Thorens TD160 Wobbly Motor Pulley

Does anyone know how to eliminate motor pulley noise?

I recently got a used one and noticed that motor pulley is wobbling a bit when it spins and makes wobbling noise. This noise cannot be heard when music playing but when there is a pause or no music playing, then I can hear this low frequency tiny noise. I listen nearfield so the turntable is just over 1m from where I am sitting so it may be more noticeable to me than others.

When I see from the top, I can see that the pulley is wobbling a bit when spins and when i gently hold pressing it then noise disappear. 

Is this caused by pulley worn out and need new one?

If anyone has this kind of issue and solved out, could you kindly share? 

Thank you very much...

IMG_4184.JPG

I have one with a wobbly one as well and it doesn't seem to have any affect compared to my other one where the pulley doesn't wobble.

Initially, the guy I bought it off said it had a bent shaft but it is something worn in the pulley. (a bush or bearing I'd guess)

I haven't got around to doing anything with mine though.

• Like 1

Removed all of pulley parts and see the thin plate ring and cotton ring glued on top. This thing is fixed onto motor spindle so could not take this last bit off. When all of pulley parts off and spin the motor, it actually makes noise much louder and I can see this last bit wobbles too. 

After putting those pulley parts back and put rubber belt on, the noise is much less and back to tiny noise that I can only hear when I am very close to turntable and no music on. This is not a biggie but a bit annoying. :( 

IMG_4188.JPG

If the pulley is wobbling it's highly likely that the motor shaft is bent. This happens due to the platter potentially bumping into it and bending it during transit. Same thing happened to mine so I just ended up replacing the whole motor unit on the td160 as I found one cheap. They are fairly common aswell.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rondine said:

There's a clutch built into the pulley assembly. Clean it up and look at lubricating the motor bushes.

ron

Hi Ron. The rest of pulley parts look clean and well lubricated. Which part are you particularly referring to if you don't mind asking?

The wobbling part is bottom ring plate with felt on it as I understand.

IMG_4190.JPG

Edited by Spider27

First of all, thanks to @myskylab suggesting SRM Tech motor bearing kit. I applied onto back of the motor and it reduced knocking sound/noise noticeably and now it runs quiet.  It does not solve pulley wobble but reduce noise. I still see motor pulley wobble a bit but it does not concern me since I now could not hear noise from the motor and be able to enjoy listening without background motor or pulley noise.

If anyone has noise issue from motor or pulley, this could be a great solution.

IMG_4214.JPG

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LogicprObe said:

Got a link for this kit?

Sounds like a good thing to have for people with this table.

Here it is. Choose Thorens one instead of Rega.

https://recordclean.com.au/srm-motor-thrust-bearing-for-linn-rega-thorens.html

If you have eBay coupon code, then this could be a good alternative.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SRM-TECH-THORENS-TURNTABLE-MOTOR-THRUST-BEARING-/273797142713

Hope it helps. Cheers.

1 hour ago, Telecine said:

@Spider27 I have 1 of these on a td160 works really well and they are great people to deal with.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Telecine said:

1 minute ago, myskylab said:

@Spider27 I have 1 of these on a td160 works really well and they are great people to deal with.

Thank you very much for the suggestion. I will try it soon and put it on my top priority of upgrade choice. I was a bit hesitant to try this one because I read somewhere on internet that some people prefer plastic pulley instead. I guess that no product satisfy everyone...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spider27 said:

Thank you very much for the suggestion. I will try it soon and put it on my top priority of upgrade choice. I was a bit hesitant to try this one because I read somewhere on internet that some people prefer plastic pulley instead. I guess that no product satisfy everyone...

I can't see any reason to prefer plastic, particularly once it has worn out ;) 

The manufacturer claims to have serviced 2,000 Thorens turntables, so I would trust his opinion over that of others.

Edited by Telecine
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

20 hours ago, Spider27 said:

Here it is. Choose Thorens one instead of Rega.

https://recordclean.com.au/srm-motor-thrust-bearing-for-linn-rega-thorens.html

If you have eBay coupon code, then this could be a good alternative.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SRM-TECH-THORENS-TURNTABLE-MOTOR-THRUST-BEARING-/273797142713

Hope it helps. Cheers.

I got the one from the Aussie distributor............

• Like 1