SOLD: FS: Acoustat Electrostatic Speakers - Faulty

Item: Acoustat Z22A Hybrid Electrostatic Speakers - With Issues 
Price: $150
Item Condition: Faulty - see description. Cosmetically good. 
Reason for selling: Taking up space
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash
Extra Info:

I don’t know if these are repairable and I’m happy to be advised re: same. If they’re completely gone, I’ll withdraw the ad. 

Here’s the story. I enjoyed these for a few months after buying them on here. They had the typical ESL qualities; slightly dark tonality, delicacy and detail. After a while I noticed a channel imbalance creeping in, which slowly got worse. One speaker was definitely louder than the other. I used jRiver’s balance control to correct this (not ideal but all I had). Then they began to sound rather dull. Again, this worsened over time to the point they weren’t really listenable anymore. I replaced them and they were mothballed to the spare room. 

They’re now just taking up space and I need them outta here. 

Cosmetically they’re pretty good; a few marks on the bases but the grilles and panels are fine. 

I have the power supplies for these. 

Definitely pick up only; I have no way of transporting them. 

Again, anyone with more knowledge than me please feel free to pipe up and advise. They’re either fixable or landfill.

Cheers Dave. 

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

DDE9C11B-3913-4E9A-846E-D121D2C07085.jpeg

42C7535A-18D8-4393-B992-67B22716A4B1.jpeg

7E4DB5DC-36CC-4C74-8622-289BD3296CF3.jpeg

935ACCE6-6050-42BB-96FF-DC56CCE0F1E2.jpeg

• Like 1

Just a thought, try a gentle vacuum of the panel. Sounds like the efficiency had fallen and dust, moisture and insects are a known issue on electrostatic panels. Power supplies being only 12v could also have gone and would be easy to replace. You could even swap the two power supplies and see if the problem moves with the power supply..

• Like 2

I would hope that these are repairable, they are too good to go to landfill.

Good luck with the troubleshooting/sale.

• Like 1

Whether they are repairable or not, they are sold as it with full disclosure.. 

$150 is more than reasonable to ask and someone might have some fun with them 

GLWTS 

Edited by Hytram
  • Like 2

Probably a fault in the high voltage power supply, but obviously without being there to diagnose the fault one can’t be certain. More than likely repairable though, which I could do if I was closer

glwts

• Like 1

Hi everyone and thanks for the suggestions. They’ve been sold to a member who is able to repair them. I too am glad they’re not history. 

Cheers Dave 

• Like 3