Jump to content

ShrimpDuck

Right channel silent until volume is turned up on Yamaha receiver

Recommended Posts

Hello!

 

I have been having an issue with my Yamaha RX-V573 receiver for some time now. It has developed a problem of the right channel playing little to no volume when the receiver is first turned on until the volume is turned up. My receiver is set to start at -50.0dB and at this level the left channel is very noticeably louder and it sounds as if the right is dead silent. As I turn the volume up to -20.0dB I can hear the sound shift back into the centre as the right channel starts playing at a normal volume now. After I have turned the receiver up, I am able to lower the volume back down to -50.0dB where both channels play at their appropriate volumes but if the content is very quiet or nothing is playing the right channel can cut out again and I have to turn the volume back up.

 

Now, I have done some trouble shooting myself to try and isolate the problem. I have switched the left and right speaker outputs and the problem still persists on the right output channel from the receiver so the speaker wire and the speakers aren't to blame. I am currently using optical as my source from a PC however I have used HDMI and AirPlay, all presenting the same issues. The issue is prevalent on both Zone A and Zone B of my receiver in the right channel of these. I have also blown out dust from inside the receiver with some compressed air and I desoldered and switched the relay from Zone A (RY203) with the relay from Zone B (RY202) as relays seem to be the culprit found on other posts however this did not fix the issue. The relays themselves are sealed so I am unable to clean the contacts out with de-oxit but seeing as they are completely sealed and this is a 2012 model it seems unlikely that they are to blame.

 

As a temporary fix, I am able to plug my right speaker into the Surround Right output of the receiver and put the receiver into 7 channel stereo mode (This is the DSP mode, not true 7 channel audio). This takes a stereo source and plays the same input on the surround channels. Interestingly this channel works perfectly and suffers no volume issues even though it is just a stereo source being duplicated onto the surround channels.

 

If anyone has any inklings or ideas about what the issue may be it would be greatly appreciated as this is a very befuddling issue!

 

Receiver: Yamaha Rx-V573

Speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 8.3

Source: Windows PC onboard soundcard via optical

Edited by ShrimpDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ShrimpDuck said:

Hello!

 

I have been having an issue with my Yamaha RX-V573 receiver for some time now. It has developed a problem of the right channel playing little to no volume when the receiver is first turned on until the volume is turned up. My receiver is set to start at -50.0dB and at this level the left channel is very noticeably louder and it sounds as if the right is dead silent. As I turn the volume up to -20.0dB I can hear the sound shift back into the centre as the right channel starts playing at a normal volume now. After I have turned the receiver up, I am able to lower the volume back down to -50.0dB where both channels play at their appropriate volumes but if the content is very quiet or nothing is playing the right channel can cut out again and I have to turn the volume back up.

 

Now, I have done some trouble shooting myself to try and isolate the problem. I have switched the left and right speaker outputs and the problem still persists on the right output channel from the receiver so the speaker wire and the speakers aren't to blame. I am currently using optical as my source from a PC however I have used HDMI and AirPlay, all presenting the same issues. The issue is prevalent on both Zone A and Zone B of my receiver in the right channel of these. I have also blown out dust from inside the receiver with some compressed air and I desoldered and switched the relay from Zone A (RY203) with the relay from Zone B (RY202) as relays seem to be the culprit found on other posts however this did not fix the issue. The relays themselves are sealed so I am unable to clean the contacts out with de-oxit but seeing as they are completely sealed and this is a 2012 model it seems unlikely that they are to blame.

 

As a temporary fix, I am able to plug my right speaker into the Surround Right output of the receiver and put the receiver into 7 channel stereo mode (This is the DSP mode, not true 7 channel audio). This takes a stereo source and plays the same input on the surround channels. Interestingly this channel works perfectly and suffers no volume issues even though it is just a stereo source being duplicated onto the surround channels.

 

If anyone has any inklings or ideas about what the issue may be it would be greatly appreciated as this is a very befuddling issue!

 

Receiver: Yamaha Rx-V573

Speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 8.3

Source: Windows PC onboard soundcard via optical

It suggests a worn potentiometer that is passing audio signals reasonably on one channel but not the other. Annoyingly too at different levels of your listening. It will need replacing. A service manual is here:    https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/yamaha/rx-v573.shtml     which requires free membership of HiFi engine.  A brief look shows the potentiometer to be part of a pcb assembly on page 114 of the manual. 

 

I would strongly suggest you take it to Yamaha to service, as the original part being part of a pcb looks to me only capable of being changed with another pcb.     Part ZA572300- ZA573100  https://au.yamaha.com/en/support/contacts/index.html      despite being a simple potentiometer   Alternatively it could be desoldered and another equivalent fitted, but there is likely better result with replacing the pcb part as a complete assembly. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/01/2020 at 8:54 AM, stereo coffee said:

It suggests a worn potentiometer that is passing audio signals reasonably on one channel but not the other. Annoyingly too at different levels of your listening. It will need replacing. A service manual is here:    https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/yamaha/rx-v573.shtml     which requires free membership of HiFi engine.  A brief look shows the potentiometer to be part of a pcb assembly on page 114 of the manual. 

 

I would strongly suggest you take it to Yamaha to service, as the original part being part of a pcb looks to me only capable of being changed with another pcb.     Part ZA572300- ZA573100  https://au.yamaha.com/en/support/contacts/index.html      despite being a simple potentiometer   Alternatively it could be desoldered and another equivalent fitted, but there is likely better result with replacing the pcb part as a complete assembly. 

 

Is a worn pot the same thing as an oxidized or dirty pot as in I just need to clean it out to restore it or are you saying it is physically worn out?

 

If I plug headphones in the sound works perfectly and don't the speaker line outputs use the same pot as the headphones as it is a digital receiver?

Edited by ShrimpDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ShrimpDuck said:

Is a worn pot the same thing as an oxidized or dirty pot as in I just need to clean it out to restore it or are you saying it is physically worn out?

 

If I plug headphones in the sound works perfectly and don't the speaker line outputs use the same pot as the headphones as it is a digital receiver?

The Yamaha is an extremely  complex receiver, with a service manual with 134 pages.  Can you let me know if the volume control you use is a continuous rotation type- ie it has small notched increments but continuously turns, and a display then tells you the volume readout ?  It looks like it uses a digital volume control rather than a conventional potentiometer. Hence you would need to look at all the audio paths and connection blocks to ascertain why you are getting the fault you presently have. 

 

The Yamaha has a  volume control up and down buttons also on its remote handset does this function OK ?  If so it might prove as ability to adjust volume until you can get the Yamaha service centre  to look at it for you. 

 

There are usually one of two methods adjusting volume where we also see vol up vol down on a handset  - it either uses a motorised potentiometer, or a digital potentiometer

 

The speaker line outputs are at a much greater level via individual amplifiers for its many catered outputs, and do not look to be associated directly with the headphone output. 

 

if you download the service manual, you will begin to appreciate the complexity, and why booking it into the yamaha service centre is really the best destination to sort this problem  out.    https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/yamaha/rx-v573.shtml

But let me know if I can help further. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


As alluded to by @stereo coffee the receiver uses a rotary encoder, instead of a potentiometer. That may be the fault, but it might also be something else. If the volume control works OK using the remote, then it is likely that the encoder is at fault.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/01/2020 at 9:40 PM, ShrimpDuck said:

I have been having an issue with my Yamaha RX-V573 receiver for some time now. It has developed a problem of the right channel playing little to no volume when the receiver is first turned on until the volume is turned up. My receiver is set to start at -50.0dB and at this level the left channel is very noticeably louder and it sounds as if the right is dead silent. As I turn the volume up to -20.0dB I can hear the sound shift back into the centre as the right channel starts playing at a normal volume now. After I have turned the receiver up, I am able to lower the volume back down to -50.0dB where both channels play at their appropriate volumes but if the content is very quiet or nothing is playing the right channel can cut out again and I have to turn the volume back up.

Actually, this bit would suggest it isn't the rotary encoder. At start up, both channels should be the same level, and won't change till the control microprocessor receives pulses. As yours are at different levels on start up, it is most likely something else.

 

You could download the manual, and run the "Self-Diagnostic Mode" but it looks like a trip to the service tech anyway.

Edited by bob_m_54
more info

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah so it is a continuously rotating volume control and it all works fine, same with the remote. 

 

Had a look at all the self diagnose modes, none were out of the ordinary.

 

I dig some more digging and both Zone A and Zone B use the same front Left and right channel amplifier when the receiver is put into that mode. When in this mode, both zone b and zone a exhibit the quiet right channel. This suggests that there is something wrong with the right channel amplification section possibly the transistor for the right channel? I could try transplanting a resistor from one of the channels that I don't use to fix the channel.

 

Unfortunately a repair tech would be too expensive so may as well just buy a replacement receiver.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't go swapping parts unless you know what you're doing. It's hard to say where the problem is though, you'd have to do a bit of fault tracing with a multimeter, and ideally with a cro and sig gen.

 

Anyway, lots of luck with it mate, I do hope you get it sorted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


On 23/01/2020 at 2:20 PM, ShrimpDuck said:

Yeah so it is a continuously rotating volume control and it all works fine, same with the remote. 

 

Had a look at all the self diagnose modes, none were out of the ordinary.

 

I dig some more digging and both Zone A and Zone B use the same front Left and right channel amplifier when the receiver is put into that mode. When in this mode, both zone b and zone a exhibit the quiet right channel. This suggests that there is something wrong with the right channel amplification section possibly the transistor for the right channel? I could try transplanting a resistor from one of the channels that I don't use to fix the channel.

 

Unfortunately a repair tech would be too expensive so may as well just buy a replacement receiver.

Did you ever get to the bottom of this? I am having the same problem with a Yamaha RX-V495. It is silent until the volume is turned up, but then it works fine at lower volumes. Somewhere online, I have forgotten where, someone suggested that it might be bad coupling capacitors somewhere. Sigh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 20/05/2020 at 9:49 PM, fakejameswood said:

Did you ever get to the bottom of this? I am having the same problem with a Yamaha RX-V495. It is silent until the volume is turned up, but then it works fine at lower volumes. Somewhere online, I have forgotten where, someone suggested that it might be bad coupling capacitors somewhere. Sigh.

A followup in case it's helpful to others. In my case the problem appears to have been dirty relay contacts in the speaker protection circuit. I took the relay out to measure it so that I could order a replacement, and realised the cover pops off. So I opened the relay up and gently cleaned the contacts inside with an emery board (I don't have any spray contact cleaner).

 

This appears to have solved the problem!

 

(The exact problem was that I was getting no speaker output until the volume was cranked up, at which point returning to low volume worked just fine. I ruled out the volume pot as the source of the issue because I could perform this volume-up-down manoeuvre from the input device (computer) OR the amp itself.)

Edited by fakejameswood

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interestingly I have the same problem with my Yamaha AVR (also right channel), only it crackled a bit as well and it's volume would fluctuate as the unit heated up during use. Using the Zone 2 amps set up in Bi-Amp mode worked for a while, then that started having issues too. I don't have much budget, so in the end I bought a cheaper second-hand amp from Cash Converters, set it up in Analog Direct mode and fed it with the pre-out from the Yamaha for the front left and right channels. This worked a charm. I still use the Yamaha power amps for surround & centre channels. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Seems like a common problem. So is it the terminal that gets dirty or something inside the amp?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wasn't it a dirty contact in the speaker mute relay?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where is that? Someone should take some pics. I'm keen to open it up and clean it myself but I'll need some guidance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, pwstereo said:

Wasn't it a dirty contact in the speaker mute relay?

That's what the problem was for me, yes.

 

On 09/06/2020 at 10:34 PM, Faust said:

Seems like a common problem. So is it the terminal that gets dirty or something inside the amp?

For mine it was the contacts inside the relay that needed cleaning. It probably would have made sense to replace the whole relay but I had nothing to lose by trying to clean it, and it worked.

The relays are the black boxes on the main PCB. From memory the main amp is the one closest to the front (on the RX-V495 anyway), and the areas on the PCB  are labeled so it was pretty easy to find. I removed mine from the PCB, intending to replace it, then realised the plastic cover can pop off the relay. So I popped it off and sanded the contacts.

 

Edited by fakejameswood
relay cover clarity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did anything else besides the cover have to be removed to get to it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Faust said:

Did anything else besides the cover have to be removed to get to it?

Yes, I removed the main PCB, and to get to that I had to remove some other boards and unplug a bunch of connectors. It wasn't super-difficult, but it is a mains-powered device so there is some element of risk (both to the device and to you). I went into it knowing I might lose the whole amp, but was able to get it reassembled. You can see the relays just by removing the top of the amp, so you could always have an explore before you decide what you want to do.

 

Also note that in my previous post I sort of implied that I could have cleaned the relay contacts without removing the relay from the board - in hindsight I think it was necessary to remove it from the board, because you need to lift the relay's cover over two tabs and I'm not sure that would be possible without access from the bottom side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there a risk of electric shock even if it's unplugged? If I lose the amp then I'm in the same position as when I started so nothing really lost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Faust said:

Is there a risk of electric shock even if it's unplugged? If I lose the amp then I'm in the same position as when I started so nothing really lost.

I am not an expert by any means, but my understanding is that yes, the large capacitors can give you a nasty shock. I believe they're supposed to self-discharge but I'm not certain. I unplugged from the wall with the amp on, the theory being that the amp would use up the power in the capacitors. I also tried not to touch the capacitor contacts! I think this was all unnecessary but I've been zapped by capacitors before and it is Not Fun 😆

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Classifieds Statistics


    Currently Active Ads

    Total Sales (Since 2018)

    Total Sales Value (Last 14 Days)

    Total Ads Value (Since March 2020)
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...