Noob assistance vol 2 - the amp.

So today I picked up a pair of Focal Chorus 726V floorstanders and now it's time to choose a suitable second hand amp. I'd like to cap the budget at around $500, but could stretch to $600. Will eventually play CDs and digital, no phono. Don't have a CD player or streamer yet so will just plug in RCA from smart TV/cheap Blu Ray player initially. Varied music taste, not really a bass head or classicist. Not looking to upset the neighbours too much with excessive volume. Lounge room is about 5x6m, open one side to the kitchen.

On the back of the speaker it shows a max power of 220w at 8 ohms. Focal spec sheet shows:

Type: 3-way bass reflex floorstanding loudspeaker.
Drivers: Two 6 1/2’’ (165mm) Polyglass woofers; 6 1/2’’ (165mm) Polyglass midrange; 1’’ (25mm) TNV Al/Mg inverted dome tweeter.
Frequency response (+/- 3dB): 49Hz - 28kHz.
Low frequency point (- 6dB): 39Hz
Sensitivity (2.83V/1m): 91.5dB
Nom. impedance: 8 Ohms
Minimum impedance: 2.9 Ohms
Recommended amplifier power: 40 - 250W
Crossover frequency: 300Hz / 3000Hz

I've googled budget amp pairings with these and one that stood out was a favourable mention of an Arcam A19, which supposedly tamed the brightness of the Focals, in comparison to a Rotel RA12 which exacerbated it. I did notice the brightness when the speakers were demo'ed on an older NAD amp (didn't get the model #), but not so much that it put me off. I'd prefer a taming amp!

Now that I have the speakers sitting unused I'm a little impatient to pick up an amp so that I can start enjoying them. Integrated amps that are currently listed in Perth are as follows:

NAD C356 BEE $450
Denon PMA-1315R $500
Arcam Delta 90.2 $350
Onkyo A-9510 $300
Onkyo A-8170 $250

Any opinions on how any of these may potentially pair with the Focals? Or any that should be avoided outright?

From the reviews I've found I like what's been said about the Denon. Tempted to see if I can get the seller to agree to a refundable purchase if I get it home and don't love it.

Thanks in advance for any input.

agree with you Ian, the Denon reviews put it well before the arcam, i have been told to steer clear of any NAD bee model, would not consider the onkyo in the same league. there is a strong following for focal speakers on SNA, hopefully someone else with experience might add their thoughts, you might need to save a bit more and get a much better amp to do the speakers justice, good luck

there is a Creek Destiny 2 amp for sale in classifieds in Perth for 1400, i had the original version, stunning amp, would be worth streeeetching the budget, this amp is way above any you mentioned and would keep upgraditis at bay for many many years

Edited by wen
  • Thanks 1

Something that jumped out at me in those speakers specs was the minimum impedance: 2.9 Ohms. In fact the speakers were measured in an independent review.

"A minimum impedance of 2.9 ohms is specified, but we measured a dip to 2.7 ohms at 114Hz, neither figure being consistent with the claimed 8 ohms nominal. Impedance phase angles are also large at low frequency, reducing the minimum EPDR to an amp-challenging 1.1 ohms at 74Hz. That is pretty low and might require a high current amp."

They are fairly sensitive speakers so the wattage doesn't need to be too high though. Just look for a high current amp.

• Thanks 1

1.1 ohm load seems hard to believe that Focal would make a generally good mass market speaker for such a difficult load with very few mid fi priced amps to match with it, in practice it may not be that bad. 

The Arcam is quite old mid 80s amp and more likely to need servicing sooner than later. The Denon seems  the chunkiest built and powered 115w into 8 ohm among them followed by the NAD, which might translate on paper into something but it may be a bad sound match also. Best to try them out.

If you are Ok with old amps you could wait for a Yamaha PA2200 or 2100 for around $300-600, they are not true integrated amps and have only one input though with built in volume controls and a preamp can be added later but work in the interim. These are heavy duty 20kg PA amps good for hifi, 200w 2 ohm load and about three times the build of something like a 6kg Arcam. 

An old NAD 3020 amp do as well and Gumtree interstate may have them, I have a 3120 version if you like to PM me.

The capacitors in such old amps will likely need servicing and sound dull or smooth but may be ok with a bright sounding speaker.

Otherwise popular options around Gumtree interstate to consider can be Audiolab 8000A, Pioneer A400, Mission Cyrus, various Musical Fidelity and larger Rotel etc. If lucky and at a stretch might be possible to put together a cheap tube or non tube preamp with high power Rotel power or similar that would beat most intergrated options.

Edit: also keep eye out for others like newish Yamaha As700 etc.

Edited by Al.M
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Haven't had any luck finding current specifications online, are these normally quoted? For the Denon, what I could find was:

Power output: 115 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo)

Frequency response: 20Hz to 20kHz

Total harmonic distortion: 0.004%

Input sensitivity: 0.2mV (MC), 2.5mV (MM), 150mV (line)

Signal to noise ratio: 76dB (MC), 84dB (MM), 110dB (line)

Dimensions: 434 x 160 x 424mm

Weight: 14.5kg

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/denon/pma-1315r.shtml

"This is a true high current, low distortion, clean amplifier that does not colour the sound in any way."

http://www.audioreview.com/product/amplification/integrated-amplifiers/denon/pma-1315r.html

"For sale Denon PMA 1315R 115 watt per channel high current integrated amp with Denon system remote control."

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/123121/denon-pma-1315r-integrated-amp-w-remote-115-w-ch-w-phono

Of the available amps, seems this might be the best fit. Proof will be in the pairing I suppose! Will pursue this further for now.

Thanks for the additional amps to consider, very useful and will add these to my list!

1 hour ago, Ian_61 said:

my list

There is a Musical Fidelity A3 for $800 in Perth Gumtree for 10 weeks, which you should seriously consider offering $700. It is likely to have way better sound than the others because it is an audiophile grade product and heavily built.

• Like 1

I've had a little experience with a 90.2, so it doesn't surprise me that the A19 worked with the 726V, despite its modest 50W/channel.

From the Hifi Choice review of the 90.2 (Sept, 1989)

"The amplifier section of the 90.2 will drive any real loudspeaker load, for great care has been taken to ensure that power output and current delivery are maintained into low impedance and reactive loads.  The amplifier's high current capability is made possible by the use of superior ML15003/4 complementary power transistors fed from high value low ESR reservoir capacitors and a massive toroidal mains transformer"

I used a 90.2 to drive some Jamo Concert VII speakers, a reasonably difficult load.  It never sounded strained and had a rich midrange and sweet treble that a Rotel RB-1080 (200W/channel), and RC-972 I also had at the time couldn't match.

Given you're not a bass head nor interested in excessive volume, I wouldn't discount some of the lower power options.

• Thanks 1