Sign in to follow this  
rantan

Ideas for a phono stage under $1200

I am looking to buy a really nice phono stage so I can use both my amps with my speakers.

The phono stage in my Luxman is superb, but I have another amp that has no phono stage and as I tend to vary which amp I use on a periodical basis I need some suggestions.

As good as it certainly is , I want something better than a Vincent PHO and the usual suspects of Rega and Pro-Ject. I once had a Musical Surroundings Phonomena which I did not care for, so any other suggestions would be great.

The cart is a Dynavector DC 20 X2 on a Pioneer PL 50.

Thanks people.

Valab will fit perfectly, you might also want to customise the loading if you end up getting one.

I used to have a dyna 20x2 with the valab, it sings very well.

54 minutes ago, rantan said:

I am looking to buy a really nice phono stage so I can use both my amps with my speakers.

The phono stage in my Luxman is superb, but I have another amp that has no phono stage and as I tend to vary which amp I use on a periodical basis I need some suggestions.

The cart is a Dynavector DC 20 X2 on a Pioneer PL 50.

Is yours the 'H' version of the DV 20 X2  (2.8mV output) ... or the 'L' version (0.3mV output), R?

If the former and you're willing to wait a couple of months for me to build it for you ... I can offer my base-model Muse MM for about your budget.  Those who've bought a Muse love its sound - and the advantage a Muse MM has ... is infinite options for 'C' and 'R' loading values.

Not sure whereabouts you're located but you might also like to consider the PS Audio GCPH which seems like a bargain!  :thumb:

With both the Muse and the PS Audio, though, there's the issue of whether you will like the sound ... or not (given your negative experience with the Phenomena).  If you're in Melbourne, I could drop a Muse over for you to audition - otherwise, there would be postal charges to cover, for an audition.

Andy

5 minutes ago, andyr said:

Is yours the 'H' version of the DV 20 X2  (2.8mV output) ... or the 'L' version (0.3mV output), R?

If the former and you're willing to wait a couple of months for me to build it for you ... I can offer my base-model Muse MM for about your budget.  Those who've bought a Muse love its sound - and the advantage a Muse MM has ... is infinite options for 'C' and 'R' loading values.

Not sure whereabouts you're located but you might also like to consider the PS Audio GCPH which seems like a bargain!  :thumb:

With both the Muse and the PS Audio, though, there's the issue of whether you will like the sound ... or not (given your negative experience with the Phenomena).  If you're in Melbourne, I could drop a Muse over for you to audition - otherwise, there would be postal charges to cover, for an audition.

Andy

Thanks Andy, that is very kind. I really appreciate it. Trouble is that I am in Adelaide so an audition won't be easy but I am still interested so since I am in no hurry at all, I could certainly wait -a-while. My Dynavector cart is the (H) version so that should suit your 'stage very well.

I will give this due consideration and let you now if I wish to proceed and if so, I am happy to pay a deposit or whatever suits you.

Cheers.

Edited by rantan

Rantan, you could try the Graham Slee loaner Program that is offered, I'm sure there would be something in your price range.

I have the Valab LCR III as well and I vouch for it. My last long term cartridge was a DV20x2H so I know how well the 2 fit together. I think the L version would be even better as there's lots of adj for low output MCs.

Another one to consider would be the Gold Note PH 10. It stretches your budget new but if you look around you might pick one up second hand.

I haven't heard it personally but it gets glowing reviews from owners. Andy's would be worth trying as well. All you have to lose is a little postage.

Edited by shawnwes

Also consider the Parks Audio Puffin. A DSP based phone much like the DSP based phono that PS Audio sells. Costs about $750-850 landed from Amazon depending on wether you require the optional digital out.

Also available with a COAX digital out. Comes with tons of options and even volume control if you want to bypass a preamp or internal volume control. 

I rate it but it's the only good phono preamp I've owned.

Edited by Mungbean66
Updated cost