Sign in to follow this  
Hawk66

Upgrading turntable- up to $2000

I’m keen to get some views on what would be a worthwhile upgrade from an AT LP120 turntable with an upgraded Hyper Elliptical stylus. I’m keen on staying with MM cartridges and looking to spend up to $2k. Amp and speakers are high quality but I am unsure if the extra spend would make a demonstrable difference. Keen on some views and suggestions on TT’s that would be worth considering.

My vote would be a Technics SP10, just make sure it works properly. There is 1 on eBay from a guy in Sydney for $1500 and you'll need a tonearm there is an AT1503 for under $500 and you'll have an extremely good rig. My SP10 with a linear tonearm I made for under $100 and a Stanton 881s smokes my old Rega RP8 Apheta 2 combo.

I am not one to have a lot of TT's and all bought new except the SP10. I've had an LP12 with Ittok/Troika and RP8 Apheta 2 and the SP10 is better than both of them, which is saying something for an old tech that was biased against direct drive TT's. The SP10 will be my last TT, it'll go to the grave with me.

The new Technics SL1500C has an rrp of $1995.

Comes with an ortofon 2M red pre mounted , should be a significant upgrade over your Audio Technica LP120.

Guest Muon N'

Would be better if it came without the built in phono stage and a 2M Bronze instead of the Red.

44 minutes ago, Muon N' said:

Would be better if it came without the built in phono stage and a 2M Bronze instead of the Red.

The inbuilt phono stage can be turned off and the turntable has two pairs of rca  outputs , line out and phono out.

Yes a free 2M bronze would be better than a free 2M red , best not to look a gift horse in the mouth.

Guest Muon N'
1 hour ago, MarkT said:

The inbuilt phono stage can be turned off and the turntable has two pairs of rca  outputs , line out and phono out.

Yes a free 2M bronze would be better than a free 2M red , best not to look a gift horse in the mouth.

I just figured that anyone buying a table at this price would not be looking for one inbuilt, unless It's exceptional.

But yeah, can be bypassed.

5 hours ago, Muon N' said:

I just figured that anyone buying a table at this price would not be looking for one inbuilt, unless It's exceptional.

But yeah, can be bypassed.

I agree, It would give me the **it's if I knew I was paying for something I'd never use.

On 24/01/2020 at 10:39 PM, Hawk66 said:

Amp and speakers are high quality but I am unsure if the extra spend would make a demonstrable difference. 

Huh!!...

Your amp and speakers are only going to reproduce whats fed to them...period....

Assuming your amp has a decent phono stage  and if you want to stay with a DD TT I would recommend this..

IMG_1042.thumb.jpg.f64b496d555e0e4ed0421422329fbd80.jpg

Pioneer PLX 1000..

Ortofon 2M Black....( Bronze if you want to save a little ...

Ortofon Headshell.

Collaro Mat..

Don't skimp on the Mat....makes a real palpable improvement in SQ......ditch the stock felt one...

The PLX 1000 and 2M bronze/Black pop up in the classifieds from time to time so keep your eyes out..

have fun and good luck

Tase

Thanks for the comments!! I am leaning to the Technics SL1210 mk7 for $1600 at storedj. Any comments would be welcome??  
PS: I’m surprised that no one mentioned Rega, or Project or Clearaudio..

1 hour ago, Hawk66 said:

Thanks for the comments!! I am leaning to the Technics SL1210 mk7 for $1600 at storedj. Any comments would be welcome??  
PS: I’m surprised that no one mentioned Rega, or Project or Clearaudio..

Technics say the sl1210 mk7 and 1500C sound pretty much the same.

Both made in Malaysia , the higher end GR , G and 1000R are made in Japan. 

If you don't need the Ortofon 2M red or inbuilt phono stage of the 1500C the 1210mk7 is a cheaper option with the same quality of sound.

That’s exactly the logic so far.. I would prefer a Japanese built unit but I’m yet to hear of anyone saying the Malaysian built versions are inferior. I can use the extra cash on upgrading the stylus if needed. 

The 1210MK7 and 1500C are a few Kilograms lighter than the GR and over 10KG lighter than the G.

Build quality is lower with more plastic used on the buttons and pop up light etc.

They also have a lower quality motor , tonearm and feet plus a few other cost cutting things.

I think  the GR is the sweet spot if you can stretch to it.

4 minutes ago, MarkT said:

The 1210MK7 and 1500C are a few Kilograms lighter than the GR and over 10KG lighter than the G.

Build quality is lower with more plastic used on the buttons and pop up light etc.

They also have a lower quality motor , tonearm and feet plus a few other cost cutting things.

I think  the GR is the sweet spot if you can stretch to it.

Absolutely agree with this. I've checked out the Mk7 (just to compare to my M5G's) and i thought the 7's looked and felt rather cheap. 

I helped a mate's wife buy his first TT for Xmas. Ended up grabbing a GR from StoreDJ, if you can stretch it the GR is a lot nicer than the Mk7.