ShrimpDuck

Right channel silent until volume is turned up on Yamaha receiver

Hello!

I have been having an issue with my Yamaha RX-V573 receiver for some time now. It has developed a problem of the right channel playing little to no volume when the receiver is first turned on until the volume is turned up. My receiver is set to start at -50.0dB and at this level the left channel is very noticeably louder and it sounds as if the right is dead silent. As I turn the volume up to -20.0dB I can hear the sound shift back into the centre as the right channel starts playing at a normal volume now. After I have turned the receiver up, I am able to lower the volume back down to -50.0dB where both channels play at their appropriate volumes but if the content is very quiet or nothing is playing the right channel can cut out again and I have to turn the volume back up.

Now, I have done some trouble shooting myself to try and isolate the problem. I have switched the left and right speaker outputs and the problem still persists on the right output channel from the receiver so the speaker wire and the speakers aren't to blame. I am currently using optical as my source from a PC however I have used HDMI and AirPlay, all presenting the same issues. The issue is prevalent on both Zone A and Zone B of my receiver in the right channel of these. I have also blown out dust from inside the receiver with some compressed air and I desoldered and switched the relay from Zone A (RY203) with the relay from Zone B (RY202) as relays seem to be the culprit found on other posts however this did not fix the issue. The relays themselves are sealed so I am unable to clean the contacts out with de-oxit but seeing as they are completely sealed and this is a 2012 model it seems unlikely that they are to blame.

As a temporary fix, I am able to plug my right speaker into the Surround Right output of the receiver and put the receiver into 7 channel stereo mode (This is the DSP mode, not true 7 channel audio). This takes a stereo source and plays the same input on the surround channels. Interestingly this channel works perfectly and suffers no volume issues even though it is just a stereo source being duplicated onto the surround channels.

If anyone has any inklings or ideas about what the issue may be it would be greatly appreciated as this is a very befuddling issue!

Receiver: Yamaha Rx-V573

Speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 8.3

Source: Windows PC onboard soundcard via optical

Edited by ShrimpDuck

10 hours ago, ShrimpDuck said:

Hello!

I have been having an issue with my Yamaha RX-V573 receiver for some time now. It has developed a problem of the right channel playing little to no volume when the receiver is first turned on until the volume is turned up. My receiver is set to start at -50.0dB and at this level the left channel is very noticeably louder and it sounds as if the right is dead silent. As I turn the volume up to -20.0dB I can hear the sound shift back into the centre as the right channel starts playing at a normal volume now. After I have turned the receiver up, I am able to lower the volume back down to -50.0dB where both channels play at their appropriate volumes but if the content is very quiet or nothing is playing the right channel can cut out again and I have to turn the volume back up.

Now, I have done some trouble shooting myself to try and isolate the problem. I have switched the left and right speaker outputs and the problem still persists on the right output channel from the receiver so the speaker wire and the speakers aren't to blame. I am currently using optical as my source from a PC however I have used HDMI and AirPlay, all presenting the same issues. The issue is prevalent on both Zone A and Zone B of my receiver in the right channel of these. I have also blown out dust from inside the receiver with some compressed air and I desoldered and switched the relay from Zone A (RY203) with the relay from Zone B (RY202) as relays seem to be the culprit found on other posts however this did not fix the issue. The relays themselves are sealed so I am unable to clean the contacts out with de-oxit but seeing as they are completely sealed and this is a 2012 model it seems unlikely that they are to blame.

As a temporary fix, I am able to plug my right speaker into the Surround Right output of the receiver and put the receiver into 7 channel stereo mode (This is the DSP mode, not true 7 channel audio). This takes a stereo source and plays the same input on the surround channels. Interestingly this channel works perfectly and suffers no volume issues even though it is just a stereo source being duplicated onto the surround channels.

If anyone has any inklings or ideas about what the issue may be it would be greatly appreciated as this is a very befuddling issue!

Receiver: Yamaha Rx-V573

Speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 8.3

Source: Windows PC onboard soundcard via optical

It suggests a worn potentiometer that is passing audio signals reasonably on one channel but not the other. Annoyingly too at different levels of your listening. It will need replacing. A service manual is here:    https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/yamaha/rx-v573.shtml     which requires free membership of HiFi engine.  A brief look shows the potentiometer to be part of a pcb assembly on page 114 of the manual. 

I would strongly suggest you take it to Yamaha to service, as the original part being part of a pcb looks to me only capable of being changed with another pcb.     Part ZA572300- ZA573100  https://au.yamaha.com/en/support/contacts/index.html      despite being a simple potentiometer   Alternatively it could be desoldered and another equivalent fitted, but there is likely better result with replacing the pcb part as a complete assembly. 

On 20/01/2020 at 8:54 AM, stereo coffee said:

It suggests a worn potentiometer that is passing audio signals reasonably on one channel but not the other. Annoyingly too at different levels of your listening. It will need replacing. A service manual is here:    https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/yamaha/rx-v573.shtml     which requires free membership of HiFi engine.  A brief look shows the potentiometer to be part of a pcb assembly on page 114 of the manual. 

I would strongly suggest you take it to Yamaha to service, as the original part being part of a pcb looks to me only capable of being changed with another pcb.     Part ZA572300- ZA573100  https://au.yamaha.com/en/support/contacts/index.html      despite being a simple potentiometer   Alternatively it could be desoldered and another equivalent fitted, but there is likely better result with replacing the pcb part as a complete assembly. 

Is a worn pot the same thing as an oxidized or dirty pot as in I just need to clean it out to restore it or are you saying it is physically worn out?

If I plug headphones in the sound works perfectly and don't the speaker line outputs use the same pot as the headphones as it is a digital receiver?

Edited by ShrimpDuck

8 hours ago, ShrimpDuck said:

Is a worn pot the same thing as an oxidized or dirty pot as in I just need to clean it out to restore it or are you saying it is physically worn out?

If I plug headphones in the sound works perfectly and don't the speaker line outputs use the same pot as the headphones as it is a digital receiver?

The Yamaha is an extremely  complex receiver, with a service manual with 134 pages.  Can you let me know if the volume control you use is a continuous rotation type- ie it has small notched increments but continuously turns, and a display then tells you the volume readout ?  It looks like it uses a digital volume control rather than a conventional potentiometer. Hence you would need to look at all the audio paths and connection blocks to ascertain why you are getting the fault you presently have. 

The Yamaha has a  volume control up and down buttons also on its remote handset does this function OK ?  If so it might prove as ability to adjust volume until you can get the Yamaha service centre  to look at it for you. 

There are usually one of two methods adjusting volume where we also see vol up vol down on a handset  - it either uses a motorised potentiometer, or a digital potentiometer

The speaker line outputs are at a much greater level via individual amplifiers for its many catered outputs, and do not look to be associated directly with the headphone output. 

if you download the service manual, you will begin to appreciate the complexity, and why booking it into the yamaha service centre is really the best destination to sort this problem  out.    https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/yamaha/rx-v573.shtml

But let me know if I can help further. 

As alluded to by @stereo coffee the receiver uses a rotary encoder, instead of a potentiometer. That may be the fault, but it might also be something else. If the volume control works OK using the remote, then it is likely that the encoder is at fault.

On 19/01/2020 at 9:40 PM, ShrimpDuck said:

Actually, this bit would suggest it isn't the rotary encoder. At start up, both channels should be the same level, and won't change till the control microprocessor receives pulses. As yours are at different levels on start up, it is most likely something else.

You could download the manual, and run the "Self-Diagnostic Mode" but it looks like a trip to the service tech anyway.

Edited by bob_m_54
more info

Yeah so it is a continuously rotating volume control and it all works fine, same with the remote. 

Had a look at all the self diagnose modes, none were out of the ordinary.

I dig some more digging and both Zone A and Zone B use the same front Left and right channel amplifier when the receiver is put into that mode. When in this mode, both zone b and zone a exhibit the quiet right channel. This suggests that there is something wrong with the right channel amplification section possibly the transistor for the right channel? I could try transplanting a resistor from one of the channels that I don't use to fix the channel.

Unfortunately a repair tech would be too expensive so may as well just buy a replacement receiver.

I wouldn't go swapping parts unless you know what you're doing. It's hard to say where the problem is though, you'd have to do a bit of fault tracing with a multimeter, and ideally with a cro and sig gen.

Anyway, lots of luck with it mate, I do hope you get it sorted.

On 23/01/2020 at 2:20 PM, ShrimpDuck said:

Yeah so it is a continuously rotating volume control and it all works fine, same with the remote. 

Had a look at all the self diagnose modes, none were out of the ordinary.

I dig some more digging and both Zone A and Zone B use the same front Left and right channel amplifier when the receiver is put into that mode. When in this mode, both zone b and zone a exhibit the quiet right channel. This suggests that there is something wrong with the right channel amplification section possibly the transistor for the right channel? I could try transplanting a resistor from one of the channels that I don't use to fix the channel.

Unfortunately a repair tech would be too expensive so may as well just buy a replacement receiver.

Did you ever get to the bottom of this? I am having the same problem with a Yamaha RX-V495. It is silent until the volume is turned up, but then it works fine at lower volumes. Somewhere online, I have forgotten where, someone suggested that it might be bad coupling capacitors somewhere. Sigh.

Posted (edited)
On 20/05/2020 at 9:49 PM, fakejameswood said:

Did you ever get to the bottom of this? I am having the same problem with a Yamaha RX-V495. It is silent until the volume is turned up, but then it works fine at lower volumes. Somewhere online, I have forgotten where, someone suggested that it might be bad coupling capacitors somewhere. Sigh.

A followup in case it's helpful to others. In my case the problem appears to have been dirty relay contacts in the speaker protection circuit. I took the relay out to measure it so that I could order a replacement, and realised the cover pops off. So I opened the relay up and gently cleaned the contacts inside with an emory board (I don't have any spray contact cleaner).

This appears to have solved the problem!

(The exact problem was that I was getting no speaker output until the volume was cranked up, at which point returning to low volume worked just fine. I ruled out the volume pot as the source of the issue because I could perform this volume-up-down manoeuvre from the input device (computer) OR the amp itself.)

Edited by fakejameswood