Stacked JVC Zeros

Finally got around to setting these up - alway wanted some JVC Zero 9s but have had to settle with a pair of JVC Zero 4s stacked on top of some JVC Zero 5s - thanks to Jake for storing the 5s for over 5 years for me - sound is pretty amazing ? 

84D53B8B-91F5-4A0A-90EA-32B667EB18F0.jpeg

Edited by andythiing
  • Like 3

Stacking speakers can work well, I’ve done it many times with various speakers over the years NS1000/1200 etc.:thumb:

Not only does it give you better imaging with the d’appolito driver arrangement, but yields more drive, loudness capability and room filling ability. Your amplifier has to be up to the task for a 2-4 ohm load though, if the speakers are parallel connected.

Steve.

• Like 2

Running of speaker a and speaker b out let’s - speakers are 6ohm - Rotel states 8 ohm for speakers a @ b but the Rotel 1312 is pretty solid beast - no signs of strain in driving both sets so far 

Pretty sure when you select Spkr A+B on the amp it parallel connects them in the amp circuit, meaning your two sets of speakers become a 3 ohm load. You should be fine though as the Rotel looks to be well built, but keep up eye out for excessive heat build up on the amp.

I had an amp go kaput on me while parralleling many years ago, expensive lesson as it killed the amp and took out a few expensive speaker drivers!

Cheers steve - will do - I am working on two assumptions - the Rotel is well underrated based on my readings of others experienced and the JVCs don’t actually present that difficult a load - also based on some readings of others experience - but can’t find and real world testing - I’ll also not be playing that loud as I’m in a compromised listening set up so near field at 1.5m 

did find the following specs on the amp 

Power Amplifier Section :
Continuous Power Output :
80 watts per channel, min. RMS both channels driven into 8 ohms or
110 watts per channel, min. RMS both channels driven into 4 ohms
from 20Hz to 20kHz with no more than 0.1% Total Harmonic Distortion
Harmonic Distortion ............:  0.1% at rated power output 20Hz to 20kHz
Intermodulation Distortion ... :  0.05% at 1kHz, rated power output -1dB
Frequency Response ......... :  5Hz - 100kHz, - 1dB at 1 watt per channel
Damping Factor ................. :  70 ± 10%
Input Sensitivity/Impedance  :  1000mV/54kΩ
Speaker Impedance ........... :  4 to 16Ω, A or B ; 8 to 16Ω, A + B

5 hours ago, Steve M said:

Not only does it give you better imaging with the d’appolito driver arrangement, but yields more drive, loudness capability and room filling ability. Your amplifier has to be up to the task for a 2-4 ohm load though, if the speakers are parallel connected.

I love it, some say you shouldn't stack, I have a pair of B&W floor standers with a pair of B&W bookshelves stacked on top, I have a NAD amp and it doesn't even get warm with them working this way.

• Like 1

Well I was sad to have sold the duntechs but simply was not enjoying them in such a compromised listening position - they have gone to a great home as part of a marquis surround system in a massive room - awesome.

so back playing with my collection and wow these stacked JVCs are helping the sellers regret to a large degree. I’ve now moved them down onto some spiked stands in granite blocks - a little lower (still a bit too high) and another 30cm from wall - in sitting 2m from them in the diagonal - have moved them out wider as well to 2.4m on centre - now they are not duntechs but great detail from the ribbon tweeters and mids and the bass is sensational.

added in some sound treatment I had for rear wall and tuned the position of both sets of speakers individually - soundstage is larger and suddenly everything’s really tightened up with great imaging - something I was struggling with being to close to the duntechs ? gotta love when the passion returns 

8FACBC44-6D11-45F6-83E6-C3B3DE0A01C8.jpeg

• Like 1