Sign in to follow this  
lenticularis

ARB TT bought - cartridge advice please.

I recently bought a British made ARB turntable.

It hasn't arrived yet but I'm looking for cartridge advice, at a budget sadly.

Some of the TT details include:

NEW ACRYLIC PLATTER / BEARING,MOTOR AND DRIVE BELT.

REGA RB250 MODIFIED TONEARM POLISHED ARM TUBE ,STAINLESS STEEL STUB,BRASS UNDERSLUNG COUNTERWEIGHTS, REWIRED WITH LITZ WIRE, TERMINATED WITH GOLD PLATED CARTRIDGE CLIPS AND FEMALE RCA SOCKETS 

TWO TIER OPAQUE ACRYLIC  DESIGN, SOLID ALUMINIUM PARTS AND 4 ADJUSTABLE LOCKING CONE FEET.

My phono amp is either a Rega A2D (MM only), or a Project Phono Box II (MM and MC).
Don't laugh, but my budget is no more than say $300 and I'm open to buying from SNA classifieds. I'm initially going to fit a Grado DJ200 cartridge I have currently fitted on another TT.

The other amps in my system are a Bryston BP25 and a Gamut D200 power.

Musical genres extend across classical, folk and rock (no opera!). I have a fairly small LP collection however I like what I hear, even from cheaper TTs I've had, hence this purchase.

Thanks for any advice. 

Screenshot_20200120_085200.jpg

34 views and nobody has any advice?

RB250 has a 12gram effective mass. Which makes suited to most cartridges available new on the market outside of stuff like the DL103 and other more obscure moving coils. These are what I'd recommend at the sub $300 pricepoint

1. Nagoka MP110 - Most would regard this as having the best tonal balance at its price point warm and rich safest pick, standard elliptical stylus 

2. Denon DL110 - My personal pick high output moving coil which means can be used on a normal MM phono stage. Special eliptical meaning its a good tracker and is more resistant to IGD than the Nagaoka but not at the same level as the micro linear found on the VM95ML. Will be more detailed than the MP110 and have strong bass a signature trait of most Denon carts.

3. VM95ML - Cheapest new cart with a micro linear stylus. Longest lasting best tracking and suffers from the least IGD. Tilted in the slightest to the bright side of neutral. Wouldn't recommend use with a system which is on the bright side of neutral. Careful system matching required.

Edited by TheWretchedWorld

The Goldring 10xx series work well on the rega arms.

Can be a bit sibilant if not set up correctly though.

Edited by Batty

@TheWretchedWorld and @Batty  Thanks very much to both you, your replies are greatly appreciated. 

I'll certainly use your input when I am ready to upgrade my temporary measure of a legacy Grado DJ200. I paid for the cartridge to be fitted and the ARB TT to be set up properly. The shop would have fitted an old Ortofon VMS30 Mk II that I have but the cantilever compliance was found to be too worn. I would love to chase up a replacement stylus for that even though they are expensive and pretty much unobtainable.

It's sounding pretty good I must say, although I know I can do better.

BTW, The Gieseler Gold Tune Enhanced PS underneath is actually for my Klein III DAC. 

ARB-TT.jpeg

Edited by lenticularis

ATVM95 is probably the best budget cartridge on the market. You can go really budget and get it with an elliptical stylus for $100.00. There is a plethora of different stylus available for it including Microlinear and Shibata.  I have not had the VM95 but I did have the older AT95 with LPgear HE stylus and it certainly punched way above its weight.

Thanks Warren. I have certainly seen many glowing references to the AT VM95.