Sign in to follow this  
Ericcklau

DAP with Android Auto

I am just wondering does anyone use DAP in car with android auto via USB connection? any recommendation which DAP to use?

I would suggest just using an older android phone with a data sim card, rather than a dap. Much more versatile device and probably cheaper too.

26 minutes ago, AudioGeek said:

I would suggest just using an older android phone with a data sim card, rather than a dap. Much more versatile device and probably cheaper too.

Thank you for the advice, I am just thinking to use a bigger storage capacity of DAP so that i can store all my music into the device.

Some car head units allow FLAC playback from a connected USB source. Not sure about the decoding on them (and the DACs/amps can very in quality) but if you had a small portable flash drive that might work. Not sure how it'd interface with Android Auto though.

Another option would be finding a phone that supports MicroSD cards - The Samsung Galaxy S10+ is the only vaguely recent flagship from memory I can think of that supports it, and  the LG V50 ThinQ which is a weird but (I think) cool phone. SanDisk now sells 1TB MicroSD cards, so that could work for you? 

Something that runs stock Android?

Onkyo, Pioneer units. Maybe Hiby etc?

3 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

Something that runs stock Android?

Onkyo, Pioneer units. Maybe Hiby etc?

Yeah I acturally had a onkyo DP-x1, the android os stopped updating at 5.1 and I cannot install android auto to it anymore. I wonder the newer onkyo, pioneer will work?

52 minutes ago, commawaffle said:

Some car head units allow FLAC playback from a connected USB source. Not sure about the decoding on them (and the DACs/amps can very in quality) but if you had a small portable flash drive that might work. Not sure how it'd interface with Android Auto though.

Another option would be finding a phone that supports MicroSD cards - The Samsung Galaxy S10+ is the only vaguely recent flagship from memory I can think of that supports it, and  the LG V50 ThinQ which is a weird but (I think) cool phone. SanDisk now sells 1TB MicroSD cards, so that could work for you? 

I got a lot of dsf music files that's why I need a DAP or phone to play it, my car unit does not support dsf files. V50 is good but expensive to buy a new phone with 1TB card, I already had 2x256gb card I wish I can use them.

Hiby R6, for example, runs Android 8 (Oreo). May work?

1 hour ago, Bengineer said:

Thank u let me have a look on it

7 hours ago, Bengineer said:

Hiby and all the Chinese DAP like Fiio may not work out of the box. My understanding is they run Android but not with Google service, so no Play Store, Maps, etc.

Sony latest Walkman (A100 series and Z507) does run full Android with Google Service and Store, so they might work. But they are USB C devices, don't know what converter you need to get data to function (might work straight away, haven't tried). Also don't think they will have GPS, so things like Map might be problematic.

A100 is available in Australia and comes with a very cute case and graphic, I don't think 507 is in country yet.

10 minutes ago, rx79ez08 said:

Hiby and all the Chinese DAP like Fiio may not work out of the box. My understanding is they run Android but not with Google service, so no Play Store, Maps, etc.

Sony latest Walkman (A100 series and Z507) does run full Android with Google Service and Store, so they might work. But they are USB C devices, don't know what converter you need to get data to function (might work straight away, haven't tried). Also don't think they will have GPS, so things like Map might be problematic.

A100 is available in Australia and comes with a very cute case and graphic, I don't think 507 is in country yet.

Thank you for the great tip 

I am suddenly in doubt, when u connect to android auto does the music play via usb or bluetooth to car system?

2 minutes ago, Ericcklau said:

I am suddenly in doubt, when u connect to android auto does the music play via usb or bluetooth to car system?

Music is via USB. Calls are via Bluetooth. 

20 minutes ago, commawaffle said:

Music is via USB. Calls are via Bluetooth. 

Ok that's better 

Does it make much difference?

Guessing stock car speakers. And either way using the DAC in the headunit not the DAP?

2 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

Guessing stock car speakers. And either way using the DAC in the headunit not the DAP?

I think using usb is sounds better than bluetooth

I guess if it's not a newer BT version. Still head unit DAC through car speakers. You'd imagine a line out of DAP to the head unit would sound better again.

Speculation without knowing his car.

Current Ford Ranger sounds average. Old M140i had the Harmon Kardon upgraded system was decent.

2 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

I guess if it's not a newer BT version. Still head unit DAC through car speakers. You'd imagine a line out of DAP to the head unit would sound better again.

Speculation without knowing his car.

Current Ford Ranger sounds average. Old M140i had the Harmon Kardon upgraded system was decent.

My car come with Krell audio system, i think is good enough for me at the moment. Need to have some serious listening to compare between bluetooth and usb which I have not done so far.

On 19/01/2020 at 8:45 PM, Bengineer said:

Connecting the phone to the head-unit with an audio cable will use the phones DAC, no?

It would. He said BT vs USB though, both Headunit DAC in that case