Parasound A21 trial

Hey guys,

I was wondering if there are any A21 owners in the Brisbane area (I'm on Southside).

I'd like to trial a dual mono set up, I'm curious about the sound, but I need a donor amp for the trial. 

I'm only after a couple of hours of someone's time & happy to provide beveridges and snacks or fuel money if that's the case.

Thanks

Jason

not sure if this is the correct area to post this, I'm sure the mods will move if not. 

@Gambit 1870 Without knowing the rest of your Equipment, but getting the idea you want plenty of Solid State Power/Current, I'm going to recommend the Vincent SP-998 Mono Blocks. I A/B'd against the Parasound A21 a few years back and the Vincent 998's were better all round. I havn't heard JC1's so can't comment there, but you're starting to get up in $$$.

2 hours ago, Pegasus said:

I've been there already.

You'd be better off selling your A21 and finding a pair of JC1s or a Pass Labs X250.5 of X250.8.

Hey Pegasus, 

I did have a pair of jc1's but I moved them on due to some personal circumstances at the time. While of love another pair $ are directed different these days. 

I have changed my speakers since.

1 hour ago, initforthemusic said:

@Gambit 1870 Without knowing the rest of your Equipment, but getting the idea you want plenty of Solid State Power/Current, I'm going to recommend the Vincent SP-998 Mono Blocks. I A/B'd against the Parasound A21 a few years back and the Vincent 998's were better all round. I havn't heard JC1's so can't comment there, but you're starting to get up in $$$.

Cheers mate, I'll check them out?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Pegasus said:

I've been there already.

You'd be better off selling your A21 and finding a pair of JC1s or a Pass Labs X250.5 of X250.8.

I've been there too. Even though JC1's do sound very good. But 2x A21s definitely sound very good too and you can save about $2k from the JC1's. So if you are willing to spend $6k, then yes go for the JC1's, but if around $4k is the budget, 2x A21s is definitely a much better sounding option than just 1x A21.

Also for your information, 2x A21s can also drive 4 ohmn speakers 

10 hours ago, Gambit 1870 said:

Hey Pegasus, 

I did have a pair of jc1's but I moved them on due to some personal circumstances at the time. While of love another pair $ are directed different these days. 

I have changed my speakers since.

I would be very happy to move back down to 2x A21s if I was also forced into a situation of selling my JC1's. 

In my opinion, 2x A21s in monos definitely sound better than just the 1x. The music comes more alive and the bass kicks more! 

Some combinations of gear just seam to work and for what ever reason Vienna Acoustic speakers from what I have heard on Occassion match extremely well with Parasound amps, especially if your into head banger music like Jason is, where as us sophisticated Gold Coast types prefer tube amps with our Vienna’s .... ?

Jason is wanting to try out a second A21 in his system as it would be a very cost affective upgrade if he likes the combination as A21’s do pop up for sale on a regular basis at very reasonable prices.

I seriously hope Jason is able to find some kind soul to loan him a second A21 to try out as I’’d love to hear this combination in action, of course I’ll be taking over a bottle of fine Sherry and several Dianna Krall and Nat King Cole CD’s for the Occassion while no doubt he will be swilling some luke warm XXXX while wanting to play some heathen head banger rubbish as he does.

The serious compromises both Vienna Acoustic speakers and friends like me do make on occasion should not go unnoticed. 

.... :angel:

cheers,

Terry

Edited by TerryO
  • Like 1

I would have thought that a flagon of goon was more your style Terry ?

Either that or a vintage (bottled last week) bottle of Retsina.

If Gambit gets stuck, I have an A21 here (in my bedroom system).

Travelling atm is a bit of a problem for me.

But I have plenty of "head-banging" vinyl & CDs here.

36 minutes ago, Pegasus said:

I would have thought that a flagon of goon was more your style Terry ?

Either that or a vintage (bottled last week) bottle of Retsina.

If Gambit gets stuck, I have an A21 here (in my bedroom system).

Travelling atm is a bit of a problem for me.

But I have plenty of "head-banging" vinyl & CDs here.

It's alright Pegasus, we know how those Gold Coast types, like to think they're above everybody else, but the rest of SEQ knows the truth.

I'll know next time to turn up at his place with a bottle of Bundy instead of Jameson Black Barrel.

Nothing wrong with head banging music Terry,  you should get out of touch with your feminine side occasionally??

Edited by Gambit 1870

@Gambit 1870 and @Pegasus in case neither of you knew you two bogan Westies are practically neighbours with you both living near each other out there on the fringe of civilization long with the flies, bulldust and your much preferred loud head banger music.

I must admit us coastal sophisticated Jazz, female vocal listening types do wonder on occasion why we associate with the great unwashed basket of deplorables that live out there near the desert sometimes. 

By the way Jason, that bottle of Jameson's was very enjoyable thank you. ... ?

cheers,

Terry

Edited by TerryO
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Gambit 1870 said:

Cheers mate, I'll check them out?

Yes a lot of this comes down to System Synergy. I havn't heard the 998's with the VA Speakers, but they match beautifully with my Revel Ultima Studios and well with my System Audio Ranger Master's. The VA's are a quality Speaker so should match Ok. I would recommend an upgrade in Front End and Pre. as you would be stepping up substantially in Power Amps.

Good Luck.

On 22/01/2020 at 10:00 AM, TerryO said:

@Gambit 1870 and @Pegasus in case neither of you knew you two bogan Westies are practically neighbours with you both living near each other out there on the fringe of civilization long with the flies, bulldust and your much preferred loud head banger music.

I must admit us coastal sophisticated Jazz, female vocal listening types do wonder on occasion why we associate with the great unwashed basket of deplorables that live out there near the desert sometimes. 

By the way Jason, that bottle of Jameson's was very enjoyable thank you. ... ?

cheers,

Terry

Chris was trying to sell me some Iron Maiden LPs the other day.

I'll have to bring some "suitable" music along at next months meeting.