NAD c375 Bee won’t turn on

Hi, i have read elsewhere that the c375 has inherent problems with switching on (maybe a protection mode issue_). In essence when i try to hit the on to get it out of standby mode i get a click and flash of the lights and back off it goes. I have read also that it tends to sit at service dealers for long periods of time with this issue. Does anyone have any success stories or is it destined for the next kerbside collection?

1 hour ago, untca said:

Hi, i have read elsewhere that the c375 has inherent problems with switching on (maybe a protection mode issue_). In essence when i try to hit the on to get it out of standby mode i get a click and flash of the lights and back off it goes. I have read also that it tends to sit at service dealers for long periods of time with this issue. Does anyone have any success stories or is it destined for the next kerbside collection?

Yes, I suffered the exact same experience as outlined in you post. The guys at the authorised NAD repair agent swore black and blue that they couldn't reproduce the fault - maybe they were telling the truth. The dealer came to my house to test my speakers and speaker cables but found nothing that would cause what was happening.

Of course the fault didn't occur when the dealer was at my place but I had taken videos on my phone as proof.  In the end they took back the NAD and provided a new Yamaha A-S1100 at no cost - I am very happy with the outcome. As a long time NAD fan it was hard to let go but the Yamaha really is an awesome amp in all respects.

Edited by PeteD

1 minute ago, PeteD said:

Yes, I suffered the exact same experience as outlined in you post. The guys at the authorised NAD repair agent swore black and blue that they couldn't reproduce the fault - maybe they were telling the truth. The dealer came to my house to test my speakers and speaker cables but found nothing that would cause what was happening.

Of course the fault didn't occur when the dealer was at my place but I had taken videos on my phone as proof.  In the end they took back the NAD and provided a new Yamaha A-S1100 at no cost - I am very happy with the outcome. As a long time NAD fan it was hard to let go but the the Yamaha really is an awesome amp in all respects.

Thanks PeteD, the Yamaha will be on my list of potential replacements if it can’t be fixed. I figure it will go nicely with the Yamaha streaming pre amp I’m using anyhow. May lack the grunt of the NAD though ?  My issue is not intermittent, just not turning on at all. 

17 minutes ago, untca said:

Thanks PeteD, the Yamaha will be on my list of potential replacements if it can’t be fixed. I figure it will go nicely with the Yamaha streaming pre amp I’m using anyhow. May lack the grunt of the NAD though ?  My issue is not intermittent, just not turning on at all. 

Is your amp still under warranty? If so then they should replace it with a new one or replace the faulty part which probably means a new mother-board.

As for Yamaha A-S1100 - it's got heaps of grunt. It is essentially the same amp as its big brother A-S3000 but without the XLR outputs.

Edited by PeteD

6 hours ago, untca said:

Does anyone have any success stories or is it destined for the next kerbside collection?

You have a "hard" fault rather than an intermittent issue that would be a PITA to track down. Dou you have any DIY skills? Otherwise a technician will be required or sell it on the bay and cut your losses.

The amp is in protection. Normal variants are over voltage, over current and thermal. Over voltage on the speaker line would normally result in the protection relay not being activated. The immediate shutdown suggests you have a short/over current issue. Problem may be in the protect circuit which is reporting a false short. First step would be to diode test the output transistors.

Google will explain how.

• Like 2

I have a NAD C375 BEE amp (about 5 years old) and I've never experienced any trouble with it at all. For some years it was driving a pair of Quad ESL 57s (electrostatics), these speakers can be difficult to drive, but not an issue for the C 375. There should be some techs here (on StereoNet) who could fix your problem. Doesn't sound terminal.

Edited by Mantra1

On 25/01/2020 at 3:19 PM, Mantra1 said:

I have a NAD C375 BEE amp (about 5 years old) and I've never experienced any trouble with it at all. For some years it was driving a pair of Quad ESL 57s (electrostatics), these speakers can be difficult to drive, but not an issue for the C 375. There should be some techs here (on StereoNet) who could fix your problem. Doesn't sound terminal.

I’m hopeful it can be fixed, as you suggest it is a cracker of an amp and would love to get it fixed