Tube phono stage

1 hour ago, tommy100 said:

Hi,

I’m looking for a tube phono stage to upgrade from my Heed Audio Quasar. Cart is a Dynavector 20x2L, and budget is around $1,200.  Any thoughts?

An upgrade from a Heed Quasar which is tube ... and around $1200 - good luck with that!  :lol:

Andy

You can get EAR - 834P clone and get some good tubes. I really like my haggerman cornet 3 with teddy pardo LPS those combo cost between $1100-1200 depending currency conversion and postage option, then you need to spend extra 1-200 for some nice tubes. But not sure how it compares with the Quasar

1 hour ago, tommy100 said:

The heed isn’t tube. But get your point on my budget. It’s definitely too low. 

Sorry, my sentence construction was not as clear as it should've been.  :(  I should've phrased it "a tube upgrade from the Heed Phasar ..."

I would second @mloutfie's suggestion of a Hagerman Cornet 3 as being a good-sounding phono stage.  One good thing about that is that (despite using tubes) it uses a 'wall-wart' (SMPS) to provide power.  I'm not sure of the voltage but you can start off with, say, an inexpensive Meanwell initially ... and then when funds are available, replace this with a LPS for an upgrade in SQ:

• a Teddy Pardo like Mahdie is using,
  • or an Sbooster
  • or a Gieseler.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/01/2020 at 2:39 PM, pulinap said:

Allnic 

Goldenage Audio

Line Magnetic

Supratek 

New Valve Order

Coincident 

Plenty to pick....

Has someone taken over Goldenage Audio.....  Duc's gear was stunning though he's no longer with us (God rest his soul).

I'd suggest Abbas Audio for a quality tube phono stage,  though mines in the process of being built still. :)

Edited by MattyW

Hi Tommy(?), the link below leads to the website of Transcendent Sound (Bruce Rosenblit) and offers one of the best value for money Phono Stages available. If your handy with an iron, buy it in kit form, if not, buy it built! These kits are very easy to build however. I've had mine for 8 years or so, modified it slightly, and I imagine you'll need to spend upwards of $5K AUD to better it. And it's bullet proof. If your in the Geelong area some time I'd be happy to demonstrate. Price on Bruce's website is in USD of course. I've attached an old photo of the internals of mine for your reference. The coupling caps have since been swapped for Jupitor Coppers and made a substantial difference. They are also super quiet for a  Tube Phono which is no small feat. Note : they are M Magnet gain only, and a Step Up is required for M Coils.

Cheers Mark.

https://www.transcendentsound.com/phono-preamp.html

P4260002.JPG