Ortofon Unknown cartridge

Thank you Aussie Vintage realy appreiate your help. However, I'm still confused. The headshell is certainly a Type A, but the cartridge has what I'd call a stylus protector that reminds me of an SL15. But when I look at the body, it's huge. Larger than any SPU or SL15.

heers

Pete

49 minutes ago, Famo said:

Thank you Aussie Vintage realy appreiate your help. However, I'm still confused. The headshell is certainly a Type A, but the cartridge has what I'd call a stylus protector that reminds me of an SL15. But when I look at the body, it's huge. Larger than any SPU or SL15.

heers

Pete

Yes it does look a little different to pictures I have found.  Unfortunately I am not an expert on Ortofon.  I am sure someone will chime in here.  Good luck anyway.

Prior to the introduction of the SPU,  Fonofilm  Industri A/S produced a stereo  moving coil pickup designated the SC.  Two C type armatures were connected mechanically  via  a gimbal style yoke to the cantilever. The first version of this  model used metal parts  to provide the coupling and this  was  changed to the  hinged plastic version shown in Famo's picture  which  is the second  version of this early cartridge.

• Like 2

In North America the Ortofon pickup cartridges, or rather the uncased  'movements' , were distributed by Electro Sonic Laboratories who assembled them into their own shell designs. There is an article discussing the earliest form of  this ( Ortofon) stereo  pickup available via,     https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Audio/50s/Audio-1958-Oct.pdf