PS5, Anybody planning to get one?

I was looking at building a new PC gaming rig over the weekend [I'm on holidays and getting bored lol ], not that my current one is that out dated, but I just wanted to see what's available and how it stacks up; also if it was a good time to do so or was I better off waiting till Q3 or Q4 when both AMD and Intel have new CPU's out, plus I imagine DDR5 RAM should have started making a appearance as well by then, which will mean new motherboards and chipsets.

I've always been a Playstation owner, and checked the specs of the upcoming PS5.

8 core 16 thread CPU, DDR5 RAM, SSD and graphics that will do ray tracing, pretty impressive., the new Xbox is pretty similar in spec.

The expected selling price is US $499 which works out a bit over the AUS $700 mark, and they reckon Sony will be taking around a $200 per unit hit at that price - expect PS5 games to be expensive to make that back]

So I was looking at what PC components would be needed to sort of match those spec's, my reasoning being that gaming houses will be making new games with those console specs in mind, so any PC gaming rig would at least want to match if not better them, or at least have the same multi core/thread count..... I know few current games utilize multi cores on a CPU, and it's why Intels single core performance has traditionally been 'The' chip's for gamers, but I'm thinking that might change now both major consoles CPU's will be similar.

The result surprised and shocked me, as only Intels i9 and AMD's Rayzen 9 CPU's were at around the same spec [although the 5 is sort of close] both around the $800 mark, and to build in some future proofing for the GC that had Ray tracing support, your looking at a RTX mode, which 'start' at around the $550 mark for the RTX 2060 OC .

Add a couple of SSD's , RAM M/B cooling etc and a copy of WIN 10 [yeah I know you could use Linux] and you'd be probably looking at spending around at least the $2700 to $3000 mark, and very easy to spend more.

So after seeing that's what the situation is likely to be until at least until the end of the year, it does make the PS5 start to look like very good value even if it ends up selling for $800.

Pity I can't say the same about the PS5's styling if it stays the same [I know that's what the PS5 development kits look like], a newer consumer design looks a lot sleeker.[see link below]

https://www.t3.com/au/news/discredited-ps5-leak-proves-true-as-sony-sneaks-out-official-playstation-info

Guess we shall find out soon enough, and how much truth is in that leak above.....Me, I've already put money aside to buy a PS5.

I figure if Sony is going to be taking such a loss on each console just to get the player base, the price isn't going to be going down from the release price any time soon, so I might as well get one straight away.

Guest Muon N'

PC gaming has always been this way, I was for ever chasing upgrades to run the latest game when I was into it more, was a game in itself....and an expensive one :D

On a side note: not sure of the current state of gaming, but when I was into it the game houses really didn't take advantage of what the latest hardware was capable of...

Edited by Muon N'

Have had gaming rigs in past but soon stopped bothering you can’t beat consoles at 100s they go for. 

Re ps5 , I’ve had 2 gen of ps3 and ps4 and fold them as overall I found games suck... switched over to Xbox 

not sure I’d bother going back ...

What's everyone playing for driving sims? It's been a while for me (since PS1 days with GT) and I'm wanting to put something together for my kids. 

Zero idea what's on Xbox but a lot of happy owners here... is there a GT equivalent? Better?

I will be getting one on launch with whatever driving sim will be released with it.

@rmpfyf I am currently playing project cars 2 as IMO it has the most realistic physics and online gaming. GT Sport is also very good and graphics on that are stunning. The only title coming close on xbox is Forza I believe, but last time I played that, it was too arcadey for me.

If you are interested in getting your kids in to clean, fun racing (instead of the demolition derbys you get in random online rooms), checkout raceonoz.com.

I'll get one, eventually. I tend to hang on to the prior generation until the price on the new one has come down some.

I upgraded my PS4 500GB slim + $149 to a PS4 1Tb pro at EB Games just before Christmas. Seemed like an absolute no-brainer at that price. and will do me for the next two years. 

My son mainly blazes away on Fortnight and Star Wars Battlefront 2 but we occasionally battle it out on GT Sport - which not having been too interested in simulator games the past, would say is very good @rmpfyf

On 21/01/2020 at 10:44 PM, betty boop said:

Have had gaming rigs in past but soon stopped bothering you can’t beat consoles at 100s they go for. 

Re ps5 , I’ve had 2 gen of ps3 and ps4 and fold them as overall I found games suck... switched over to Xbox 

not sure I’d bother going back ...

It’s funny,

my brother got the latest Xbox for his daughter, my niece,  who is btw 7.   He can’t wait to get back into a PS....    

I'm the same.

I bought a PSone first back in 97, then when the PS3 and Xbox Elite came out I bought one of each on the same day.

It was the games on the PS3 that drew me into playing them far far more than what Xbox had on offer, the same situation remains to this day.

If there were Xbox only titles that I thought I would want to play, I'd buy a Xbox without hesitation, but there aren't any, all the Xbox's BIG titles seem to me like generic shooters made for the US market.

Xbox never had Adventure games like the Uncharted series, they never had anti gravity racer like Wipeout, they might have had a few stealth based games, but nothing like Metal Gear solid or the Last of Us, didn't have any Final Fantasy's either.

When you look at the comparison roster of each console for games that only appear on one console and not the other, it's extremely lopsided in the Playstation's favor IMHO.

Well it's obviously not just my opinion, people have been voting with their wallets for years, and it's the reason that the Playstation has a much larger install base than Xbox.

I know that I'll be getting one, BUT I'm not sure how close after release I'll end up getting it. I got a PS4 Pro last year, due to my older system struggling to run a couple of the more recent games without sounding like it was about to fly away on me. On the Pro the same games are practically whisper quiet. I would like to invest in a 4K TV for the PS5 too.  Also, no doubt games like Death Stranding and The Last Of Us Pt II will end up on the PS5 so I'm waiting on those to arrive for it too.

I also had plans to finally cobble together a respectable PC rig too but that hasn't been able to happen yet either lol. The problems of a gamer xD.

Edited by zeogold92

I have taken my Xbox gaming onto the PC so no longer have a need for one.

I will most likely upgrade my PS4 to a PS5 there are a few games we all enjoy as a family predominantly the Lego series games.

Nick

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 20/03/2020 at 8:48 PM, Kaynin said:

Still on PS3, will skip PS4 and likely go straight to 5.

Any specs on either unit yet?

Yeah both units have most of the specs released. Digital Foundry have a brief article comparing the two. Seems the Series X has a bit more graphics/cpu power, and more backward compatibility options. PS5 looks to have an easier way to expand internal storage vs. the Series X.

Probably am preferring the Series X at the moment. Been using Game Pass on the PC which has been pretty good for me. Hopefully XBox One games on the service move to the Series X as well.

• Like 1

I was only PC for many years then got an xbox 360 and ps3 because i was sick of upgrading the graphics card every 6 months and the PC every 12 months.

Depends on what you want to do , i am now back on PC because i was on Iracing for a while which is PC only but i realized the PC is so much more versatile in regards to add ons , also i think the upgrade process has slowed down as i have had the same spec for a while now and feel no need to upgrade yet.

System Specs.

I5 8600k

RTX2070 (overclocked to 2080 level)

Windows 10

m.2 SSD 1Tb

16G Ram

The consoles you are locked in to whatever is officially supported by them but PC is very open.

So i don't think i will be going back to consoles any time soon and at the moment the only game i am playing is WRC 8 online weekly challenge. (it's the best rally game to date , bloody good fun , WRC 9 is coming out in September this year).

David

• Like 1

I'm wondering if Sony's release plans for the PS5 are still on track given the CV-19 situation.

I certainly think they will be having to adjust their sales expectations because of it, also the capacity of the various factories around the world to manufacture them.

The consequences might be that Sony might not be prepared to take as big a loss on each console sold, making its price quite a bit higher, which will in turn lower sales, as its proposed price was on the threshold of being out of reach for a lot of people already

I really like the idea of zero load times that Sony is pushing, also super keen to try out their ‘tempest’ 3D audio system. They shed a bit at Atmos’s tiny 32 channels and says this will do thousands. The trick is that it needs to map your ear shape to be effective. The audio processing has the power of a PS4 cpu dedicated to get it done!

I’ll probably end up with both like I did this gen as well as a Switch. It’s all about which to get first. 

I would like to avoid launch consoles as they have a high chance of issues. PS4 Pro has loud fans, Switch left controller issues, Xbox One got a 10% speed bump after they dumped Kinect. 

1 hour ago, PauliD said:

I would like to avoid launch consoles as they have a high chance of issues. PS4 Pro has loud fans, Switch left controller issues, Xbox One got a 10% speed bump after they dumped Kinect. 

Yeah, and original FAT BC 60GB PS3's suddenly died because they used 'Green' Lead free solder, which dried out got cracks in it. it made them unable to be repair [well a small company in the USA did develop a machine that could melt the solder , but who's going to send a PS3 to the USA to get repaired?]

I'm surprised Sony got away without a class action filed against them because, it happened to so many worldwide.