 

As soon as you need to transcode anything, forget about it. I built an i9 Plex Server to do that.

The trick is to use players that don't need to transcode at all.

In the end I abandoned the concept and moved to a Zappiti 4K HDR Pro tapping into my existing Synology NAS storage.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • Administrator

Coming back to a media player via ATV or Nvidia Shield today - too many HDMI compatibility issues between my JBL SDP-55 and Zappiti 4K Pro.

Where is everyone at with this? Happy to use Plex, Kodi, Infuse etc, but it must passthrough Atmos to the AV processor. That was the sticking point for me last time raound.

2 hours ago, Marc said:

Coming back to a media player via ATV or Nvidia Shield today - too many HDMI compatibility issues between my JBL SDP-55 and Zappiti 4K Pro.

Where is everyone at with this? Happy to use Plex, Kodi, Infuse etc, but it must passthrough Atmos to the AV processor. That was the sticking point for me last time raound.

Hey Marc,

After being a long time Plex user, I ended up giving it away as I had way too many issues with playback of UHD files from my NAS. I went back to Kodi and whilst it might take a while to set up to your liking/needs, I found it well worth the effort. Very happy with my set up, running 4K movies with no issues and passthrough to my AV amp.

• Like 1

On 21/10/2020 at 11:30 AM, GaryT said:

Pi4 with 4gb of ram runs plex server just fine as long as your playback devices can direct stream the videos.

If it tries to transcode you would quickly run out of power,  audio only transcodes are usually fine on low power hardware though.

Same goes for the Synology 218.

Basically, the better your playback clients, the less server power you need.

Ditto. Unless you have some grunt avail, best to re-encode the vids to the format and resolution that is optimal for the intended screen offline, and then store that copy on the NAS.  That way, when needed, you just direct stream it to the relevant device.  Forget on-the-fly transcoding via any NAS device at this point...

• 2 months later...

I'm another Plex user with a Lifetime Plex Pass.

I run the server on a Synology DS1019+ with 20TB of space and two empty drive bays for expansion when needed. Films only ripped from DVD, BD and UHDs.

I already had music sorted years ago with a Squeezebox setup and Plex is crap for photographs. I use the DS Photo app.

Media player is an Nvidia Shield Pro 2019.

Edited by Mr_Orange

• 1 month later...

Been trying to get Plex to work for some time now...might even be years.  Main reason for this was so household members could stream movies in various rooms.  I discovered Plex doesn't play nicely with Xbox and kindasorta gave up on the idea but also kept ripping movies to my NAS anyway.

My Oppo UHD player and my old Oppo BD player can both play movies over the network from my NAS.  

As I said I've given up on the Xbox but am keen to get this working via Apple TV.  However, via my Oppo I get the surround sound codec being sent to mt AVR.  Form the Apple TV I get MCH Audio!!!  

What am I doing wrong?

• Administrator

That sounds like an Apple TV problem, not Plex. Assuming your AVR audio mode is set correctly for the ATV input, then give this a whirl:

https://www.jeffperrinmusic.com/blog/why-is-surround-sound-not-working-on-apple-tv/

Just keep in mind, unless something has changed recently you won't get Atmos out of Plex on the Apple TV. 

Thanks Marc.  I'm getting all the different sound codecs from streaming services like Netflix and Apple Streaming - including Atmos.  The source material plays as 5.1 DTS master HD thru my oppo.

I'll double check the settings as per the link you provided and report back.

On 21/06/2021 at 7:45 AM, Marc said:

Just keep in mind, unless something has changed recently you won't get Atmos out of Plex on the Apple TV. 

Yes.

ATV only supports E-AC3 and not TrueHD.    Most Atmos is encoded inside TrueHD.

Atmos from E-AC3, works....   TrueHD is recoded by the software for the ATV, and while that allows TrueHD to be decoded and played in full quality.....  the Atmos metadata is lost.

On 21/06/2021 at 7:17 PM, blairy said:

Thanks Marc.  I'm getting all the different sound codecs from streaming services like Netflix and Apple Streaming - including Atmos.

Streaming services use E-AC3 (where Atmos works fine) due to its lower bitrate.

Edited by davewantsmoore

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone,

I have a Sony X900h TV  that i am running plex on and i keep getting it crashing when I am jumping around from song to song or show to show.

I find if i clear the cache it fixes it up and starts running fine again but im wondering if anyone else had this problem and found a better solution. 

Alternatively is there a better free app for android TV that will play my locally stored music.

Thanks,

Jono

Edited by jonooo

• 11 months later...
5 hours ago, barbz127 said:

https://www.engadget.com/plex-reset-passwords-potential-data-breach-082347517.html

Plex.tv has only just come back online, time to login and change your passwords.

This is a good reason not to reuse the same password everywhere too.

I got an email from plex regarding this.  Yep, just did that.