Roksan Corus - repair or replace?

Hi Brainstrust,

I inherited a Rega P2 with a Roksan Corus Blue from probably the early 90s and about two years ago my toddler snapped the cantilever off it! I’ve had a quote to replace the cantilever with a new aluminium one with a Shibata tip for $445. 

The question is do you guys think it’s worth it when I could get a Garrot K3 for about the same money, or save quite a bit and get something like an Audio Technica VM530EN which my Dad has and I’ve been impressed with? Is the diaphragm in the Corus as good / better than its modern counterparts?

cheers

On 21/01/2020 at 5:16 PM, NADMAD said:

Hi Brainstrust,

I inherited a Rega P2 with a Roksan Corus Blue from probably the early 90s and about two years ago my toddler snapped the cantilever off it! I’ve had a quote to replace the cantilever with a new aluminium one with a Shibata tip for $445. 

The question is do you guys think it’s worth it when I could get a Garrot K3 for about the same money, or save quite a bit and get something like an Audio Technica VM530EN which my Dad has and I’ve been impressed with? Is the diaphragm in the Corus as good / better than its modern counterparts?

cheers

11 minutes ago, ThirdDrawerDown said:

Hmm. Satdee night and no answers yet. I think the brains trust are all watching tennis. And I am no expert here. Maybe market forces can help: what prices are being paid for these various pieces of kit on the second-hand market? 

Hah - no, not watching tennis (but a double helping of "Occupied" on Netflix, instead :) ), Murray.

NADMAD, I would suggest a 'Corus Blue' from the 90s would need the suspension replaced, as well as a new cantilever (as it's that old).  IE. more than a $445 jobbie to get it back to scratch.

I know nothing about the Garrot K3 but I do know the P77 is a great cart.  Talk to Garrot and see what they would charge to supply you with a P77 whilst taking your Corus as a trade-in.  :)

Andy

I am not familiar with the Roksan Corus Blue but given its age, the cost of repair and the fact that it would be your primary cartridge, I would suggest that it is probably time to move on from it.

Do some research, there are plenty of well priced MM options for a similar price to the cost of repair of your existing cart.

You could sell the cart as is in the Classifieds, someone might be interested in it. This would help to increase your budget for a replacement cart.

Thanks gents, I’ve pulled the pin on the repair. The two cartridges I’m now considering are the Audio Technica VM540ML and the Goldring 1042. I installed the 520eb on my dad’s turntable and was really impressed so suspect the 540 will be great. The Goldring would be very similar to the Roksan and in fact I could potentially fit the stylus from this to the Roksan cartridge to see which combo I prefer. I think the Roksan uses a rebadged Goldring cartridge though so probably a total waste of time! Thoughts on which is the best cartridge?

22 hours ago, NADMAD said:

Thanks gents, I’ve pulled the pin on the repair. The two cartridges I’m now considering are the Audio Technica VM540ML and the Goldring 1042. I installed the 520eb on my dad’s turntable and was really impressed so suspect the 540 will be great. The Goldring would be very similar to the Roksan and in fact I could potentially fit the stylus from this to the Roksan cartridge to see which combo I prefer. I think the Roksan uses a rebadged Goldring cartridge though so probably a total waste of time! Thoughts on which is the best cartridge?

I'd get the Audio Technica. Really well built units and ML stylus is no slouch.