PS5, Anybody planning to get one?

I doubt I'm going to pre order anymore, I want to find out a few more details before I commit as I think Sony might end up changing a few things in a updated version.

This will probably depend on user feedback [And broken console warranty claims] as early adoptees are usually Tech minded anyway, they are the type that will want to add more storage ASAP, and subsequently report back on any problems, both in sourcing the added SSD's, and their price, and once added to the PS5 does it cause any heat problem which in turn causes the fans to run longer and louder.

Plus I still don't know if PS5 games are going to be able to be bought on disc, I haven't seen anything reporting this either way.

My suspicion is that the PS5 version with the disc player is only so it can have backward compatibility with reading PS4 disc's and work as a 4K Bluray player, as Sony CEO Jim Ray has said 66% of Sony games are now bought as downloads [How much of that figure is due to CV-19 lockdowns ?]

I'm sorry, but I've fallen for Sony's spin before, and it's never what you are lead to believe it was going to be, there has always been some sort of hidden limiting or crippling thing that lets them get away with saying saying something will work, but upon buying the unit and trying to get it to work, it will work, but in a very limited capacity, just enough to stave off a court case.[Usually DRM related]

The other scenario I'm expecting might happen is that Sony will initially release the two versions of the PS5, and then use the excuse of saying 'more people are downloading games' to gradually phase out the disc drive version, if that happens you can be sure PS5 games on disc will stop being made, so your left with a bit of a white elephant of a console.

Look I don't mind downloading games, it the PRICE GOUGING by SONY that really annoys me, on average it's $30 more for the download version of a new game over a disc version, multiply that by how many games you purchase over a year, then multiple that by how many copies of the game are sold.....pretty nice earner for Sony for doing sod all.

Anyway, rant over.

The PS5 is a game changer for game DESIGNERS / BUILDERS, that's primarily who the PS5's architecture has been designed for, it's not such a game changer for game players, it's just a generation up on the PS4.

The only real noticeable change a gamer will find is faster loading times, and I suspect due to the multicore nature of the PS5's AMD chip, traversing the menus and opening things like friends lists and community pages should be a lot faster, I certainly hope so. [it's getting real sluggish navigating the menus on a PS4 Pro now, it used to be a lot faster, I blame 7 years of clunky system updates ]

I doubt games will actually start looking considerably better until the first ones made with the latest UNREAL 5 engine hit the platform [That engine won't be released until Q2 2021]

Now THAT will be something to behold, but I suspect won't be happening with a major AAA title until at least 2024/5.

You also have had the situation where AMD were having problems with the specially designed chip for the PS5, which in turn caused the stalling of the PS5 development kit, so it ended up being sent out way later than the equivalent PS4 development kits prior to the PS4's launch.

I suspect due to the abrupt cancellation of the original Cyberpunk 2077 release date being moved to October, that they have been busy tweaking the game for the PS5 version, so of the new releases, this is the one I suspect will be the standout of the first titles available on the PS5......CD RED Rocket are saying if you buy the PS4 version of the game and load it onto a PS5 you will get a PS5 optimized version update for free at a later date, so you can't lose really, unless you hate the game lol.

As the game developer come to terms with writing games for the PS5, it will be interesting to compare the file sizes of two versions of the same game, PS4 & PS5, as unless they add some additional features to the PS5 version, by rights, the PS5 version should have a smaller file size, as the way the PS5 has been designed, there is a whole bunch of traditionally used code used for asset management that won't be needed, as the PS5 is so fast it can be read straight off the HD.

• 4 weeks later...

Just on your point (above) about online purchases - I too strive to buy physical copies.  I have been burnt by Sony's refund policy (it's no better despite the press and fine) for games that are crap or don't work.  One example is Superhot VR for PS VR.  The controls are so god awful that a friend and I literally couldn't progress becuase it couldn't see one of the move controllers properly.  Never got a refund and I persisted!   

And friendship among gamers is swapping titles, I just gave away my Horizon Zero Dawn disc to a friend - why is there no game sharing with digital?  I like the fact that friends can also lend me a game for a week or so and I give it back after trying.  Seeing the pretty titles on my self reminds me to play them, but digital seems like a pile of too much things to try haha. 

We need physical releases to support local stores, second hand industry and fellow gamers. 

• Like 1

On 13/08/2020 at 3:19 PM, captaineos said:

I'm probably a day 1 PS5 kinda guy, but it's not for the games necessarily.  I actually want 60fps PS4 upgrades.

There are a few things with the PS4 / PS5 crossover that I'm not sure about, PS4 games at 60fps is one of them.

I strongly suspect the above will only be achievable if you have downloaded a PS4 game to a PS5's internal HD, it's all a matter of data transfer.

Actually it's that data transfer that is the cornerstone of the PS5's design, other than that the difference between gaming on a PS4 PRO and a PS5 would be pretty much indistinguishable.

The USB port on the back of the PS5 is so you can play PS4 games stored on a external USB HD, you can't store PS5 games on a external USB, so you won't be getting PS4 games playing at 60 fps off that, neither will you get it from reading off discs on a PS5 with a disc drive, again both down to transfer speeds.

This capability of backward compatibility with playing PS4 games stored on a external USB drive will show you what I meant about Sony not telling you the full story, and things actually being limited when you actually go to use them.

I'm betting that you won't be able to plug any external USB HD that you have PS4 games stored on and use them on a PS5, even if you deactivated your PS4 as your main device and make your PS5 the main device.

Sony will consider the PS4 and PS5 different systems, much like PS3 was to PS4, and want you to repurchase PS4 games to use on a PS5.......not a problem if you have a PS5 with a disc drive, and you have a disc version of the game, but if you have the download version, expect to get your wallet stolen by Sony yet again, or just keep running a PS4 along side yor PS5......I'm already running out of power sockets [PS2/3/4/PSTV ]

All games be they downloaded versions or disc versions have a identifying number , it's what game manufactures and Sony use to get sales figures and other info - like how many used discs are being passed on / resold, it's why the game manufacturers and Sony don't like games on Discs, they only make money on the original sale 

I can't see any major gains of games being obviously better[apart from 60 fps if installed on internal HD] on the PS5 than the current best PS4 PRO enhanced games, until they are specifically designed to take advantage of the PS5 architecture AND using the Unreal 5 engine, so at best mid 2023, as Unreal 5 engine won't be available till mid 2021.

The Elephant in the room that nobody has talked about is that get the best from the PS5, the game makers will need to rethink their way of making games, as the PS5 system architecture makes a lot of current asset /data management basically redundant, which is fine if building a game that is only going to be released on the PS5, but problematic when making it for other ports.

You might [a big might] get the situation where most games get released on the PS5 first, as it will be easier to code for, then ported to PC / XBOX / Switch.....great for Sony.

OR

The other possibility is that PC gaming machines will end up being configured like the PS5, and a separate gaming specific OS comes into being...Very BAD for Sony.

See what happens over the next 5 years, as that's about the time frame I suspect these things will be answered.

If GT7 is released with a good physics engine & gameplay, i'll get one.

It would help tilt the balance if polyphony included the USB drivers for a driving force pro (official steering wheel).

Going from official steering wheel to unsupported controller (in the case of GT sport) is pure BS.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Anybody getting a PS5 might want to view this video from HDTVTEST on getting a new HDMI cable that will work without problems.

I don't know if Sony include a suitable cable with the PS5, but if you start having problems at least this might be the reason why.

• Like 1

I'll almost certainly buy one. Play it for 3 hours then it will collect dust.

At least that's what I did with the PS4. Every 6 months or so, went back and bought 2 or 3 top end games to play. Played for 3 hours, back to dust collecting. 

Had every generation of PS so far though (and one xbox360) Seems unfortunate to break tradition. 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Ritero said:

At least that's what I did with the PS4. Every 6 months or so, went back and bought 2 or 3 top end games to play. Played for 3 hours, back to dust collecting. 

Had every generation of PS so far though (and one xbox360) Seems unfortunate to break tradition. 

Yeah - me too (sort of) with the variation that this will become a FS5 (FIFA Station 5) - so still more use than yourself!

My hope is they’ll cover the gamut of (video) streaming apps this time.

Edited by Guest

3 minutes ago, Tweaky said:

Here's a general rundown on what streaming apps will be included at launch for the PS5, with more to be added later.

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/10/22/new-media-experience-and-top-entertainment-streaming-apps-coming-to-ps5/

Ty!

Will have to keep Apple TV for a little while unfortunately - but I have the media remote ordered already.

I think I'll just stick with my 2 year old PC, it works well enough for me.

i5 9600k 6 cores

RTX2070 Graphics with 8gb ram on board

16Gb 3200 System Ram

DVD drive

1Tb m.2 on the mobo and a couple of 2Tb spinny disks.

3x 22" and 1x 27" monitors.

edit: Agreed it cost a lot more than a PS5, but I have never got on well with consoles and their controllers.

Edited by Batty

On 31/10/2020 at 8:18 PM, Ritero said:

Hahaha is this me from an alternate reality? Sounds exactly how I am. I've bought so many games this year, only for most of them to sit dormant.

• Haha 1

How anybody can game on a keyboard amazes me

Then again the type of games I play don't really lend themselves to keyboard playing anyway [Racing games]

I've been playing the newly released PACER [ I've been involved with it's development since 2015 ] which is quite similar to the Anti Gravity racing game WIPEOUT.

Not everybody's cup of tea, as a lot of people new to this type of game have trouble using the air brakes, as well as steering at the same time.

Still a few bugs in the game ATM which they are onto, so a fix should be out possibly today.

Out of the 6 or 7 reviews of the game so far all but one have given it at least 8/10 if not 9/10.....have to wait and see what score it ends up with at Metacritic , which it's currently sitting at a score of 75, but it's only used reviews from 4 sites so far, why that is, or how they go about choosing review sites to compile the scores is something I don't know

https://store.playstation.com/en-au/product/EP1888-CUSA14926_00-0000000FXWAR2075

• Like 2

Do keyboards have the haptic abilities of console controllers? You can probably get peripherals that do. I know HTC VR has that capability, but keys on a board? I doubt it.

Sony's new Dual Sense controller is getting rave reviews because of it's haptic feedback. I'm keen to try it out.