FiiO X5iii + FiiO A5 should I sell for M11

Hello Learned Colleges

As per the title I am thinking of selling my rig to put together funds for an M11.

As a note, I already have an M6 running with Sabbat E12 Ultras as my pocket hifi.

At home I use a Darkvoice 307 with my over-ears (LCD2's, HD650's, Beyer T90 and HiFiman HE4XX)

Lastly a FiiO X3ii with my Chord Mojo. However the X3ii's are getting a bit long in the tooth by todays tech standards.

I'm embracing Tidal HiFi now so changing my available sources of music available.

The Mojo and M6 wouldn't play together. A few times every minute I would hear a crackle of tsst type sound (like what you hear on the radio)

So for my other IEM's and some of the cans, should I sell the rig in the title and go for an M11?

I will probably sell the Fiio X3ii's as well leaving the Chord Mojo with no one to play with.

Your gathered knowledge would be appreciated.

I would recommend that you do a side by side comparison. If you're in Sydney you could go to either Addicted to Audio or Minidisc. Both stores are great to deal with and they will not put the hard sell on you. 

I did audition the M11 recently and I was impressed by sound quality, I think these provide great sound for the money your paying. 

• 4 weeks later...

Selling my MojoPoly combo as the M11 Pro sounds soooo good and is so convenient to use on the go. I had the M11 and when the 3.5mm port died I got it replaced under warranty with the Pro after paying the difference. If you can afford it, go for the Pro and don't look back. According to some reviews, it sound better than Fiio's flagship, M15.

12 minutes ago, sabloke said:

Selling my MojoPoly combo as the M11 Pro sounds soooo good and is so convenient to use on the go. I had the M11 and when the 3.5mm port died I got it replaced under warranty with the Pro after paying the difference. If you can afford it, go for the Pro and don't look back. According to some reviews, it sound better than Fiio's flagship, M15.

Wow, that’s a big call on both counts. I might need to audition the M11 Pro, although I am very pleased with the SP1000m and Andromeda combo.

Make sure you do listen to M11 Pro. Tidal, M11 Pro and MDR-Z1R are making me very happy at the office :) The Pro also works well with IEMs, my Noble K10s can't pick up the slightest hiss at any level. That wasn't the case with the M11 though. I'm not a spec junkie but looks like the THX amps are doing some magic in there.

I didn't go A&K because I hate the 2.5mm with a borderline pathological passion. Don't feel I am missing anything with the Pro though. 

Edited by sabloke

You can buy the X5iii brand new for $300.00 so your not going to get much for your rig. Unless there is something specific you don't like about that combo - keep it.

That crazy Hawaiian dude on you tube thinks it's  quite a respectable combo.

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/01/2020 at 9:24 PM, Tin Man said:

Hello Learned Colleges

As per the title I am thinking of selling my rig to put together funds for an M11.

As a note, I already have an M6 running with Sabbat E12 Ultras as my pocket hifi.

At home I use a Darkvoice 307 with my over-ears (LCD2's, HD650's, Beyer T90 and HiFiman HE4XX)

Lastly a FiiO X3ii with my Chord Mojo. However the X3ii's are getting a bit long in the tooth by todays tech standards.

I'm embracing Tidal HiFi now so changing my available sources of music available.

The Mojo and M6 wouldn't play together. A few times every minute I would hear a crackle of tsst type sound (like what you hear on the radio)

So for my other IEM's and some of the cans, should I sell the rig in the title and go for an M11?

I will probably sell the Fiio X3ii's as well leaving the Chord Mojo with no one to play with.

Your gathered knowledge would be appreciated.

As per others recomendadtions I'd try and audition M11 and M11Pro back to back.. just did so myself last week as looking to upgrade from X5iii to go the streaming route similar to yourself. 

M11 and M11pro sounded quite different to me,  both exceptional for the money...however it depends what sound signature you like..

I actually preffered the M11 in a blind back to back with my Tidal MQA test tracks list. Sure the noise floor is better on the M11 pro but for me that hasnt ended up being an issue.. only on the occasional song is it enough to be noticeably annoying. 

Using with Z1R and Campfire Solaris...plus HD6XX. Obviously I like bass heavy/warm sound signature... however also tried M11Pro with Campfire Andromeda and while it was super clear and airy  it was too clinical for me. I like my. V shaped response. 

Either way, absolutely worth selling off and uograding.  Im doing the same right now. 

Also FYI I also blind back to backed the M11pro with  couple of AK Daps, (SP1000 and AK240) and  while there was a distinct improvement in clarity and sound stage,l etc , it wasnt doubel the price worth in ky opinion...

My 2c worth. 

• 5 months later...

I recently purchased a Fiio x5 iii (3rd Gen) here on SNA.   Only had it a few days but mighty impressed with it.   Purely for my arvo walks and in car listening, via bluetooth.    My previous unit was a Shanling M1, so reasonably big step up.  

Vocals crystal clear and very smooth sounding overall .   I had abit of 5FDP and Bad Wolves pumping today as I did some painting using my Sennheiser Momentum over-ear HP's and really loved the sound I was getting.

I do have a chord mojo that I could hook up to the x5 but the proprietary battery is basically rogered after 3 years of use.   No-longer holds charge for more than 30 mins.     I loved the Mojo when it was going well but the upsell to get a new replacement 'Chord specific' battery is very disappointing.     I hate the word gouging, but it is borderline.  

Just my 2 cents FWIIW.

Regards Cazzesman

• 4 weeks later...

Update.    Got the bug abit and recently update from the Fiio X5 iii to the M11.   I thought the x5 was good but the M11 is a ripper.   Software is super quick.  Bluetooth brilliant.    Loving it and it easily tops the X5 IMHO.

Regards Cazzesman