Jump to content

cccrchairman

SME 3009 Series 2 Unimproved

Recommended Posts

Hi,

Welcome to my first trip out to the stereonet crease. Bring on the chin music.

 

 I am hoping someone here can help me with this tonearm. The stub end does not appear to match any other 3009 S2. The stub end connects to arm via rod as shown and bushing inside stub end. The rod appears to be fixed to the arm. I am reluctant to put to much force to try and screw off or pull. If anyone advise on this it would be greatly appreciated. I am looking to get this arm up and running and working out what is going on here has me beat.

 

Cheers, Matt    

 

 

IMG_7414.thumb.jpeg.ca12518edf7ae7896cf656d27ca6e35d.jpeg

IMG_7417.jpeg

IMG_7416.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As it happens, I have an similar SME in need of repair.  I just took this photo for you to compare.  The stub is quite different.  I think yours may not be a genuine SME stub.  As you can see, some plumbers tape has been wound onto mine as a makeshift 'fix' for the perished rubber bush.  The rod seems tightly fixed on mine as well.

 

DSC_0512.thumb.JPG.66fb05f51c0f33fe1abe73f696fced8c.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just realised why your stub looked familiar.  It looks like the retaining shield from a Weller replaceable tip soldering iron!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the comments. From the looks of it the stub end is not stock. Is it correct that the stub end is a push fit to internal bushing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


2 hours ago, cccrchairman said:

From the looks of it the stub end is not stock.

Like I said.  It looks like a part from a Weller soldering iron.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

Like I said.  It looks like a part from a Weller soldering iron.

 

It does indeed - nice pick-up!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many thanks Pete for link above. Alfred was very helpful in getting this tonearm back into the game. As well as a tail stub I needed main counterweight, wayrod, rider weights and ran with new coupling rubbers and bed plate grommets. Not a cheap exercise but definitely a bonding one with the sme 3009.  If anyone is interested I have a Weller soldering iron retaining shield surplus to requirements and going cheap.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...