Brisi newbie needs advice to fix a Marley TT

MCMcMuffin

Hi,

My friend has a Marley TT which has stopped working. It's 3 years old and so we investigated and found the plastic had broken off inside the record player.

I was wondering if someone with more experience with this could offer any advice on how to repair it? I have sent an email to Marley to see if they can provide a replacement piece of plastic for the centre piece. Also not exactly sure what the purpose of the little wire metal circle is is it for grounding? I believe it goes on the base of the metal insert in the centrepiece and the original plastic had a lip that held it in contact with the metal for some purpose?

Cheers Al 

1580289488729.jpg

1580292880059.jpg

1580288670489.jpg20200129_201456.thumb.jpg.0c0ba401c58a799f355702d305ffd7a5.jpg

20200129_201522.jpg

20200129_201511.jpg

20200129_205721.jpg

Edited by MCMcMuffin
adding more pics

5 minutes ago, kelossus said:

Have you checked to see if the belt is still attached?

Yes it is. I attached a picture. Its a lot different to the drive setup on my TT. The plastic was rattling around inside from the base of the centrepiece. When i took the back off it looked as though the hoop ring was not being secured anymore to the base of the centrepin. Not sure what that's for. Will try and get a replacement plastic centrepiece from Marley or superglue it if that fails. I am just not familiar with how this setup works.

22 minutes ago, MCMcMuffin said:

Yes it is. I attached a picture. Its a lot different to the drive setup on my TT. The plastic was rattling around inside from the base of the centrepiece. When i took the back off it looked as though the hoop ring was not being secured anymore to the base of the centrepin. Not sure what that's for. Will try and get a replacement plastic centrepiece from Marley or superglue it if that fails. I am just not familiar with how this setup works.

If the pulley on the motor still spins then it's an obvious issue with the bearing assembly. The hoop ring is a ground from the bearing case. Fairly common to reduce hum/noise but it wouldn't prevent the platter from spinning were it not connected. That is the issue right? The platter doesn't spin?

Edited by kelossus

3 minutes ago, kelossus said:

If the spindle on the motor still spins then it's an obvious issue with the bearing assembly. The hoop ring is a ground from the bearing case. Fairly common to reduce hum/noise but it wouldn't prevent the platter from spinning were it not connected. That is the issue right? The platter doesn't spin?

The platter was clunking around. I think it was chugging but not spinning smoothly.

7 minutes ago, MCMcMuffin said:

The platter was clunking around. I think it was chugging but not spinning smoothly.

What does the spindle on the bearing look like? It's not shown in the photos

Edited by kelossus

Looks like the broken part might have been a thrust pad  and oil well for the bearing. I don’t think that the bearing is likely to operate without it. Hopefully it can be replaced without replacing the whole bearing assembly.

Edited by Telecine
  • Like 1

I think the clunking was because the centrepin had receded too far in as the plastic was stopping it from getting pushed down too far. Once the plastic broke it could go down further so the plate was getting caught when it was rotating as it was too low. Now i have worked that out i just need a part or create something to hold it in place and not let it drop in again!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EV Cali said:

Sounds like you have worked it out. Bearing / spindle needs some support.

There is one for sale locally and it looks like the spindle has dropped on this one too, so could be quite common.

1568966320_marleytt.jpg.cf7644ba9fda170f4b0bb6fa34d152e8.jpg

Where did you see that one advertised? Another guy i spoke to mentioned they had issues. If it is a common issue with this TT you would think that for the $450 they're asking they could upgrade that centre plastic to a metal or wood material. I am still hopeful that Marley will supply a replacement. At least earning them some praise. It is an entry level unit but $450 is not cheap.

1 hour ago, EV Cali said:

Sounds like you have worked it out. Bearing / spindle needs some support.

There is one for sale locally and it looks like the spindle has dropped on this one too, so could be quite common.

1568966320_marleytt.jpg.cf7644ba9fda170f4b0bb6fa34d152e8.jpg

I'm trying really hard not to be a snob but the engineering in those does not warrant its price tag at all.. it's a bamboo chopping board with $5 worth of electronics, a basic arm and rollerskate bearings

That said, it looks like the hoop grounds the bearing/platter and the plastic just holds the bearings to keep it all from falling down. It won't have an oil well and probably not a thrust pad either. Maybe a replacement for the whole plastic bearing holder can be made out of wood

9 hours ago, MCMcMuffin said:

Where did you see that one advertised? Another guy i spoke to mentioned they had issues. If it is a common issue with this TT you would think that for the $450 they're asking they could upgrade that centre plastic to a metal or wood material. I am still hopeful that Marley will supply a replacement. At least earning them some praise. It is an entry level unit but $450 is not cheap.

Facebook market place https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/3202146879814193/?ref=feed_rhc