vwo60

Benz Micro cartridge reliability.

Hi Everybody,

I am interested to hear from anybody has had issues with Benz cartridges dropping out one channel, I have a SLR I purchased in Germany, After about 18 months it dropped a channel, I sent it to Sound Smith in the USA and he repaired it and said it had dropped a wire of the back side of the terminal at the rear of the cartridge, I acquired a new a second one to replace the first one, and after about the same period it dropped a channel, I then ran the Sound Smith repaired cartridge and sent the Australian acquired SLR which lasted about 2 years to Benz were they rebuilt the cartridge and would not tell me about the channel dropping out.

The Sound Smith repaired SLR lasted about another 18 months until it dropped another channel but understood that this repair which cost 200 dollars was a temporary repair,  , I installed the overhaul SLR that Benz had repaired and had been in storage for about 2 years in an air tight container  filled with desiccant, Well this one lasted about 12 months before dropping another channel, I have Sound Smith retiped Glider that I have installed and is up and running, the glider is nearly 10 years old,

I run an Icon Audio PS3 as a phono pre amp,  what do you think and has anybody had issues with the higher end Benz cartridges or the PS3 as now I have 2 SLR's with one channel out. The man at Sound Smith said the wire soldered to the terminal appeared to have corrosion present, like the Flux had caused the issue. Do you think the high temperature and humidity is an issue. All of these problems have occurred outside the warranty period.

Summary of circus.

1/ Purchased SLR from Germany, lasts 18 months before one channel drops.

2/Acquired a new Australian delivered SLR and install in turntable.

3/ Send German purchased SLR to Sound Smith and repairs, corroded wire on output pin.

4/Australian SLR drops one channel after 2 years of use.

5/ install Sound Smith repaired SLR in turntable

6/ Send SLR to Benz for repair, no explanation provided why cartridge dropped one channel.

7/Sound Smith repaired SLR drops one channel after about 18 months of use.

8/ Install overhaul SLR from Benz in turntable after being in storage for two years in an air           

tight container full of desiccant

9/Australian SLR drops one channel after 12 months of use.

10/ Remove Australian SLR and Install Sound Smith over hauled Glider.

I am very sorry for the length of the post but I have tried to give a time frame for these failures,

Thanks for that.I am trying to establish there reliability before i spend any more money on them.

Happened to our audiophile group around 3 years ago . Purchased a Benz Micro ACE SL  from our local dealer here in the Philippines and after few months I lost the left channel , it was replcced under warranty.. The other one an old Benz Micro ACE M . Not an SL Model was been used  for a couple of years , also lost one channel cant recall which . Cannot claim warranty. . My friend just replaced it w/ an AT OC9 MK 2 . Ive been using my GULLWING SLR w/c I bought from the local dealer and no problem whatsoever

9 hours ago, 930turbo said:

Happened to our audiophile group around 3 years ago . Purchased a Benz Micro ACE SL  from our local dealer here in the Philippines and after few months I lost the left channel , it was replcced under warranty.. The other one an old Benz Micro ACE M . Not an SL Model was been used  for a couple of years , also lost one channel cant recall which . Cannot claim warranty. . My friend just replaced it w/ an AT OC9 MK 2 . Ive been using my GULLWING SLR w/c I bought from the local dealer and no problem whatsoever

Thanks for that, this is the third time over 8 years with 2 SLR's I will send them to sound Smith or the above person before I will use Benz again as they refused to tell me why it failed last time, the one repaired by Sound Smith lasted 18 Months but only cost $200 to repair, he said it appeared to be corrosion.

I had a channel drop on a Glider SL after about 2 years, was told it was irreparable so I traded it on a Wood SL. That was over 3 years ago now and fingers crossed!

Hi @vwo60

I've had a Glider for 7-8 years, probably 600+ hours and no problem.

JJ

1 hour ago, Janjuc said:

Hi @vwo60

I've had a Glider for 7-8 years, probably 600+ hours and no problem.

JJ

My current glider is older than your's and all it had was a retip at Sound smith, I think the wires in the SLR are a lot thinner.

I've been using a Benz Micro LP & LPS for the last 9 years and I've never had any issues.