Planned obsolescence in hi-fi

I've been away... but I find it interesting that nobody has commented on the email they should have received from Sonos CEO over the weekend clarifying their position. Some of the "clarification" may have been back pedalling as a response to the outcry, but credit where credits due. I would quote the email but accidentally deleted it.

Basically they are working on a method to have old devices work whilst letting newer devices operate on the same network with up to date firmware.

2 minutes ago, blybo said:

I've been away... but I find it interesting that nobody has commented on the email they should have received from Sonos CEO over the weekend clarifying their position. Some of the "clarification" may have been back pedalling as a response to the outcry, but credit where credits due. I would quote the email but accidentally deleted it.

Basically they are working on a method to have old devices work whilst letting newer devices operate on the same network with up to date firmware.

Yes I agree it appears that an effort is being made to allow old devices to work with the newer ones.

4 minutes ago, blybo said:

I've been away... but I find it interesting that nobody has commented on the email they should have received from Sonos CEO over the weekend clarifying their position.

Perhaps this is evidence that BAD news spreads quicker than GOOD news.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, recur said:

Or that no one read the two posts immediately before these ones that linked to this fact?

That would require you to click the link. Perhaps we are just lazy but I reckon I only read around 30% of links in threads I'm interested in. Better to get the point across in the thread so comments can flow.

Big question still remains what if the mother ship drops off ? Will the gear keep working....it’s a problem not just for Sonos which can disappear like any other business... make business decisions..

but problem for any internet connected thing ... think all those still using squeeze boxes ... all long after Logitech dropped it. I have a Sony laptop still works long since Sony stopped doing laptops, I know someone with a Sony smartphone and Sony no longer sell those here, Sony has a history of doing stuff and dropping... Sonos not alone ...

9 minutes ago, betty boop said:

Big question still remains what if the mother ship drops off ? Will the gear keep working

True. I'd imagine the streaming of your own library would continue, streaming services would be the bigger question. One would assume Sonos would pay some sort of royalty to keep services on their devices.

• Like 1

While I'm as annoyed as most others with the lack of future usability ( 6 Sonos zones in the house and was about to add another, but all becoming obsolete), I think they could make a lot of people cope better with the changes if they want to.

In recent years the software upgrades were, in my experience, not optional. The controller just doesn't work until you do the update. If they give us the option to not do updates and add new components with the ability to join an existing network with no new updates, we may be quite happy for many years to come. I started selling Sonos systems the year after they came out and they are still the most user friendly system I've seen. But if people think they are paying a premium to buy quality, they  want to be able to keep using it until it dies a natural death (think my 45 year old Marantz stereophonic receiver that still sounds great. That's quality).

If the software gets to the point where we can't access streaming services, I'd still be happy to access my music collection stored on a NAS for multi-room music, with no need for an internet connection at all.

If they can do that, I will probably buy another Sonos Amp.

I have a couple of Chromecast audio that work fine but since using Android 10 and playing podcasts from the files app the Chromecasts are not visible, a newer 'Chromecast built in' device is visible. I can still cast the screen, but for how much longer?

• 2 weeks later...

Frankly I believe if you have the space, separates are the way to go. About the only thing that continues to change and improve is the DAC though if you go all out and invest in something like Audio Note, SW1X or Abbas Audio you'll likely never use another DAC again either.

Your puchasing decisions are what allow you to avoid planned obsolescence. It's just the space and cost may be a bit more than the majority of people are prepared to spend. In the long run it is likely cheaper though.

I've had to order a Mutec MC-3+ USB interface to get all the inputs I required though in the long run I'd rather just upgrade the interface connected to an end game DAC than go to the higher expense of replacing the DAC itself to suit the inputs used at the time.

Edited by MattyW

On 03/02/2020 at 5:21 PM, Fletch02 said:

If they give us the option to not do updates and add new components with the ability to join an existing network with no new updates, we may be quite happy for many years to come.

This is exactly what they have now said they are working towards. No need to throw them out :frantics:

• 4 weeks later...

I'm in a similar boat to many on this discussion, but 2 days ago came across a further issue with ongoing tech support. I planned to keep my current  6 zones going (nearly all now legacy and unsupported), but add the 1 or 2 more components I need before the May deadline and then use it however I can without updates until it dies completely.

So I bought my daughter a Sonos 1 for her birthday with voice control so she can have fun with her friends talking to google.

We have 3 phones, an ipad, an ipod touch, a Samsung galaxy tab and a windows 10 computer in the house. NONE of them were able to add the new unit to the system. All still work fine and all now have a message saying the operating system is not supported. I had to go and buy a new phone just so we could add a component to the system and then set up voice activation. The computer controller used to be the main interface. Now you have to have a mobile device to add a new component. It's simply not an option on the desktop controller.

Lucky phones are cheap and I got a Samsung A20 with Android 9 for $169, so at least it should last a few years before Android 9 is not supported as well.

Be very careful buying a new phone if it's to control Sonos. Many of the really cheap phones are still being sold new with Android 7 and this is the oldest version that Sonos currently support. You could be a new phone today and in 6 months it will have limited functionality. There's traps everywhere.