Watched Gemini Man on my Epson 9400 a few nights ago! Wow what a trippy picture!

Its easily the best image i've seen with my projector, but the 60fps is hard to get use to. Still not 100% sure i like it. I found the fast actions scenes to be particularly hard to watch. For whatever reason it appeared the that action was sped up, i dont think it was, but it had a fake quality to it. 

Need to see a few more 60fps films first i think. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks @betty boop, @cwt and @Lil Caesar. The issue lies with the Panasonic 55GZ1000 TV and probably lies with many others. It can currently only accept a 4K signal at 4:2:0 and 8 bit colour when its 60fps. The problem is that Dolby Vision won't work with 8 bit colour. I can switch Dolby Vision off on the UB9000 and the 55GZ1000 will play it 4K, 60fps, 4:2:0, 8 bit colour. After having watched in both HDR 4K and Dolby Vision FHD, I have to strangely admit I prefer the later in 12 bit colour.

@cwt, all the 2019 Panasonic OLEDs are equipped with HDMI 2.1, but the only HDMI 2.1 feature the current firmware supports is ALLM (Auto Low-Latency Mode). With their withdrawal from the TV market, I'm not holding my breath for any firmware/software updates.

Thanks to everyone who tried to assist.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Happy Sacks said:

Thanks @betty boop, @cwt and @Lil Caesar. The issue lies with the Panasonic 55GZ1000 TV and probably lies with many others. It can currently only accept a 4K signal at 4:2:0 and 8 bit colour when its 60fps. The problem is that Dolby Vision won't work with 8 bit colour. I can switch Dolby Vision off on the UB9000 and the 55GZ1000 will play it 4K, 60fps, 4:2:0, 8 bit colour. After having watched in both HDR 4K and Dolby Vision FHD, I have to strangely admit I prefer the later in 12 bit colour.

glad got to bottom of things even if just know what problem is ! bit crazy really a GZ current gen latest tech thing only accepts 8bit 4:2:0 for 60fps ...but anyways  grrr...

34 minutes ago, Happy Sacks said:

all the 2019 Panasonic OLEDs are equipped with HDMI 2.1, but the only HDMI 2.1 feature the current firmware supports is ALLM (Auto Low-Latency Mode). With their withdrawal from the TV market, I'm not holding my breath for any firmware/software updates.

indeed this is the watch out for hdmi 2.1.... its just a feature set and just because something is quoted wiht hdmi 2.1 doesnt mean it supports the whole feature set. so indeed not worth holding breath ! 

• Like 2

On 28/01/2020 at 9:58 PM, betty boop said:

not sure on your specific settings as you are using dolby vision, but mine is set as per below to force 4k 50/60 output (which is necessary on the panasonic otherwise it sends at 4k24p...which is what want for most things as dont really want it upsampling everything to 4k 50/60,) just have to select to force for stuff like this.

My Pana UB900 automatically selected 4K/60 for this movie. I've only watched the opening scene so far, as just wanted to check my set up would show it properly. I'll need to watch the whole thing before commenting on 60fps aspect, certainly 1 scene just looks weird and fake.

3 minutes ago, blybo said:

My Pana UB900 automatically selected 4K/60 for this movie. I've only watched the opening scene so far, as just wanted to check my set up would show it properly. I'll need to watch the whole thing before commenting on 60fps aspect, certainly 1 scene just looks weird and fake.

If pana auto selected, it’s been setup to do so. But will also mean it is likely also upping everything else to 50/60 as well which is not good ... a bit of a watch out. Have to switch 50/60 m  as manually if don’t not want that happening 

3 minutes ago, betty boop said:

If pana auto selected, it’s been setup to do so. But will also mean it is likely also upping everything else to 50/60 as well which is not good ... a bit of a watch out. Have to switch 50/60 m  as manually if don’t not want that happening 

I'll whack another "standard" UHD in and see what's what. Maybe a different menu system in the little brother to your player.

• Like 1

Just now, blybo said:

I'll whack another "standard" UHD in and see what's what. Maybe a different menu system in the little brother to your player.

Nope menu was exactly same I remember when had the 900 and ran billy Lynn

On 28/01/2020 at 9:58 PM, betty boop said:

not sure on your specific settings as you are using dolby vision, but mine is set as per below to force 4k 50/60 output (which is necessary on the panasonic otherwise it sends at 4k24p...which is what want for most things as dont really want it upsampling everything to 4k 50/60,) just have to select to force for stuff like this.

0I9A8049.jpeg

The Panasonic UB9000 is a surprisingly smart machine and it automatically tests and adjusts its output based upon what your display/projector can accept irrespective of what options you've selected. Trust me, I've done plenty of testing over the last couple of weeks. See below. 

Gemini6.jpg.77e1d08a7614275095a28df64ad95378.jpg

30 minutes ago, blybo said:

Are you watching it in Dolby Vision or HDR10??? The issue is not about getting it to play at 4K, HDR10 @60fps, but getting it play 4K, Dolby Vision, 60fps.

26 minutes ago, betty boop said:

Note the picture I left in the first @betty boop quote above. If you selected "Automatic" for the 24P Output option and the UB9000 detects a disc recorded at 24fps then it will play the disc at 24fps irrespective of any settings you've made regarding 50/60fps. Like I said, it's a pretty smart machine. If the UB900 has the same menu and runs similar/same firmware then it "probably" operates the same way. Would need to read the manual to confirm though.

12 minutes ago, Happy Sacks said:

Note the picture I left in the first @betty boop quote above. If you selected "Automatic" for the 24P Output option and the UB9000 detects a disc recorded at 24fps then it will play the disc at 24fps irrespective of any settings you've made regarding 50/60fps. Like I said, it's a pretty smart machine. If the UB900 has the same menu and runs similar/same firmware then it "probably" operates the same way. Would need to read the manual to confirm though.

hi hs,

the grey box in the screen shot I posted explains it. 
https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/300572-gemini-man/?do=findComment&comment=4453196

I would be very careful relying on automatic. And unless turn 4k 50/60 on ie selecting one of formate 4:4:4 or 4:2:0 it won’t display ie if you leave that off :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Happy Sacks said:

Are you watching it in Dolby Vision or HDR10??? The issue is not about getting it to play at 4K, HDR10 @60fps, but getting it play 4K, Dolby Vision, 60fps.

That's the wrinkle HS as to picture quality ; Blybo and I have the 900 which doesn't do dolby vision so its- at the best -judging the whole disc metadata max cll max fall with HDR10 rather than the scene by scene possible with dolby vision . Or indeed Al is watching with the similar DTM in his JVC N7 :)

Edited by cwt
  • Like 1

On 19/02/2020 at 6:30 PM, betty boop said:

hi hs,

the grey box in the screen shot I posted explains it. 
https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/300572-gemini-man/?do=findComment&comment=4453196

I would be very careful relying on automatic. And unless turn 4k 50/60 on ie selecting one of formate 4:4:4 or 4:2:0 it won’t display ie if you leave that off :)

Huh??? You're referring to the opposite here to what you were earlier. As I said, if you have a 4K 24fps video inserted and you've selected Auto for 24p Output, then it will not output that video at 50 or 60fps irrespective of what you've selected for 4K (50/60p). Trust me, I've tried and I doubt that there's anyone who's buggerised around with any number of combinations of settings over the past few weeks than me.

menu.jpg.db02942aae1095d6544c44e2c2165c4c.jpg

Now if I turn the setting off as per your photo above the UB9000 will still provide you with a picture it will just be HDR10 1080p or Dolby Vision 1080p rather than 4K. However the assumption that the UB9000 will not output a picture if you have this setting switched off and insert the UHD 4K disc is incorrect as can be seen below

Gemini.jpg.9e87bf4e021306986f2c8e374d0c6cfe.jpg

Gemini8.jpg.31ed355d4bee0b3fd571968f1088b032.jpg

Note the Dolby Vision and HDR notifications on the screen. Like I said the UB9000 is reasonably smart machine.

Edited by Happy Sacks

hi HS perhaps some confusion as unlike yourself we are not running Dolby vision, just HDR10. I am saying 100% that if you select  off...as it says in the grey box it will not select 4k 50/60 which makes sense. I cannot at all make any comment with regards dolby vision as not running any display for it :) as to permutations and combinations it will likely relate to your particular display and player combination and what is best suited for it :) 

my point with regards automatic is just be Carefull with it. as to what it actually does selects... as automatic is jsut that an automatic choice :) good luck with things one ways or another. 

• Like 1