Anyone using Pro speakers

Hello there

Just wondering are there any people here using professional speakers in their home setup. Quite a few including myself have used pro amps for various reasons and uses. Would be interested if any comparisons have been done. It may be a bit of an overkill. When we go to see live bands we are listening to pro speakers and lots of times they are not huge speakers. They always sound good in those situations. We all like big sound but detail is important too. Have read threads about the amps and lots of comments about bang for your bucks as far as watts are concerned. Probably has been covered before I am sure but have not seen any posts come up here in the last twelve months or so. Be interested in any experiences and comments from the wealth of knowledge that exists here.

Cheers

Jon

I don''t accept the dividing line between pro and consumer as far as SQ  goes. Lots of Pro speakers sound great. Many audiophiles don't like them b/c the better ones are highly accurate, and don't color the sound euphonically the way many "consumer" speakers do. It's just a matter of taste. Listen to some, and if you like them, get them. They can often give you better SQ for the dollar than consumer stuff. Of course, the cosmetics are often utilitarian. Those nice cosmetics are a big part of what you pay for in consumer oriented hi-fi. 

• Like 1

I think what you say FD is what I was expecting from my amp experience. They may not have the warm sound of consumer speakers and definitely not the looks. Have been thinking for a while about having a trial listen. The other option is a DIY.

I used my DIY PA speakers in a 2nd system for a while and was very happy with them.

They had to give way to something smaller when I needed the space for other furniture!

When done right, they can be very good.  I used Etone 12" pro woofers in a tuned ported enclosure and vintage Motorola rectangular horns.

The trick to getting the great sound was to implement the horns properly as per the Motorola application notes.

Too many designs that used those piezo horns just took advantage of their high impedance and didn't bother with the extra componentry required to provide the appropriate attenuation and crossover point to match them to the woofer.

I've recently offloaded my big old DIY powered foldbacks and replaced them with a pair of much more compact 12" QSC actives which also sound better than I expected.  They have electronic Xovers and separate amps for the woofer and compression driver which can both aid in producing great results.

• 3 weeks later...

Pro audio monitors are designed to.have a flat frequency response great when balancing mixes to ensure they translate well to the various systems they will be relayed on, catching phase issues and stereo imaging. Most consume speakers are designed to exhibit some form of  character which makes them more (or less) appealing to the masses. 

NS10s are considered one of the best studio monitors back I. Day an awful sounding speaker but it pushed you to work harder on your mix and if it sounded good on NS10s it sounded good on everything

I think there are some great brands like PMC/ ATC / Dynaudio that do a great job of balancing Pro vs consumer also genelec and Rokit have some great peo.monitors that are capable in hifi as well

Using Geithain RL 906 as my nearfield speakers. I love them. As firedog wrote, for the same money you can often get better sound quality with studio speakers because they don't spend the production budget on the looks. 'Better sound quality' as in less coloured, less phase problems etc. I enjoy listeing to music on my Geithains. They are not just a working tool that can't be enjoyed. So yes, if you are looking for speakers I would include studio speakers in your list of the gear to listen to.

• 3 weeks later...

I have 2 x JBL 2226 15" Pro Audio drivers as 2 x subwoofers ( Ultimate Subwoofer , Stig Erik Tangen, sand filled walls , 160kg per box ) . Best subwoofer i have ever heard.

Rattles the crap out of my house , explosions in movies literally make you jump from the impact , love it for music and home theater.