cazzesman

Linux Mint - Cinnamon 19.3

As most well know the much loved W7 has reached its end date.   No more support or updates.

My PC usage has simplified greatly these past few years.    Just net surfing mostly.   No games, now video editing, photo stuff etc.

So I have been researching the Linux Mint - Cinnamon 19.3.    Looks simple and user friendly.    W10 just seems to cop alot of flack and more and more intrusive.

Any thoughts on Mint.   I see there are a 100 “Distros” for Linux etc but Mint just seemed a good newbie starter.

My main query will be moving across from Outlook email to Thunderbird.

Suggestions and/or advice.

Regards Cazzesman

5 minutes ago, cazzesman said:

As most well know the much loved W7 has reached its end date.   No more support or updates.

My PC usage has simplified greatly these past few years.    Just net surfing mostly.   No games, now video editing, photo stuff etc.

So I have been researching the Linux Mint - Cinnamon 19.3.    Looks simple and user friendly.    W10 just seems to cop alot of flack and more and more intrusive.

Any thoughts on Mint.   I see there are a 100 “Distros” for Linux etc but Mint just seemed a good newbie starter.

Suggestions and/or advice.

Regards Cazzesman

Great choice !  Linux Mint is a excellent operating system, with lots of support, and it just work's in a friendly efficient manner 

You should find the transition to Thunderbird very easy, but this might help    

Yes, there are many Linux variants and note that there are 3 editions of Mint!
https://linuxmint-installation-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/choose.html

I agree that it is probably a good entry point for a newbie.  But be warned that sometimes, you will need to use Linux commands when things go wrong; not difficult to do but you have to be willing to do it.

Have a look at this for migrating from Outlook to Thunderbird

https://gust.com/programs/how-to-migrate-from-outlook-to-thunderbird

There will be some minor problems in the migration process but the biggest challenge is changing the way you use email from Outlook.  Have heard stories of people going back to Win because of Outlook.

Edited by Snoopy8
Typo

Linux Mint is good.  Just updated to 19.3 here a few days ago.    I really don't think there is a smoother linux experience around. 

Key to a happy switch over is just to make sure you have replacement programs for the things you need to do. The switch over to Thunderbird is a good example.   I switched my wife over from Outlook to Thunderbird and she loves it.  Especially being able to bring all her email accounts under one "umbrella" in one neat package.

I'm on Linux Mint for years ...highly recommended!

I put Linux Mint on an older i7 Windows 7 laptop due to the ending of support for W7

The laptop is now very snappy and what I remember it to be. Very good for general web browsing.

Have a had a few issues though and fixed most. Still can't find anything to adjust the mouse scroll wheel.

Also using it as a Roon Core which was a nightmare to install until a nice member on Roon forums helped out and it was then done in seconds. The only issue remaining with Roon is I can't get any USB output to a DAC within Roon (Roon knows it's there) but normal audio via web browser etc works fine.

Roon have looked into it and have suggested for me to try Ubuntu instead. 

Has anyone else had issues with Roon and Mint?

1 minute ago, Bunno77 said:

I put Linux Mint on an older i7 Windows 7 laptop due to the ending of support for W7

The laptop is now very snappy and what I remember it to be. Very good for general web browsing.

Have a had a few issues though and fixed most. Still can't find anything to adjust the mouse scroll wheel.

Also using it as a Roon Core which was a nightmare to install until a nice member on Roon forums helped out and it was then done in seconds. The only issue remaining with Roon is I can't get any USB output to a DAC within Roon (Roon knows it's there) but normal audio via web browser etc works fine.

Mint is based on Ubuntu.  The latest 19.3 is based on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.    I would suggest that if you get sound from a web browser and other linux programs, then Roon is at fault.

19 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

Mint is based on Ubuntu.  The latest 19.3 is based on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.    I would suggest that if you get sound from a web browser and other linux programs, then Roon is at fault.

Yeah I assume the same too. Roon support looked at logs etc and offered no solution. Waiting to hear back from DAC manufacturer 

Regardless very happy with Linux as the OS for the old laptop. Don't think I could do without Windows though

32 minutes ago, Bunno77 said:

Yeah I assume the same too. Roon support looked at logs etc and offered no solution.

To suggest trying Ubuntu indicates  they are  just desperately hoping.  It is VERY unlikely to make any difference.  You can take a binary package built for Ubuntu and use it with Mint with no changes.

32 minutes ago, Bunno77 said:

Mouse and Pointer adjustments will in the menu items, at Preferences - Mouse and Touchpad

For audio outputs etc Mint uses Pulse - the standard set up though usually needs an additional item called pavucontrol which can be found in software manager. Once you have pavucontrol installed - go to a terminal as seen in the screenshot, type in pavucontrol ( because you have just installed it, it then opens  )  You will then find numerous audio output settings at the Configuration tab  . Also refer to the volume control in the far right of the bottom of your screen for volume setting.  https://community.linuxmint.com/software/view/pavucontrol

Historically there is another sound mixer called Alsa, it too can prove useful to select devices, but Pulse these days is pretty good. 

Also with Linux there are numerous ways of doing tasks, for instance rather than Software manager you could use Synaptic package manager, or even run a command in a terminal to fetch in this case pavucontrol   , but Software manager is the easiest.   

Screenshot_2020-01-21_13-56-54.png

@stereo coffee Thanks Chris that is some great info. Yeha have found those mouse options but ca't find a way to scroll faster (more than 1 line)

Will look into the sound stuff. Found a bit of that and had a time trying to get audio out via HDMI which I did get sorted eventually. Will keep playing and look at what you suggested

Thank you

4 hours ago, cazzesman said:

W10 just seems to cop alot of flack and more and more intrusive.

As a Linux/Mac person, but a Windows Enterprise person (work).....  I don't understand this.   Win 10 us really not super different to Win 7.

There is a specific solution for most gripes.

Any thoughts on Mint

There are fine Linux desktops.

The real question is does the software you want to use work (and work well) on Linux.

Mint just seemed a good newbie starter

Yes.

If you're just a standard Outlook user then you should be fine.

Im bit of a computer numpty, but couldnt take the Windows 7 ever bloating startup times and unresponsiveness any more.

I bit the bullet and did a Mint install myself. Easy and problem free. Thunderbird mails not an issue and theres lots of others to chose from.

The only software I cant find that suits my taste is a media player.

I think its a legacy of having Windows muscle memory, but for me the Windows media player was easy to interact with. I cant find one that I like (read gives a similar user experience)

Anyone know of a similar user interface media player available for Mint?

1 hour ago, glenm64 said:

The only software I cant find that suits my taste is a media player.

I think its a legacy of having Windows muscle memory, but for me the Windows media player was easy to interact with. I cant find one that I like (read gives a similar user experience)

Anyone know of a similar user interface media player available for Mint?

media players can be a personal preference thing.  It's been so long since I used Window's media player, I don't remember enough to pick a similar linux one.

Three I like are Quod Libet, Clementine, and Amarok.  Here's a list  https://alternativeto.net/software/windows-media-player/?platform=linux

Hi @cazzesman I taught myself how to install a light ubuntu distro called lubuntu on an old laptop that was the PC equivalent of "a bear with very little brain".

The information on the web is excellent about how to install, and the steps and sequence.

I found the hardest thing was remembering how to call up the Terminal. There's a lot of software out there and most instructions assume you know how to open the Terminal and how to use the sudo instruction.

But if you are completely new to linux these unwritten prior requirements can become a real frustration and a barrier to entry.

I do encourage you in your journey. I got a sense of accomplishment and didn't feel that I was being wrenched away from my original purpose of just getting a tool together that I could listen to music on. (The trap with these things is that they can become an end in themselves).

Edited to add: you wouldn't believe how many times I've had to google this:

If you can't find a launcher, or if you just want a faster way to bring up the terminal, most Linux systems use the same default keyboard shortcut to start it: Ctrl-Alt-T.

So let's talk about it, one n00b to another. The page on the link below about the terminal, and it's helpful to read some of the rest of that tutorial for the history and thinking behind linux and how to use just the command line to find your way around your new computer

https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/command-line-for-beginners#2

The terminal becomes important at Section 2 of this page:

https://www.ubuntupit.com/best-things-to-do-after-installing-linux-mint/

but of course you can avoid the terminal altogether. As pointed out on this page, the Terminal is optional

https://www.howtogeek.com/138675/htg-explains-why-you-shouldnt-be-scared-of-the-terminal-on-linux/

Edited by ThirdDrawerDown

On 21/01/2020 at 7:50 PM, ThirdDrawerDown said:

Hi @cazzesman I taught myself how to install a light ubuntu distro called lubuntu on an old laptop that was the PC equivalent of "a bear with very little brain".

The information on the web is excellent about how to install, and the steps and sequence.

I found the hardest thing was remembering how to call up the Terminal. There's a lot of software out there and most instructions assume you know how to open the Terminal and how to use the sudo instruction.

But if you are completely new to linux these unwritten prior requirements can become a real frustration and a barrier to entry.

I do encourage you in your journey. I got a sense of accomplishment and didn't feel that I was being wrenched away from my original purpose of just getting a tool together that I could listen to music on. (The trap with these things is that they can become an end in themselves).

Edited to add: you wouldn't believe how many times I've had to google this:

So let's talk about it, one n00b to another. The page on the link below about the terminal, and it's helpful to read some of the rest of that tutorial for the history and thinking behind linux and how to use just the command line to find your way around your new computer

https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/command-line-for-beginners#2

The terminal becomes important at Section 2 of this page:

https://www.ubuntupit.com/best-things-to-do-after-installing-linux-mint/

but of course you can avoid the terminal altogether. As pointed out on this page, the Terminal is optional

https://www.howtogeek.com/138675/htg-explains-why-you-shouldnt-be-scared-of-the-terminal-on-linux/

There will be access to most commands you are attempting already available as a graphics user interface ( gui ) menu item, the menus are broadly similar in cinnamon, mate xfce and budgie editions of ubuntu.  Mint I consider is easier still, with a very intuitive menu  and offers maximum ease of use.   

Learning command line as you point out is a good skill to have. 

2 hours ago, stereo coffee said:

There will be access to most commands you are attempting already available as a graphics user interface ( gui ) menu item

or if it's not already there, it will be able to be installed from the repository.

And if you really can't get by without a program that is not supported by Linux Mint, you can run a Virtual Win 7 machine, using Oracle Virtual Box. I do this for MediaMonkey and EAC. It does take a little learning, but worth it if you want to take the plunge.

My 83 yr old MIL is past using the ASUS laptop we bought her 2 yrs ago so i might co-op that for a Mint install.    Intel i3 with 4mb ram.  2 x 128 gig hdd.

Should do trick the trick.   Currently running W7 but might upgrade to W10 to use with Dirac LIve 2.0 and to install the latest firmware for my Kii 3”s.   Both require W10.

Once that is sorted I will try the dual boot with Linux.     I can get up to speed with Mint and all going well I can rebuild my home pc from W7 to Mint down the track.     My PC style of usage has become so minimalistic I am fairly convinced from my research, Linux will do everything I need in one way shape or form.    

I see Flac Frontend runs on Mint and there is an alternative to EAC if required.    

If it all goes to hell..........nothing ventured nothing gained.

funny now that I have started investigating Linux the world of Windows and Google makes you look for alternatives.  Just changed over from Google SE to DuckDuckGo.    Seems to be doing all I want with a minimum of fuss.

Regards Cazzesman

Regards Cazzesman

Edited by cazzesman

2 hours ago, bob_m_54 said:

run a Virtual Win 7 machine, using Oracle Virtual Box. I do this for MediaMonkey and EAC.

I can save you some hassle.  EAC runs perfectly under Wine here on Linux Mint.

1 hour ago, cazzesman said:

there is an alternative to EAC if required.

As above.  EAC runs fine under Linux Mint using Wine

On 24/01/2020 at 1:48 PM, aussievintage said:

I can save you some hassle.  EAC runs perfectly under Wine here on Linux Mint.

yes it does, but MediaMonkey doesn't..

On 24/01/2020 at 11:57 AM, cazzesman said:

My 83 yr old MIL is past using the ASUS laptop we bought her 2 yrs ago so i might co-op that for a Mint install.    Intel i3 with 4mb ram.  2 x 128 gig hdd.

Should do trick the trick.   Currently running W7 but might upgrade to W10 to use with Dirac LIve 2.0 and to install the latest firmware for my Kii 3”s.   Both require W10.

Once that is sorted I will try the dual boot with Linux.     I can get up to speed with Mint and all going well I can rebuild my home pc from W7 to Mint down the track.     My PC style of usage has become so minimalistic I am fairly convinced from my research, Linux will do everything I need in one way shape or form.    

I see Flac Frontend runs on Mint and there is an alternative to EAC if required.    

If it all goes to hell..........nothing ventured nothing gained.

funny now that I have started investigating Linux the world of Windows and Google makes you look for alternatives.  Just changed over from Google SE to DuckDuckGo.    Seems to be doing all I want with a minimum of fuss.

Regards Cazzesman

Regards Cazzesman

There is no alternative to EAC... it stands alone.