KRSDarwin

Help sought for sub-weight on Acos-Lustre GST Soundtracer Tonearm

Hi all, I recently acquired a fantastic Technics DD SL-1100AC turntable with Acos-Lustre GST Soundtracer arm in an excellent SNA transaction.  I would like to install a Jelco HS-30 headshell on my Acos-Lustre GST Soundtracer tonearm.  However at 16.7 grams the Jelco is too  heavy for the standard weight (I strongly suspected this when acquiring the TT so have my Garrott K1 installed in the existing headshell and works beautifully).  However, I believe the Acos-Lustre does have the option of a sub-weight (photos attached) and I am looking to acquire one. 

I have read the Rega RB-200 sub-weight will also work but am unsure if this is correct.

The photos below with part of the tonearm and yellow vinyl is my setup and the whole of TT picture. 

Any assistance or ideas most appreciated. I have posted in WTB but thought it worth sharing here, on the basis that a problem shared is a problem halved and other options and ideas may be advanced.

Thanks

B97F5887-F392-4622-A552-62E74CC857DC.png

63E61187-3911-4C8F-86E5-81263D02A3BE.jpeg

A5639B65-B18D-4538-A97F-6D1319145668.jpeg

8227D240-D40A-4779-84B8-5064D2CE7814.png

ECFCF167-661D-4439-97BB-D2AC8A013BBF.png

AB43C191-BF9C-4555-85B2-649B3445FB93.jpeg

Just bought a Jelco HS-30, which is perfect for my setups as most work well replacing the existing 16.8 gm Ortofon headshell I have.

On the arms that needed more weight, I've successfully used blutak on the counterweight. Not very elegant looking but quite successful sonically!

Edited by Citroen

I like the Acos-Lustre GST Soundtracer tonearm and have one fitted to my Rega Planner 2.

It did come with the sub weight but I would not want to separate it ,in case I need it in the future. And I would imagine you will struggle to  obtain the two parts of the sub weight , with out purchasing the entire arm.

But to add extra weight you could get some washers from Bunning's  with a 12 mm hole. Add as many as required glue them together with supper glue and then fix them to the end of the original weight with Blue tac. This is then easily reversible. 

2 hours ago, EV Cali said:

But to add extra weight you could get some washers from Bunning's  with a 12 mm hole. Add as many as required glue them together with supper glue and then fix them to the end of the original weight with Blue tac. This is then easily reversible. 

Thanks EV Cali, I’ve purchased some bolts and washers From Bunnings but am yet to try that out as ideally I would like to preserve the aesthetics of the tonearm given the effort on the headshell.

Totally understand not wanting to separate sub-weights from operational units and the difficulty I may have in locatingthem alone. I am aiming for tonearm not functioning or left-overs from a tonearm disposed of with a TT.

I will post a pic if I go with the washer/bolt solution.  

Thanks Telecine.  I believe it may be heavy enough but the diameter of the inner sleeve is not great enough.  

I guess that does mean I could seek out a metal fabrication workshop to prepare one on a lathe from a billet of suitably heavy material. 

Ok, so I have my first solution.  A little agricultural I admit, but it works.  Will now look for a shorter bolt.  

4E0AE500-A0C5-40DD-A0DE-D0BBB76E74EA.jpeg

F1B067CE-5868-406B-829F-5A7C802D7672.jpeg

CD214AFA-E6C6-4458-9F17-92FABF7CB6F6.jpeg

Best sonics will be obtained by having as much weight close to the pivot as possible, so yes, a shorter bolt!

Good that you've managed to at least improvise something. 

I needed an extension rod to mount an arm rest in a plinth, was able to get a Honda gearshift extension rod to do the trick.  Amazing how research and persistence can provide elegant improvised solutions. 

Regarding the washer solution, you may be able to find a plastic container that has the same inner diameter as the washer's outer diameter, so you can make a nice covering for them.  Some black (or maybe silver chrome) spray paint will make it look good on the arm.  It only has to look good when viewed from the front, as you won't be looking at it from behind unless you are moving the TT.

Good luck.