Hissing noise

Hi guys,

I have a Rega fono mc with a rega planar 6 with the ania cartridge connected to a Yamaha RX-A2080 receiver with a pair of unknown brand rca's that cost about $70 from memory.

Before you even turn on the turntable power supply, there is a hiss coming from the fono mc - it's the sort of hiss you can hear if you turn the volume up fairly loud, but not when music is playing as the music overrides it.

Regardless, I wouldn't mind getting rid of it if I can. I also have a Tube Box DS phono amp from another system that I plugged in to test, and I still get the hiss. So I'm guessing it's the cable / cable shielding.

So basically, is this hiss normal - if so I'll ignore it and get on with life.

If it's not - is it a reasonable assumption that it's the cable - with the receiver in 'pure direct' mode the hiss remains. Further more, unplugging every connection out of it except these rca's the hiss remains. 

(please note, I know I should use a dedicated power amp but it's not going to happen soon).

If it probably is the cable at fault, can anyone recommend a brand and price point to look for? I only need 1 meter, actually if I moved the Fono MC I could probably make it shorter. I don't mind spending something in the hundreds. 

Many thanks

Gav

I suspect that you have plugged  your Rega fono mc pre-amplifier into the phono input of the Yamaha receiver. The Rega fono  is designed to connect to an  auxiliary input   ( refer to page 47 of the owner's manual ) adjacent to the  phono  input jacks of the Yamaha.

40 minutes ago, VanArn said:

I suspect that you have plugged  your Rega fono mc pre-amplifier into the phono input of the Yamaha receiver. The Rega fono  is designed to connect to an  auxiliary input   ( refer to page 47 of the owner's manual ) adjacent to the  phono  input jacks of the Yamaha.

No it's definitely in a normal rca input. Audio2 in this case. 

8 minutes ago, gavincato said:

No it's definitely in a normal rca input. Audio2 in this case. 

So do one more test.

Plug your Ania directly into the phono input of your Yam receiver.  (I'm assuming here that the receiver has an MC-capable phono input.)

Andy

MC phono's have a lot of gain so if the hiss is with the volume up a lot (say at the top of listening level) it's probably normal. I had an RP8 with Apheta 2 and Aria and with volume up loud there was hiss. Better phono stages will be quieter. My Xono is dead quiet even at full volume.